If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#121steker16Posted 1/30/2013 2:03:07 PM
What if I'm Japanese?

then you should go back to china

wonder how many people will stop reading after that first part just have a **** fit instead of realizing its a joke
---
nomnomnom
#122katamoriPosted 1/30/2013 3:32:41 PM
jdissinger posted...
katamori posted...
I seriously got modded even though I did what the rules say to when posting a censored word.I always figured my first modded post would be for something I legitimately did wrong.Not to mention lol the post was less then 2 hours old and yet look at all the posts that slipped through the cracks in the past 5 days lol.

babbys first modded post

anyways i like the english dubs, especially drippys voice. and the bad guys. i don't understand japanese so i have no reason to watch with subs, i'd rather watch the animation then read literally everything (even though theres a lot of reading already when theres no voiceover)

Babby?Why because I got modded for doing nothing wrong?
---
PSN:helcalv
#123spraynardtatumPosted 1/30/2013 3:49:55 PM
Taichi556 posted...
Because the Japanese VAs also have appropriate accents, and the voice acting actually properly matches the lip movement so I don't feel like I am watching Godzilla?

I try to feel like I am watching Godzilla in everything I do.
---
Happy birthday Spray! I'm disappointed in you!
#124PrinceOfHotPosted 1/30/2013 3:51:06 PM
The English VO's are quite good. VO's in general with j-rpgs have been improving since they have started localizing in English in the UK, apparently their are far more better actors there!.
#125spnccarmanPosted 1/30/2013 4:00:08 PM
Muflaggin posted...
how can japanese fit the characters more when the game is set in america? some people, i swear.

Is it actually stated to take place in America? Don't recall that being said in game.

The Devs hav said it and it's pretty freaking obvious Olivers hometown is an idealized small town usa.
#126ManjiMidouPosted 1/30/2013 4:02:51 PM
English Esther sounds better than Japanese Esther
---
He is Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Sausages.
#127King of KillersPosted 1/30/2013 4:23:18 PM
ManjiMidou posted...

english esther is also called maru in japanese. the localization is catered towards the english va, so i'd rather just stick with the english cast to make the voices consistent with the written dialogue. the discrepancy in the voice and text would bother me too much.

honestly, the localization is great and the english voices fit. so i don't see a problem with it.
---
Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit
Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost
#128ManjiMidouPosted 1/30/2013 4:29:33 PM
King of Killers posted...
ManjiMidou posted...

english esther is also called maru in japanese. the localization is catered towards the english va, so i'd rather just stick with the english cast to make the voices consistent with the written dialogue. the discrepancy in the voice and text would bother me too much.

honestly, the localization is great and the english voices fit. so i don't see a problem with it.

Ha, so that's why Japanese Oliver kept saying maru when l switch to her all this time l thought he was saying meryl.

Japanese Meru VA sounds less feminine/girly than English Esther VA.
---
He is Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Sausages.
#129King of KillersPosted 1/30/2013 4:37:35 PM
ManjiMidou posted...
King of Killers posted...
ManjiMidou posted...

Ha, so that's why Japanese Oliver kept saying maru when l switch to her all this time l thought he was saying meryl.

Japanese Meru VA sounds less feminine/girly than English Esther VA.

lol, lots of things are different. the game has a lot of puns and as you can imagine, japanese puns don't translate very well into english :P Like King Tom (because he's a tomcat) is called Nyandal in the japanese one. Nyan being the japanese onomatopoeia for a cat's meow xD
---
Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit
Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost
#130OmegaDL50Posted 1/30/2013 6:34:17 PM(edited)
The problem with discerning bad quality voice work in a foreign language is most simply cannot tell the difference most of the time. After all It's it's difficult to grasp the quality in something you don't understand.

Unfortunately most dub haters fall into that pitfall scenario "If it sounds good, then it must be good" being ignorant if the person actually speaking is doing their lines properly or even doing an actual competent job for that matter, and the only true way to get heart of the matter is if you actually speak the language yourself and fluently understand it.

Some will use the excuse "VA in "insert language" has more emotion. I don't need to understand it to know it sounds better!" and this is a huge problem because emotion is only part of a message being conveyed, there is also context and connotation that needs to be understood, and is something emotion cannot convey.

Generally listening to something in your native speaking language or a language you actually understand perfectly is common place and thus sounds "boring" or "normal" because you hear this stuff every day and doesn't have that foreign or exotic appeal that simply isn't accustomed to day to day giving the impression that it's got some unique or cool quality to it.

To go so far to claim that all dubs are inferior compared to non-dubs without intrinsic knowledge of the actual language spoken is taking it a bit far. Oh well. I guess that is how it is.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.