If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#61MuflagginPosted 1/30/2013 3:50:34 AM
Undead_Yakuza posted...

Oh, and to the people who throwing out the weeaboo insults like there is no tomorrow, you come across as pretty pathetic, which kinda ruins your credibility on the board.

How is it pathetic to describe accurately what they are? So when you see a chair, you cannot describe it as a chair because you're afraid that you'll come off as being pathetic?

FYI, an anime fan = someone who simply enjoys anime and possibly things related to anime such as games. A weaboo = a non-japanese person who acts like he's effing japanese and think that anything japanese-related is DA BEST EVER without any rational basis.

The Muflaggin dude fits the bill so there's nothing wrong in calling him a weaboo, is there? Or what, he's gonna claim he's japanese next?

I prefer good voice acting so I'm trying to be Japanese? Huh? Then again what kind of logic was I expecting from a nine year old.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#62CBratePosted 1/30/2013 3:50:34 AM
Isn't that kinda the point of options?
You can pick one or the other.

And the trend in voice acting in western markets is to pick people who can act rather than those with a good voice. Reason being they want someone who can create a character. And all the Nolan Norths, John Dimaggios and Tara Strongs are usually busy with more permanent gigs.
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 179 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: stupid_newbie
#63ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 6:30:43 AM(edited)
Ugh, it's things like this that cause us to not get dual audio all that often. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. :/

The dub is fine but there's no need to slam the Japanese track.

And IMO, they're pretty much equal. People who are 'fluent in Japanese' and have heard from Japanese players that the voices 'sucked' are kind of moot since just as many people liked the game quite a bit in Japan and were fine with the voices. I absolutely hate how all anyone really gleaned from the Japanese reviews were the negative and NONE of the positive. Sickening.

This shows how people are ignorant, since really, most of the cast is disney character, which original voice acting is done in english.

You're even more ignorant since there are 'original' voices for those Disney characters as well in Japanese. Disney is big all over the world! And in the case of the Square characters that originated in Japan, why aren't they in Japanese since their original voices were Japanese in Japan?

God, people need to be more accepting of both Japanese and English and not be blind to one or the other. Sure, dubs tend to suck when they do Japanese -> English, but the dubs from English -> Japanese also tend to be pretty hilarious. It's all down to your preferences really... though I personally think I prefer this game in Japanese even though I understand the English track just fine. It just seems like the Japanese track was better overall (especially in the case of the main character, Oliver).
#64mcsmellingtonPosted 1/30/2013 6:33:32 AM
I don't normally bother with foreign VA, I prefer listening to it in English. That said, if it's a game where I'm finding the dialogue quite hard to follow, then I'll stick subtitles on anyway, in which case I might switch back to the original language just out of curiosity.

I wouldn't play Ni No Kuni with Japanese VA though. You very rarely hear a Welsh accent in video games, so it's quite refreshing to hear it used for a main character.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#65artemis21Posted 1/30/2013 6:34:22 AM
Muflaggin posted...
I play it as it was intended to be heard.
#66Bigj089Posted 1/30/2013 6:37:43 AM
Gamegeek123 posted...
Undead_Yakuza posted...
I prefer the Japanese voice track, as I prefer Oliver's Japanese voice actor to his english counterpart. Taste is subjective, thus no one is in the wrong for preferring either the Japanese or the English VA.
Oh, and to the people who throwing out the weeaboo insults like there is no tomorrow, you come across as pretty pathetic, which kinda ruins your credibility on the board.

I agree with the weeaboo thing, that really needs to stop. It is so childish and offensive to native Japanese speakers!

I tried listening to the English voices but the "Jeepers Creepers" and "Neato" threw me off. Could someone explain the appeal to these two phrases to me please? I thought they sounded weird in English.

I havnt played the game yet but from what Ive read the time period the game takes place in and with the translation to English, those words were more common back then
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#67KOFXIIIPosted 1/30/2013 6:38:09 AM
Thanks for telling people how they should play their own game. We'd be clueless without you.
#68Virtue777Posted 1/30/2013 6:42:11 AM
Japanese VA tends to be bad, but weeaboos usually don't notice or care because they don't know any Japanese other than "KAWAII DESU!!!" I studied Japanese for 3 years, once you actually have some grasp on the language you begin to realize just how horrendous and cheap most Japanese VA is.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#69ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 6:46:14 AM(edited)
Bigj089 posted...
I havnt played the game yet but from what Ive read the time period the game takes place in and with the translation to English, those words were more common back then

That's pretty much why there's so much neato and jeepers.

And for the record, MORE people on GameFAQs would want to play with the dub and the dub only because "Japanese is for weebs". Sad, really.

Seriously, is it so much to ask for people to be respectful of other languages/cultures? They give you an option so it's not like you need to play with the Japanese track. In fact, I'm guessing this is why a lot of Japanese games that come over here need to get dubs because they're REQUIRED to in order to even get shelf space in a store so sometimes they're absolutely terrible because some people cannot even remotely imagine playing a game where the voices are not in English. :(

like dragonball Z Japanese goku gives me the creeps.He's really high pitched lol.

Yeah, that's partly because Goku/Gohan/Goten were voiced and currently are voiced by an almost 80 year old woman. It's a very unique voice, lol, but that is Goku to Japan.
#70Bane766Posted 1/30/2013 6:45:54 AM
One of the reasons this game appealed to me in the first place was the excellent English VA, from the Video Review I saw. And it seems like it takes place in an earlier time period-say the 50's or so?, as someone else mentioned, which is why they would use those words.
---
Douleur Peur Mort