If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#131ArsenicSteelPosted 1/30/2013 6:39:15 PM(edited)
cgwhite85 posted...
choobiator posted...
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
Except you can judge a performance without being fluent....

Can you? Can you judge whether an actor is using the appropriate intonation with the appropriate timing? Seems like it would be difficult unless you were a native speaker.

No you can't. Learning a second language makes this abundantly clear. As you pass beyond simple conversational levels and begin to be able to read/write and speak fluently, you start to understand how much and the way in which tone, inflection, intonation, etc change meanings and affect performances.

Its also very difficult to begin to think in additional languages. People often, especially at lower competencies with a language, tend to hear the words and then translate them to their first language rather than just knowing what is meant. This additional filter makes picking up on nuance even more challenging.

So to answer your question. It is very hard to judge without lots of practice, but enough practice will give you the knowledge necessary. To anyone who is truly interested in japanese voice actors performances or cinema, the ideal course of action would be years of study and practice.

Emotions, emoting, and to an extent intonation are not language specific. Those are entirely about being human. So long as you are human and actually listening any person can come close to what emotion is being acted regardless of the language the actor is speaking. How well that actor emotes falls to that actor's skill.

Perhaps you mean pronunciation? Sure you would need to know the words being pronounced in order to know if they are being pronounced wrong but that doesn't require fluency either.

P.S.
Wasn't the dub produced in the UK? If so can people stop calling it an American dub.

---
A heretic among heretics.
#132MuflagginPosted 1/30/2013 11:11:22 PM
Muflaggin posted...
how can japanese fit the characters more when the game is set in america? some people, i swear.

Is it actually stated to take place in America? Don't recall that being said in game.

Yes, in the NA version of the game the city is called Motorsville; as in "The Motor City" Detroit. And in the Jpn version of the game the city is called Hotroit; as in a warm version of Detroit...it's in the back of the prima guide where the developers (a room full of Japanese men) said that Olivers home was an idealized Detroit (i.e. America).

And to the person that said Drippy's American VA sucked, that's probably because he didn't have an American VA. The dub work was done by the Brits....all the American accents you hear aren't native accents. Which leads me to believe that Drippy's Welsh is authentic Welsh.

I actually have to give the VA for Oliver some credit, they hired an actual kid who probably hasn't perfected his fake American accent yet instead of hiring a woman to do the voice of a little boy. Sure he wasn't great, but to me it adds a certain level of authenticity.

Okay so it's not actually Detroit then. Gotcha. Thanks for proving me right.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#133-BrokenSpiral-Posted 1/30/2013 11:21:20 PM
Japanese voice acting is littered with overacting and character archetypes that are all voiced the same no matter who's doing it.
#134SpoonSportsPosted 1/31/2013 1:23:48 AM
I was thinking about this at work. Was wondering if players played the game on English or Japanese dubbed.

Currently I am playing it with the Japanese voices. Doesn't matter which one I choose since I understand both.
---
Calvin and Hobbes - Greatest comic I ever read!
JRSC 1988 Honda CRX ZC Tuned & Built by: HybridWerks
#135NemhyPosted 2/3/2013 9:23:06 AM
Inconsistencies with voice work and subtitles REALLY bother me. Pretty much every name except Oliver was changed. I would lose my mind hahahaha
#136ArsenicSteelPosted 2/3/2013 10:05:22 AM(edited)
-BrokenSpiral- posted...
Japanese voice acting is littered with overacting and character archetypes that are all voiced the same no matter who's doing it.

And what nation's acting is not littered with those same things? Rowan Atkinson has been playing Mr.Bean in every movie he has been in, speaking or not. Dwayne Johnson, Seth Rogen/Macfarlane, Bruce Willis, Christopher Walken, and the like are all actors that have been playing to their strengths be it overacting or archetypes for years.

It's absolutely silly to criticize Japanese actors for doing stuff that's present in the entertainment media of every country around. Plus I can name a bunch of English voice actors that get typecast and ham up their performances but I won't pretend that it means there's no good performers or performances.

---
A heretic among heretics.
#137xdividebyzeroxPosted 2/3/2013 10:03:26 AM
The only JP VA's that I think sounds better than their English counterparts are the ones for Pea and Marcassin.
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#138DDR MidianPosted 2/3/2013 10:04:58 AM(edited)
Esther's voice acting is terrible, but I feel like people over in the US accept anything with a British accent as a good performance. Same deal with the Harry Potter kids.
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX
#139ZEOPOWER6Posted 2/3/2013 11:10:31 AM(edited)
DDR Midian posted...
Esther's voice acting is terrible, but I feel like people over in the US accept anything with a British accent as a good performance. Same deal with the Harry Potter kids.

Pretty true, but I think Esther's slightly better than Oliver. His delivery especially at the end of lines is a bit... uh... weird. Emphasis on odd syllables, maybe?

xdividebyzerox posted...
The only JP VA's that I think sounds better than their English counterparts are the ones for Pea and Marcassin.

Eh, really? D: Maybe it's just a cultural thing, lol.
#140xdividebyzeroxPosted 2/3/2013 11:21:48 AM
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
xdividebyzerox posted...

Eh, really? D: Maybe it's just a cultural thing, lol.

Not that they are bad (even though Marcassin's sounded really flat in some areas, especially his battle quotes.). I just preferred the Japanese ones over the English ones.

Overall, the dub is still amazing.
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch