Why is there a merit reward for 20% capture?

#11SkrallRampagerPosted 1/30/2013 11:02:38 AM
Lmao Math.....
#12dudeitscoolPosted 1/31/2013 6:16:34 AM
Hiroshida posted...
Chronux posted...

So a 1% catch would turn to 21%.. you sure that's not the case?

Try 1.2%.

I also thought that mp reduction cost for skills etc would be 25% or 50%, but no, a 45 mp spell will only 41mp to cast. Big whoop.

Yeah that made the angriest. Seeing the big hitters like Astra only reduce MP use by like 6 was a joke. Especially considering the tier and cost of the merit reward. For another 3 you can get Giant Killer which is far better and useful.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#13the5elementPosted 1/31/2013 6:19:03 AM
ya the mp reduction one is only 10%, why even bother....
---
I'll tell you what i do like: A killer, a dyed-in-the-wool killer, cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough - Zorg
#14Ultimate_BrolyPosted 1/31/2013 6:38:20 AM
Its not that TC's math was wrong, I'm pretty sure the guide doesn't even say it's the base %. Even I was mislead until I read it on the forums a few days ago, mind you I didn't have the license yet at the time so I couldn't have tested it on my own.
---
PSN: LastExile2
#15the_requiemPosted 1/31/2013 6:50:46 AM
Ultimate_Broly posted...
Its not that TC's math was wrong, I'm pretty sure the guide doesn't even say it's the base %. Even I was mislead until I read it on the forums a few days ago, mind you I didn't have the license yet at the time so I couldn't have tested it on my own.

Errmm.. nope, TC's math *was* wrong.

%ge increase in probabilities is never applied the way TC thought it would. If something has a 1% chance to occur then a 20% increase will be 20% of 1% resulting in 1.2% That is the way probabilities and %ge increases work. Guide would need to specifically mention if it increased 1% to 21% because that would be out of ordinary.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-25, Sal-50
#16DoomerangPosted 1/31/2013 7:46:01 AM
Yeah that made the angriest. Seeing the big hitters like Astra only reduce MP use by like 6 was a joke. Especially considering the tier and cost of the merit reward. For another 3 you can get Giant Killer which is far better and useful.

It may not seem like much, but that 10 percent adds up over time considerably especially with high-cost spells. I used to have the same opinion as you about what I saw as something insignificant, but that ten percent can be the difference between an extra casting of a spell before running out of mp, or the difference between having extra mp to heal yourself in a dire situation or not.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#17Mage_of_WindPosted 1/31/2013 7:55:08 AM
the_requiem posted...
Ultimate_Broly posted...

%ge increase in probabilities is never applied the way TC thought it would. If something has a 1% chance to occur then a 20% increase will be 20% of 1% resulting in 1.2% That is the way probabilities and %ge increases work. Guide would need to specifically mention if it increased 1% to 21% because that would be out of ordinary.

He only thought it was additive instead of multiplicative, so he's not exactly wrong math-wise, he's just wrong mechanic-wise.
---
This is the scene where you declare your undying hatred for me. -Seifer
If you persist, for great justice, I'll rearrange your face again! -Nisa
#18LeanaunfurledPosted 1/31/2013 7:55:58 AM
Too cool for school. I'm horrible at math and even I know this stuff with percentages.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LF2O7.gif
http://i.imgur.com/WoISA.gif
#19Shiek_2002Posted 1/31/2013 8:58:41 AM
Sweet, I can't wait to turn a 2% chance to a 2.4%! Now all the monsters are mine!
---
PSN - Homey_Christ
#20the_requiemPosted 1/31/2013 9:08:47 AM
Mage_of_Wind posted...
the_requiem posted...
Ultimate_Broly posted...

He only thought it was additive instead of multiplicative, so he's not exactly wrong math-wise, he's just wrong mechanic-wise.

His math was wrong coz probabilities are never additive, always multiplicative. Probabilities, permutations and combinations all come under math.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-25, Sal-50