The revival of jrpgs

#1RiggliePosted 1/30/2013 6:50:22 PM
The genre is returning to it's former glory. Atlus is on fire with the hole SMT and Persona franchise. Fire Emblem awakening is getting pretty good reviews. NIS as been going crazy with their rpg release and we all of them. The company that makes Xenoblade chronicles plan on making it a franchise it seems. This game has been selling well and is getting good reception. Namco is localizing more tales games and project x zone. Mistwalker look like they have alot of potential.
#2Bubble_ManPosted 1/30/2013 6:55:00 PM
I sure hope that proves to be the case. I hope we see more traditional jrpgs with proper world maps and a sense of adventure. Lately there have been a lot of strategy rpgs and linear ones, which is what makes Ni No Kuni such a breath of fresh air to the genre.
#3LeanaunfurledPosted 1/30/2013 6:56:54 PM
I feel I can't say this enough:

Localize Bravely Default and I'll be ecstatic.
---
http://i.imgur.com/0k75L.gif
http://i.imgur.com/dPMIr.gif
#4MuflagginPosted 1/30/2013 6:56:58 PM
Fire Emblem isn't a JRPG. And people need to stop acting like JRPG's have been nonexistent.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#5kamikaze135Posted 1/30/2013 7:00:43 PM
Leanaunfurled posted...
I feel I can't say this enough:

Localize Bravely Default and I'll be ecstatic.

It's funny when we see the titles SE chooses to localize. Maybe they actually do make money off of them or and the "huge" fanbase we see for these games is only online. Which isn't enough for localization. I recall somebody from SE mentioning that Chrono Trigger didn't sell well enough on the SNES or the DS, yet we see so many people praising it online and upset with SE for not making a proper sequel.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#6ArsenicSteelPosted 1/30/2013 7:04:23 PM
Rigglie posted...
The genre is returning to it's former glory. Atlus is on fire with the hole SMT and Persona franchise. Fire Emblem awakening is getting pretty good reviews. NIS as been going crazy with their rpg release and we all of them. The company that makes Xenoblade chronicles plan on making it a franchise it seems. This game has been selling well and is getting good reception. Namco is localizing more tales games and project x zone. Mistwalker look like they have alot of potential.

Haven't all those franchise and companies been doing pretty well for themselves for years? What exactly is being revived if JRPGs have had Atlus, NIS, and Namco making hits all the time?
---
A heretic among heretics.
#7westontickleePosted 1/30/2013 7:17:31 PM
Muflaggin posted...
Fire Emblem isn't a JRPG. And people need to stop acting like JRPG's have been nonexistent.

This
---
I come from the future
Claire "Lightning" Farron's best friend, maried to Ayesha Altugle, ex lover of Milla Maxwell
#8ArsenicSteelPosted 1/30/2013 7:20:02 PM
westonticklee posted...
Muflaggin posted...

This

All of that? I am sure Fire Emblem is a RPG that was made in Japan...so JRPG. The Western themes used in the game don't change that.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#9Rigglie(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:20:54 PM
Muflaggin posted...

lol you just said Fire Emblem isn't a jrpg. Also compared to the past, jrpgs have been non existent
#10katellaPosted 1/30/2013 7:21:04 PM
Muflaggin posted...
Fire Emblem isn't a JRPG.

Do explain
---
If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic~
PSN: ScarletDevilI( L [undercase] + i [uppercase] )