If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#111Fetus_BrigadePosted 1/30/2013 12:28:04 PM
I like the option of dual languages anyway, even if I do end up playing the games in my native tongue. I can't comment on the Japanese VA since I've yet to bother with it (dub just feels more...relative?) and I'm not too familiar with the Japanese accents to tell the exact differences. I may give it a go my second playthrough, though.
---
"Conversation, like certain portions of the anatomy, always runs more smoothly when lubricated."
#112MuflagginPosted 1/30/2013 12:35:42 PM
Lo_Manolo posted...
I always watch on the original voice. Everything.
Doesnt matter how good the dub is, the original VA is ALWAYS better.

I'm brazilian, so I'm used to watch subbed movies and everything else but I think you guys should give a chance to original voice acting.
Besides, japanaese sound sooooo much cooler than english

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Notice he has no idea concerning the quality of the performance the japanese va's give as he does not comment on their competency or list examples of which actors perform well and how, likely because he does not speak japanese. To him it just "sounds so much cooler".

Because it's common sense that English VA quality is bad.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#113OmegaDL50Posted 1/30/2013 12:38:10 PM
I'm trying to grasp this mindset of people using statement "I'll play the game as it was meant to be played"

That's implying Level-5 never intended to hire a localization firm to actually "translate" the game.

I'm sure the subs your reading on the English release don't even match the spoken dialog in Japanese due to complete differences in context and connotation, even jokes and word play won't ever be understood due to their meaning being lost in translation. So much for trying to "play the game as intended"

If the devs never intended the game to be English, it would have never been localized in the first place!
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#114hyperknees91Posted 1/30/2013 12:42:52 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
I'm trying to grasp this mindset of people using statement "I'll play the game as it was meant to be played"

That's implying Level-5 never intended to hire a localization firm to actually "translate" the game.

I'm sure the subs your reading on the English release don't even match the spoken dialog in Japanese due to complete differences in context and connotation, even jokes and word play won't ever be understood due to their meaning being lost in translation. So much for trying to "play the game as intended"

If the devs never intended the game to be English, it would have never been localized in the first place!

People need to find some way in saying that the english is worse is why. Generally dubs will be a tad less natural due to lip flaps.

And yeah they don't match the spoken dialogue completely (because it would make the writing rather dull if it just did a word for word translation).

Cmon guys, the english actors got talent and the japanese actors have talent...is it so hard to accept?
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#115DragonSamuraiPosted 1/30/2013 12:46:34 PM
These subs vs dubs topics are so amusing to watch. They always get out of control like this, turn into weeaboo witch (no pun intended) hunts and the TC makes no attempt to shut down the topic after it's spiraled into nothing but exchanges of:

"It sucks!"

"No, you!"

I'm the type of person who enjoys both Japanese and English. Heck, there are some anime out there that are really good in both languages, believe it or not. Some people have a hard time deciding which to listen to for some series because both are that good.
---
"You're turning into a real human being. You're beginning to confuse generosity with stupidity." Odd to Aelita (Code Lyoko)
#116flamesaber111Posted 1/30/2013 12:47:32 PM
Muflaggin posted...
Lo_Manolo posted...
I always watch on the original voice. Everything.
Doesnt matter how good the dub is, the original VA is ALWAYS better.

I'm brazilian, so I'm used to watch subbed movies and everything else but I think you guys should give a chance to original voice acting.
Besides, japanaese sound sooooo much cooler than english

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Notice he has no idea concerning the quality of the performance the japanese va's give as he does not comment on their competency or list examples of which actors perform well and how, likely because he does not speak japanese. To him it just "sounds so much cooler".

Because it's common sense that English VA quality is bad.

Well then I'd love to know where you got your "common sense" from. Common sense for normal people dictates that there are Dubs and Subs that are good and bad, not that Subs are always better.
---
Manga that everyone should read: Fairy Tail
#117blubagaPosted 1/30/2013 12:56:48 PM
Muflaggin posted...
how can japanese fit the characters more when the game is set in america? some people, i swear.

Is it actually stated to take place in America? Don't recall that being said in game.

Yes, in the NA version of the game the city is called Motorsville; as in "The Motor City" Detroit. And in the Jpn version of the game the city is called Hotroit; as in a warm version of Detroit...it's in the back of the prima guide where the developers (a room full of Japanese men) said that Olivers home was an idealized Detroit (i.e. America).

And to the person that said Drippy's American VA sucked, that's probably because he didn't have an American VA. The dub work was done by the Brits....all the American accents you hear aren't native accents. Which leads me to believe that Drippy's Welsh is authentic Welsh.

I actually have to give the VA for Oliver some credit, they hired an actual kid who probably hasn't perfected his fake American accent yet instead of hiring a woman to do the voice of a little boy. Sure he wasn't great, but to me it adds a certain level of authenticity.
---
Onimusha HD trilogy, make it happen Capcom.
#118biohazardoud856Posted 1/30/2013 12:58:59 PM
I generally enjoy watching films in their native language. I don't believe that it has one, but I couldn't imagine watching Pan's Labyrinth in English, or any other movie, be it Japanese, or whatever. Old Boy was another film. It just looks and sounds wrong... And sometimes the translation can just sound odd. Remember Advent Children when Tifa said "Dilly-dally, shilly-shally." Or Cloud remarking after he got over his guilt that he felt lighter and that and maybe it was because he lost weight?

That being said, if it's decent, I have no problem with it. Studio Ghibli's movies I generally watch in both languages at one point or another, but it benefits from Disney actually getting "real" actors to do it. But when it's live action, I always watch it in it's native language.
#119RPG maniac87Posted 1/30/2013 1:04:12 PM
I prefer the Japanese voices but I'm not going to insult or think less of others for liking the English voices.
Crazy, huh?
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#120DragonSamuraiPosted 1/30/2013 1:54:45 PM
RPG maniac87 posted...
I prefer the Japanese voices but I'm not going to insult or think less of others for liking the English voices.
Crazy, huh?

Your sig says it all. They lack the mustache for full comprehension. That must be why these arguments keep happening and why no one ever learns from them. XD

Likely, RPG maniac, you have the mustache for it. This is why it's refreshing to see your posts here.
---
"You're turning into a real human being. You're beginning to confuse generosity with stupidity." Odd to Aelita (Code Lyoko)