If you're playing this in Japanese VA, you're doing it wrong.

#91SlaynPosted 1/30/2013 7:49:13 AM(edited)
No Steve Blume, Jennifer Hale, or Crispin Freeman?

Why would I want to listen to this in English, the far inferior language?
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#92LeanaunfurledPosted 1/30/2013 7:53:07 AM
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Notice he has no idea concerning the quality of the performance the japanese va's give as he does not comment on their competency or list examples of which actors perform well and how, likely because he does not speak japanese. To him it just "sounds so much cooler".

Or..the actual voices sound and suit the characters better. You don't need to know Japanese to hold that opinion. Naruto is a very good example, seeing as the Japanese voices are well done and most of the English ones make me want to jump off a sky scraper. Opposite for Fullmetal Alchemist, except not as dramatic, I just prefer Vic over Romi for Ed, though Romi did well in Rainbow. The few Miyazaki movies I've seen in both English and Japanese are both good, so doesn't matter much to me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/0k75L.gif
http://i.imgur.com/dPMIr.gif
#93BlazingGunnyPosted 1/30/2013 8:02:04 AM
This thread is full of flippin' buntings.
---
If there's a sound to play, that doesn't fit today, why not just play the b*stard anyway!
PSN: Gunblade-XP
#94cgwhite85Posted 1/30/2013 8:25:05 AM
Leanaunfurled posted...
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Notice he has no idea concerning the quality of the performance the japanese va's give as he does not comment on their competency or list examples of which actors perform well and how, likely because he does not speak japanese. To him it just "sounds so much cooler".

Or..the actual voices sound and suit the characters better. You don't need to know Japanese to hold that opinion. Naruto is a very good example, seeing as the Japanese voices are well done and most of the English ones make me want to jump off a sky scraper. Opposite for Fullmetal Alchemist, except not as dramatic, I just prefer Vic over Romi for Ed, though Romi did well in Rainbow. The few Miyazaki movies I've seen in both English and Japanese are both good, so doesn't matter much to me.

You didn't read my first post. You can hold any opinion you like, but some are better than others. You may like the japanese voice actors, but you lack the linguistic abilities to accurately critique the performance they give (unless you are fluent in japanese, in which case I apologize for implying you do not), you just think they sound cooler.

Holding these unsupported opinions is why people are getting the ridiculous insult "weaboo"tossed at them, not because japansese=weird and english=good. Notice no one calls Gamegeek123 a weaboo because he actually speaks both languages and can arrive at a somewhat informed opinion (not sure exactly how proficient his english is, but his posts indicate it is at a more than just passable level).
#95ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 8:25:53 AM
cgwhite85 posted...
I also understand I am about to be barraged with a cacophony of "its just an opinion lolz!", which is a cop-out. All opinions are not equal, some are better than others. Opinions that are supported by knowledge are better than those formed with a lack of knowledge. Not being able to speak japanese and then going on about how great the japanese va's are is the embodiment of an uninformed opinion.

Except you can judge a performance without being fluent.... I don't really understand why people think you need to understand the language completely to judge if something sounds fitting to you. I mean, in your opinion then, who is anyone to criticize or even like a foreign film if they aren't fluent in the language it is presented in?

I understand a lot of what is being said in Japanese tracks but I would never consider myself fluent. However, I feel that the delivery and expression from Japanese seiyuu tends to almost always trump the English dubs... Just listen to Oliver in English and you will hear what I mean.
#96LeanaunfurledPosted 1/30/2013 8:34:11 AM(edited)
you just think they sound cooler.

Uh, no. You accuse me of not reading and then you prove that you don't read. It has nothing to do with zomgwapaneeseosocooolz language, it has to do with a voice fitting a character. Plain and simple. Sometimes that's in English, sometimes in Japanese, sometimes both. And that whole 'my opinion is better than your opinion' shtick makes you sound like a tool, just letting you know.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LF2O7.gif
http://i.imgur.com/WoISA.gif
#97ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 8:32:54 AM(edited)
cgwhite85 posted...
You didn't read my first post. You can hold any opinion you like, but some are better than others. You may like the japanese voice actors, but you lack the linguistic abilities to accurately critique the performance they give (unless you are fluent in japanese, in which case I apologize for implying you do not), you just think they sound cooler.

Holding these unsupported opinions is why people are getting the ridiculous insult "weaboo"tossed at them, not because japansese=weird and english=good. Notice no one calls Gamegeek123 a weaboo because he actually speaks both languages and can arrive at a somewhat informed opinion (not sure exactly how proficient his english is, but his posts indicate it is at a more than just passable level).

You are really obsessed with this fluency argument. I don't even... Just... No.

And for the record, I agree. cgwhite is being a MAJOR know it all/snob atm.
#98choobiatorPosted 1/30/2013 8:38:04 AM
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
Except you can judge a performance without being fluent....

Can you? Can you judge whether an actor is using the appropriate intonation with the appropriate timing? Seems like it would be difficult unless you were a native speaker.
---
:)
#99cgwhite85Posted 1/30/2013 8:40:00 AM
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
cgwhite85 posted...
I also understand I am about to be barraged with a cacophony of "its just an opinion lolz!", which is a cop-out. All opinions are not equal, some are better than others. Opinions that are supported by knowledge are better than those formed with a lack of knowledge. Not being able to speak japanese and then going on about how great the japanese va's are is the embodiment of an uninformed opinion.

Except you can judge a performance without being fluent.... I don't really understand why people think you need to understand the language completely to judge if something sounds fitting to you. I mean, in your opinion then, who is anyone to criticize or even like a foreign film if they aren't fluent in the language it is presented in?

I understand a lot of what is being said in Japanese tracks but I would never consider myself fluent. However, I feel that the delivery and expression from Japanese seiyuu tends to almost always trump the English dubs... Just listen to Oliver in English and you will hear what I mean.

You are making an argument from ignorance now. You have now devolved into what just "feels right" without any understanding of the nuance of the performance you are trying to critique.

Yes, it is very hard to critique an actors verbal performance in a foreign film if you are not intimately familiar with the language, this is exacerbated even further for languages with so few similarities (japanese and english). For example I speak spanish and english fluently. So I am in a better position to evaluate the actors who deliver performances in those languages than people who don't speak them. Judging an italian performance may not be out of the question either, given the similarity between those spanish and italian.

A great example: I have a couple of good buddies who are chinese. They don't speak any spanish but think it sounds pleasant. As a result they think many, if not most, spanish performances are fine or better than the english dub regardless of how well the spanish actors are really doing. Likewise, I have watched some chinese movies with them where I thought the chinese actor was doing just fine, only to discover that the general consensus among chinese movie goers was quite the opposite (according to them at least).

The point is, you are making an uninformed opinion. You are then expecting people to respect it and that is unlikely to happen. So people start throwing around non-words like weaboo to display their displeasure.
#100ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/30/2013 8:45:02 AM
choobiator posted...
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
Except you can judge a performance without being fluent....

Can you? Can you judge whether an actor is using the appropriate intonation with the appropriate timing? Seems like it would be difficult unless you were a native speaker.

It's something you should be able to feel from a good performance vs. an absolute crap one. I'm pretty sure you don't have to be fluent in English to be able to tell when a performance is horrible, so I don't see why you think it has to be the case for other languages.