That's it. I'm done.

#71steker16Posted 1/30/2013 1:48:13 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#72Razz99Posted 1/30/2013 1:54:03 PM
The AI is terrible - absolutely terrible - and I completely agree. Still love the game, but they do some ridiculous things. All of the advice here about leveling up or buying new gear does not change the AI issue.

All that said, the game is not that hard..honestly if the AI was good then this game would be silly easy. We need to remember that the enemy AI is also stupid, and that one smart player on the field counters all of that stupidity quite well. Also, for all its flaws, the AI is good at keeping my dps healed while I do all of the work :)
#73westontickleePosted 1/30/2013 1:54:11 PM
steker16 posted...
I like how the solution for awful A.I. is to level more. If that's not a huge flaw I don't know what is.

this, there are so many weeaboos blinded by who was involved with the game unable to admit to themself there are some massive issues that make this game frustrating to anyone who is'nt ok with grinding for hours or doesnt have a hard on for studio ghibli/level 5.

fact is this is a good game with only a few negatives, BUT those few negative are huge issues that affect the entire game from start to finish. stop acting like its not a core problem with the game. when the best solution is to overlevel your character so you can brute force your way through the negatives that should raise a red flag right away

I wouldn't go all out to calling people weeaboos, but I agree with this.
---
I come from the future
Claire "Lightning" Farron's best friend, maried to Ayesha Altugle, ex lover of Milla Maxwell
#74SBabyPosted 1/30/2013 2:11:41 PM
Muflaggin posted...
Here's an idea:

Control Esther yourself.

Here's an idea. He shouldn't have to.

You should probably find those Toko things and grind a bit or hell just quit playing. You're not gonna miss out on much honestly.

I honestly never had that kind of problem, and I haven't seen any LPers have those problems. So I don't necessarily believe that it actually happens.
---
Show me an RPG without cliches and I'll show you an unproduced game.
#75shoe7essPosted 1/30/2013 2:12:08 PM
Phadin posted...
DeadS posted...
If they are attacking without familiar i see that happens when you dont choose a familiar with oliver.

To remedy:
Always throw out a familiar at the start, this causes them to also
They always throw out slot 1 first. Use familiars with high defense.

This will reduce your overall MP consumption by about 10 times.

I bet you just keep Drongo in slot one. All that thing does is spam heals.

Mostly this. Learn how the AI fights. I noticed this early on and quickly put a physical familiar (my Lemur) in the first slot of Esther shortly after I got her. I never had MP issues except towards the end of long boss battles. I usually make sure my lead off familiars are all physical ones with no attack abilities equiped. The Lemur I had sharpen and blunt on, for example. They rarely use them and will focus on attackign for the first 15-20 seconds of the battle. by the time they call their casters out, the fight is almost over.

Did the same thing, and kept Esther on "Don't Use Abilities" for trash/grinding and found this takes care of it pretty easily. I didn't even know the AI was so bad when I did it, I just saw her starter using his abilities in the first fight and was like "uh... nah uh" and put my monkey-cat in its place (Actually don't put Dro/Strongo in Esther's line-up unless it's a bounty/boss fight).
My first boss fight with her was a bit of a pain, she actually didn't use her familiar for like 3/4 of the fight, and had to use 2 Phoenix Feathers to get her back up, was about to lose to the Magma Boss after a long fight, meanwhile cursing Esther to my friend who was watching me play, and low and behold she gets a Gold Glim with her Drongo that I hadn't seen and wins the fight for me.

One gripe I have though is I shouldn't have to find a random encounter in order to change tactics before a fight, there's no excuse for not having an option to outside of battle.

tl:dr AI could use an improvement, and I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a patch fixing at least some of the issues with it, but it's certainly not game-breaking.
---
You might as well paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself Banana Man.
PSN/GT: shoe7ess
#76SBabyPosted 1/30/2013 2:13:57 PM(edited)
steker16 posted...
I like how the solution for awful A.I. is to level more. If that's not a huge flaw I don't know what is.

this, there are so many weeaboos blinded by who was involved with the game unable to admit to themself there are some massive issues that make this game frustrating to anyone who is'nt ok with grinding for hours or doesnt have a hard on for studio ghibli/level 5.

fact is this is a good game with only a few negatives, BUT those few negative are huge issues that affect the entire game from start to finish. stop acting like its not a core problem with the game. when the best solution is to overlevel your character so you can brute force your way through the negatives that should raise a red flag right away

It works both ways.

I can't act like it's a problem with the game, when I'm not having said problem and nobody that LPs the game seems to be having this kind of problem.
---
#77LoyalOathPosted 1/30/2013 2:16:07 PM
I don't see why everyone is having such a problem with the AI. At the start it is a little rough but as soon as you start to expand your familiar library it becomes really easy to have people not waste mana. Don't give them mana hungry moves unless you want them to use them. Give them things with good defense and decent attack and mana pretty much becomes a non issue. After getting Swaine I never had a major issue with the AI, just the occasional guy getting stuck en route to attack an enemy on another enemy but that doesn't really matter in the long run because most fights are just against trash.

I wasn't over leveled, and never had monsters running away before I left an area and the game was not that difficult. Just learn how to take advantage of the systems just like you would in any other game. I can assure you that at least 85% of the problems anyone has with the AI comes from them not equipping them properly for whatever they want them to do. It's hard for the AI to do what you want it to when you don't give it the tools you want it to use, or take away the ones you don't want it to use.
#78SBabyPosted 1/30/2013 2:20:44 PM(edited)
LoyalOath posted...
I don't see why everyone is having such a problem with the AI. At the start it is a little rough but as soon as you start to expand your familiar library it becomes really easy to have people not waste mana. Don't give them mana hungry moves unless you want them to use them. Give them things with good defense and decent attack and mana pretty much becomes a non issue. After getting Swaine I never had a major issue with the AI, just the occasional guy getting stuck en route to attack an enemy on another enemy but that doesn't really matter in the long run because most fights are just against trash.

I wasn't over leveled, and never had monsters running away before I left an area and the game was not that difficult. Just learn how to take advantage of the systems just like you would in any other game. I can assure you that at least 85% of the problems anyone has with the AI comes from them not equipping them properly for whatever they want them to do. It's hard for the AI to do what you want it to when you don't give it the tools you want it to use, or take away the ones you don't want it to use.

Exactly. Want Esther to stop using those mana-sucking moves? Unequip them from her familiar until you want them in a battle. There's a reason why the game lets you do this. It's like the Tales series. Just disable the moves you don't want her using.

Seriously, I'm not sure what you were expecting with the AI if you only give them moves that use alot of mana.
---
#79abnergoinbigPosted 1/30/2013 2:41:09 PM
My whole group has been doing really well after I gave them good familiars with moves that don't take up much MP and make sure one keeps us healthy, one provides back up and they attack the weakest enemy.
#80Unforgiven01Posted 1/30/2013 3:19:27 PM
I've had her die a few times, mainly when i first got her. But from my experience she's been really useful. I have her set to "keep me alive" and she usually starts out the battle with and physical attack familiar or her bird and does just that keeps me and herself alive.

Lol the only complaint i have with the game is that boss fights just kinda happen without warning. So i'm constantly saving when i can
---
Pokemon White 5372 4968 8037