If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#41katamoriPosted 1/30/2013 1:35:42 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
katamori posted...
Depends but a lot of the times yes.A lot of animes have bad VA casts for the English.The reverse is true for some as well though lol like dragonball Z Japanese goku gives me the creeps.He's really high pitched lol.

Usually English dubs are superior to the Japanese versions.
As someone who cannot personally stand anime, and was forced to study it, I English dubs nowadays tend to be of a much higher quality than they used to be.
Especially when you have the supposedly mega talented Vic MiDerpaderp, Travis Willingderp, or Scott McDerp.

I'll gladly point to Cowboy Bebop, Witchblade, Dragon Ball Z, Trigun, X-Men (the animu, but I'm sure most of the voice actors in that were probably voicing all those characters before, anyways), Black Lagoon, Guyver, Rurouni Kenshin, Panty and Stalking, and a few others, whenever someone feels inclined to say, "Lulz, dubz sux". If you're talking about 4Kids dubs, I'll meet you half way. I thought their dub of Shaman King wasn't half bad, but they need to be less anal on the whole censorship thing.

And Sean Schemmel (did I even spell that right?) is awesome as Goku. DBZ is probably one of the only good things I had to watch during high school.

I said that english DBZ was better btw if you got the impression I thought otherwise.As for Black lagoon I'm gonna have to be 50/50 on that some are better one way and some the other.Being that I tend to watch both dubbed and subbed for each where I can get them both it's really hit and miss for both.That being said I have watched waaay too many anime series to remember which fell on what side of the fence lol.
---
PSN:helcalv
#42Undead_YakuzaPosted 1/30/2013 1:41:51 AM
I prefer the Japanese voice track, as I prefer Oliver's Japanese voice actor to his english counterpart. Taste is subjective, thus no one is in the wrong for preferring either the Japanese or the English VA.
Oh, and to the people who throwing out the weeaboo insults like there is no tomorrow, you come across as pretty pathetic, which kinda ruins your credibility on the board.
#43Gamegeek123Posted 1/30/2013 1:45:58 AM
Undead_Yakuza posted...
I prefer the Japanese voice track, as I prefer Oliver's Japanese voice actor to his english counterpart. Taste is subjective, thus no one is in the wrong for preferring either the Japanese or the English VA.
Oh, and to the people who throwing out the weeaboo insults like there is no tomorrow, you come across as pretty pathetic, which kinda ruins your credibility on the board.

I agree with the weeaboo thing, that really needs to stop. It is so childish and offensive to native Japanese speakers!

I tried listening to the English voices but the "Jeepers Creepers" and "Neato" threw me off. Could someone explain the appeal to these two phrases to me please? I thought they sounded weird in English.
---
Shogunate
#44Undead_YakuzaPosted 1/30/2013 1:47:52 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
katamori posted...
Depends but a lot of the times yes.A lot of animes have bad VA casts for the English.The reverse is true for some as well though lol like dragonball Z Japanese goku gives me the creeps.He's really high pitched lol.

As someone who cannot personally stand anime, and was forced to study it, I English dubs nowadays tend to be of a much higher quality than they used to be.
Especially when you have the supposedly mega talented Vic MiDerpaderp, Travis Willingderp, or Scott McDerp.

I'll gladly point to Cowboy Bebop, Witchblade, Dragon Ball Z, Trigun, X-Men (the animu, but I'm sure most of the voice actors in that were probably voicing all those characters before, anyways), Black Lagoon, Guyver, Rurouni Kenshin, Panty and Stalking, and a few others, whenever someone feels inclined to say, "Lulz, dubz sux". If you're talking about 4Kids dubs, I'll meet you half way. I thought their dub of Shaman King wasn't half bad, but they need to be less anal on the whole censorship thing.

And Sean Schemmel (did I even spell that right?) is awesome as Goku. DBZ is probably one of the only good things I had to watch during high school.

It's a personal preference thing. I prefer my anime in Japanese, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

And if we are talking dubbing in games, let's take a look a recently released RPG; Tales of Graces F. Now, I love Pascal's english VA, but seriously, TRY to defend Asbel's english voice, as it is nothing short of painfully grating.
#45Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 1:49:26 AM
katamori posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
katamori posted...

I said that english DBZ was better btw if you got the impression I thought otherwise.As for Black lagoon I'm gonna have to be 50/50 on that some are better one way and some the other.Being that I tend to watch both dubbed and subbed for each where I can get them both it's really hit and miss for both.That being said I have watched waaay too many anime series to remember which fell on what side of the fence lol.

No, I didn't get the impression, I had to list it, as it's a prime example of an amazing dub.
When I cared about anime (back in early highschool), I would only watch dubs. After a while, I learned to hate it. While studying world cinema in highschool, no one else wanted to touch Japanese animation and film, and I got left with it. The definition of irony.

I find Japanese voices tend to go one of two ways ways you get the awesome voices like Akira Kamiya, Ryo Horikawa, and the late Daisuke Gori (may he rest in peace. He is the true world champion) or you get the squealing annoyance that is Masako Nozawa.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#46Golem345Posted 1/30/2013 1:51:28 AM
I'm probably gonna play once through the game with each of the voice options, just cause I like both. I love Drippy's accent though, but I love the super deep voices some of the Japanese VA can seem to get lol. Princess Mononoke comes to mind, one of the wolves had a crazy awesome voice.
---
"Heavy hate will feed it, sharp sized razor bleed it, it cuts you up"
XBoxLive Tag: Steampunk Ruin
#47Tone_IkasuPosted 1/30/2013 2:22:39 AM
Now the weeaboo bashing is kind of out of control but both sides have good points. People have different tastes so you should listen to the one that best suits you. Why is is bad that some people like Japanese VA over English and vice versa? It's just an opinion which in most cases can't be wrong. It's just that persons preference

now for those who argue that since its a jrpg it was meant to be played with Japanese VA's that's pretty short sighted. For Japanese people that is the way it's intended because that is the best way for most to understand it since probably most don't know English as well as Japanese if at all. Things get dubbed so the game can be appreciated by other countries with different languages. The dubbed versions is pretty much how it's meant to be listened to in that respective country. Half the jokes and words in the original Japanese scripts don't translate we'll or may not even mean anything to English speakers so why leave them in. That just further alienates the consumer.

I am sure the producers and directors for this game made it so that whether you speak either language you will get the version you can most closely relate too and even for those who,like to listen the other way around they give you that option as well. If the game was not supposed to be Voice acted in English then it wouldn't have happened. There are plenty games out there with just subs and no dubs.

It was brought up earlier but to reiterate this game is set in a fictional American town with an American protagonist so having Japanese come out of his mouth is a little weird at the end of the day.

Side note the jeepers and the neato words were probably popular back then with America's youth so that is probably why they went with that.
#48COX-blockerPosted 1/30/2013 2:23:25 AM
Undead_Yakuza posted...

How is it pathetic to describe accurately what they are? So when you see a chair, you cannot describe it as a chair because you're afraid that you'll come off as being pathetic?

FYI, an anime fan = someone who simply enjoys anime and possibly things related to anime such as games. A weaboo = a non-japanese person who acts like he's effing japanese and think that anything japanese-related is DA BEST EVER without any rational basis.

The Muflaggin dude fits the bill so there's nothing wrong in calling him a weaboo, is there? Or what, he's gonna claim he's japanese next?
---
3ds FC: 3797-5783-3905
#49LeonidVasPosted 1/30/2013 2:32:22 AM
Clutch_Klutz posted...
What if I'm Japanese?

If you are Japanese, you could have played this game to the death quite a long time ago, why would you jump on it now with all the Western people?
#50katamoriPosted 1/30/2013 2:36:14 AM(edited)
I seriously got modded even though I did what the rules say to when posting a censored word.I always figured my first modded post would be for something I legitimately did wrong.Not to mention lol the post was less then 2 hours old and yet look at all the posts that slipped through the cracks in the past 5 days lol.
---
PSN:helcalv