If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#141ZEOPOWER6Posted 2/3/2013 10:24:00 AM
xdividebyzerox posted...
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
xdividebyzerox posted...
The only JP VA's that I think sounds better than their English counterparts are the ones for Pea and Marcassin.

Eh, really? D: Maybe it's just a cultural thing, lol.

Not that they are bad (even though Marcassin's sounded really flat in some areas, especially his battle quotes.). I just preferred the Japanese ones over the English ones.

Overall, the dub is still amazing.

Oh, I meant that for the Japanese voices for everyone else, lol. Oliver's battle quotes in English are a bit grating imo :(
#142xdividebyzeroxPosted 2/3/2013 10:52:42 AM(edited)
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
xdividebyzerox posted...
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
xdividebyzerox posted...
The only JP VA's that I think sounds better than their English counterparts are the ones for Pea and Marcassin.

Eh, really? D: Maybe it's just a cultural thing, lol.

Not that they are bad (even though Marcassin's sounded really flat in some areas, especially his battle quotes.). I just preferred the Japanese ones over the English ones.

Overall, the dub is still amazing.

Oh, I meant that for the Japanese voices for everyone else, lol. Oliver's battle quotes in English are a bit grating imo :(

The problem I have with Marcassin is that he sounds obnoxious as hell in battle. I'd take Pea, Horace, Phillip, Myrtle, Kublai, anyone else as party members over him anyday. Just get him out of my party. >_>
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#143KiviarPosted 2/3/2013 11:10:10 AM
Well here is the opinion of someone who is fluent in Japanese.

Japanese characters, culture, and mannerisms just don't translate well in to English. Trying to directly portray these characters in English (and other languages) is nearly impossible, so they are modified, shimmed, and adjusted to work. There is also the problem of Japanese comedy which is largely based on wordplay and thus next to impossible to translate. The same goes with regional accents.

So in the end you aren't actually getting the same experience as was intended by the writers and directors. This isn't because of sloth, or malice, but simply reality that most of their market are probably not that educated in another culture.

So think of it this way. If you were in Japan and watched Lord of the Rings in the theater. Do you think that the Japanese actor they hired to dub Frodo would do as good a job portraying the character's thoughts and emotions as Elijah Wood? Of course not! But a Japanese person who was sitting next to you who does not speak a word of English probably thinks its fantastic.

As for this game, the dub is 'okay' there is nothing spectacularly wrong about it like most dubs of studio Ghibli's works. The only truly aggravating thing about it is that the subtitles are for the English version, and therefore are rife with name and line changes. This leaves the viewer who is somewhat educated in Japanese to scratch their head and wonder as to why Phil is being called Mark.

The truly humerous thing is that this discussion is not unique to the west, You could wait for the next big western game to come out in Japan and this exact debate will be happening there over English vs Japanese actors.
#144SludgyPosted 2/3/2013 11:19:13 AM
DragonSamurai posted...
I'm the type of person who enjoys both Japanese and English. Heck, there are some anime out there that are really good in both languages, believe it or not. Some people have a hard time deciding which to listen to for some series because both are that good.

This is pretty much how I feel. Both voice options are good for this game and even for alot of games or anime or what have you. Im just gonna end up playing it twice all the way through each time on a different language. People need to chill and stop getting so salty because someone else doesnt like what they like.
#145JirynPosted 2/3/2013 11:21:25 AM
darkgara posted...
The english VA adds so much personality to the characters. I can't imagine playing without drippy speaking welsh, or Oliver opining "Jeepers" all the time. I mean Shadar and the white witch are worth playing in english dub alone.

I find it funny someone claimed the English VAs ruin the game (@Gamer's review)
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#146castrejon04Posted 2/3/2013 4:12:25 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
darkgara posted...
The english VA adds so much personality to the characters. I can't imagine playing without drippy speaking welsh, or Oliver opining "Jeepers" all the time. I mean Shadar and the white witch are worth playing in english dub alone.

I find it funny someone claimed the English VAs ruin the game (@Gamer's review)

What review is that?
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa