If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#71KOFXIIIPosted 1/30/2013 5:50:37 AM
Virtue777 posted...
Japanese VA tends to be bad, but weeaboos usually don't notice or care because they don't know any Japanese other than "KAWAII DESU!!!" I studied Japanese for 3 years, once you actually have some grasp on the language you begin to realize just how horrendous and cheap most Japanese VA is.

The same can be said about American VAs or VAs from any country.

Most are bad/ not memorable, with the awesome ones getting fanbases/getting good roles.

I know you're talking about blind fans that think everything Japanese is good, but this whole thing of "English for normal people - Japanese for mentally challenged" can be just as bad.
#72katamoriPosted 1/30/2013 5:56:32 AM(edited)
Virtue777 posted...
Japanese VA tends to be bad, but weeaboos usually don't notice or care because they don't know any Japanese other than "KAWAII DESU!!!" I studied Japanese for 3 years, once you actually have some grasp on the language you begin to realize just how horrendous and cheap most Japanese VA is.

Way to stereotype.Badly at that.
EDIT:I don't think I've ever seen the word weeboo tossed around so loosely so often in a single thread/topic before.Seriously guys cut it out not that anyone on the internet cares whether or not they are offensive to people.
---
PSN:helcalv
#73Virtue777Posted 1/30/2013 5:54:31 AM
katamori posted...
Virtue777 posted...

Aww, did I hit the nail on the head with you? Lol.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#74ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 5:58:54 AM(edited)
KOFXIII posted...
The same can be said about American VAs or VAs from any country.

Most are bad/ not memorable, with the awesome ones getting fanbases/getting good roles.

I know you're talking about blind fans that think everything Japanese is good, but this whole thing of "English for normal people - Japanese for mentally challenged" can be just as bad.

IMO, there are a lot more extremely good Japanese seiyuu out there than English VAs. I mean, there are some AMAZING English dub actors out there who do their jobs VERY well (The Lex Langs and such) but I feel like it's only about a dozen or so people that have that incredible amount of talent as opposed to the dozens upon dozens of stars in Japan (who may or may not get typecast into certain roles)... and the kicker is that in Japan, there is rising talent debuting every year! >_< I feel like the people who are 'good' in the West have basically stayed the same since the early 2000s with the exception of the Cristina Vees and Laura Bailey types.

Just because something is in Japanese doesn't automatically make it better, but usually high profile releases tend to get pretty awesome voice casts that do an extremely good job. I feel like most of the people who say "oh, if you actually understood it, you'd know that they're terrible!" don't even understand Japanese themselves. It's incredibly annoying to see people who shame Japanese voice tracks and they don't even give it a chance because 'oh it's terrible, I know because of my friend who is Japanese'.
#75katamoriPosted 1/30/2013 5:58:39 AM
Virtue777 posted...
katamori posted...
Virtue777 posted...

Actually far from it.For one I know not everything japanese is great.2 I know more then 2 words of japanese thanks I studied it in high school.3 most anime fans notice when VAs are bad.If you bothered to read a bit you would see I've already stated multiple times how I find it's a mixed result with sub/dub.
---
#76Haru_HaruhiPosted 1/30/2013 6:00:35 AM
The script's so heavily localized that it just doesn't seem worth it to play it in Japanese. With character names being changed and very specific dialects being used, it would just be bothersome when you get to the unvoiced portions of the game, especially if you actually understand Japanese. I'll probably try to find a good jikkyou play after I finish the English version, since iirc the Japanese script uses furigana
---
Brigade
If you are not with us, you are either an enemy or a client!
#77Synthetic_CKPosted 1/30/2013 6:01:03 AM
Oh noes people and opinions everywhere! Get inside quick before they change your way of living!
---
LOL@console fanboys. Just because it's the only console YOU own doesn't mean the others suck. Great games on all systems. Get over yourself, shut up and play.
#78Virtue777Posted 1/30/2013 6:01:16 AM
katamori posted...
Virtue777 posted...
katamori posted...
Virtue777 posted...

Actually far from it.For one I know not everything japanese is great.2 I know more then 2 words of japanese thanks I studied it in high school.3 most anime fans notice when VAs are bad.If you bothered to read a bit you would see I've already stated multiple times how I find it's a mixed result with sub/dub.

Oh boy, you have high school Japanese under your belt! Man, I'm sure you learned a lot, lmao.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#79katamoriPosted 1/30/2013 6:01:48 AM
Synthetic_CK posted...
Oh noes people and opinions everywhere! Get inside quick before they change your way of living!

Couldn't agree with your sig more if I tried lol.
---
#80ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 6:02:43 AM
Haru_Haruhi posted...
The script's so heavily localized that it just doesn't seem worth it to play it in Japanese. With character names being changed and very specific dialects being used, it would just be bothersome when you get to the unvoiced portions of the game, especially if you actually understand Japanese. I'll probably try to find a good jikkyou play after I finish the English version, since iirc the Japanese script uses furigana

That's true :/

Though I guess it's kind of roughly similar from what I played in Japanese but obviously not 100%. I almost wish they had alternate subs that were only SLIGHTLY localized... :( But oh well.

The comedy section is going to be hell on my Japanese playthrough.