If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#31Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 1:09:56 AM
Muflaggin posted...
For the person that asked yes Subs over Dubs. Not sure why I would want to subject myself to inferior voices and acting, but hey if that's your thing go for it. ^_^

Inferior voice acting?
Can you even tell what good voice acting is?

Have you heard the Japanese dub of Gatchaman? It's atrocious, the English version is leaps and bounds superior. As is Dragon Ball Z.

Mind you, I actually do prefer some Japanese dubs of Western animation, and found the Japanese dub of the 2003 TMNT series to be really good.

You seem like a typical, run-of-the-mill weaboo.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#32TheCyborgNinjaPosted 1/30/2013 1:12:11 AM
I always prefer the most appropriate voice option. If the people are American, I want them speaking English. If they're Japanese, I want them speaking Japanese.

I hate it, especially in movies, when it has people in Shanghai, or Berlin, etc, all speaking English 24/7
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#33King of KillersPosted 1/30/2013 1:12:49 AM
Muflaggin posted...
Muflaggin posted...
I thought the Japanese voices were fine as usual. Drippy's American VA was downright awful. Then again Drippy himself was too.

Uh huh, then why don't you go learn japanese and play it entirely in japanese if you love the japanese language so much? Or you're too lazy to get your weaboo ass to a beginner japanese class?

People like you give bad name to anime fans. I love anime too but I'm not too blinded by fanboyism to be unable to appreciate what another culture has to offer.

It's a JAPANESE RPG. I play it as it was intended to be heard. I don't watch American shows in Japanese or anything weird like that. For example if I'm watching a French film I'll watch it in French. Simple as that. I'm sorry your feeble mind can't grasp a simple concept like that.

while i usually agree with this logic, i actually love the english audio for this game. one of the few exceptions. if this was a movie/animation, i'd agree right there with you. as it is, it's a game, and it's localized exceptionally well. so yes, for me, this game's english audio > japanese audio.
---
Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit
Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost
#34Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 1:16:57 AM(edited)
Solar1214 posted...
Lotta people hate Japan in this topic.

I'm gonna say something, and if you can't understand it, then you probably aren't the brightest person.
Ni no Kuni is Japanese made- The director chooses the voice cast to fit the characters he made- Dub doesn't use those voices- If you're using the dub you aren't playing as intended.

Then you have people saying "Play the Japanese version, weeaboo." My response is, I don't know Japanese well enough to understand it completely..

The dub is good and everything, I can understand people liking it more but all of this ridiculous flaming of the Sub it out of control.

Except that the director usually does have a hand in who voices in the English version.
Or did you not know that?

I wonder how many people would be crushed if they knew that bad 4Kids dubs were also partly the fault of the Japanese studio that has to okay every bit of censorship or name change.

Who said they hated Japan?
Only their cartoons are bad. I like their prons, movies, and games.
Heck, I even listen to quite a bit of Japanese music. I don't entirely hate their comics, and their government doesn't entirely have it's head up it's proverbial ass.

I am also quite fond of okonomiyaki. Without the pig belly, mind you. Special reasons.
---
#35badboyPosted 1/30/2013 1:17:44 AM
Drippy has amazing voice acting and script.
#36King of KillersPosted 1/30/2013 1:20:37 AM(edited)
oh, and btw, if this game was based in a JAPANESE SETTING i would most likely have listened to the japanese audio over the english one. but what we have is a BLATANTLY AMERICAN PROTAGONIST in a culturally diverse fairy tale world. that and the voice acting is great in english. shadar and drippy <3
---
Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit
Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost
#37Gamegeek123Posted 1/30/2013 1:21:01 AM
I'm sorry, as Native Japanese who is still improving English as second language, I am extremely offended by the "weeabo" insults. So anyone who prefers the original Japanese voices (which IMO fit the characters more than the English) to the Japanese-made RPG is immediately regarded as a "weeabo?"

That makes NO sense whatsoever. I totally understand those who prefer English because they do not comprehend the Japanese accents and puns like Shizuku's Osaka voice, but why would we be called weeabo for using the original voice cast?

The "Miss Leila" lady has a texan accent, which disgusted me. Jabou also had a terrible voice, and I personally loathe the accent English localization thrusted into poor "Drippy's" throat.

Overall, I prefer the original Japanese voices, but I do not immediately denounce those who prefer English dub as something equal to "weeabo."

I just find it childish and immature of these posters, and I'm only 17 trying to improve my English.
---
Shogunate
#38Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 1:22:52 AM
King of Killers posted...
oh, and btw, if this game was based in a JAPANESE SETTING i would most likely have listened to the japanese audio. but as such, it seems to be a culturally diverse world with a BLATANTLY AMERICAN PROTAGONIST.

See, it's culturally diverse.

Means we can have English dialect in it, see weaboos. You get your bland animu visuals (not this game, I mean animu in general. I freaking love Studio Ghibli's art), and we baka gaijin get to understand the dialogue (well, personally, I can understand a fair amount of spoken Japanese, it's the reading and writing of it that's hard).
---
#39Gamegeek123Posted 1/30/2013 1:29:40 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
King of Killers posted...
oh, and btw, if this game was based in a JAPANESE SETTING i would most likely have listened to the japanese audio. but as such, it seems to be a culturally diverse world with a BLATANTLY AMERICAN PROTAGONIST.

See, it's culturally diverse.

Means we can have English dialect in it, see weaboos. You get your bland animu visuals (not this game, I mean animu in general. I freaking love Studio Ghibli's art), and we baka gaijin get to understand the dialogue (well, personally, I can understand a fair amount of spoken Japanese, it's the reading and writing of it that's hard).

Don't understand why people still associate "weeaboo" with whoever prefers to listen to the Japanese version.

I respect those who prefer dub, and I respect those who rather listen to authentic Japanese voices that match the characters more, but the "weeabo" denouncing is pathetic especially coming from older gamers.
---
Shogunate
#40Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 1:33:25 AM
Gamegeek123 posted...
I'm sorry, as Native Japanese who is still improving English as second language, I am extremely offended by the "weeabo" insults. So anyone who prefers the original Japanese voices (which IMO fit the characters more than the English) to the Japanese-made RPG is immediately regarded as a "weeabo?"

That makes NO sense whatsoever. I totally understand those who prefer English because they do not comprehend the Japanese accents and puns like Shizuku's Osaka voice, but why would we be called weeabo for using the original voice cast?

The "Miss Leila" lady has a texan accent, which disgusted me. Jabou also had a terrible voice, and I personally loathe the accent English localization thrusted into poor "Drippy's" throat.

Overall, I prefer the original Japanese voices, but I do not immediately denounce those who prefer English dub as something equal to "weeabo."

I just find it childish and immature of these posters, and I'm only 17 trying to improve my English.

You see, that's fine.
If Japanese was my native tongue, I'd be listening to it too.

But for an English speaker to up and say, "Japanese is better, because English VAs pronounce words wrong", or "It's how the creator intended", is silly. The creator also intended us to listen to the English VA, otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered dubbing it, and it would have gotten a digital release.

Actually. Listening to the English dub might be better for you, so you can learn to recognize various English dialects.

Sumimasen.

I'd type that in Hiragana/Kanji, but romaji is the best I can do.
---