The revival of jrpgs

#21Virtue777Posted 1/30/2013 8:46:02 PM
Oh and at least portable systems still had a lot of great JRPGs.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#22Zio_DynePosted 1/30/2013 8:50:25 PM
Fire Emblem is an srpg......made in Japan.
Categorize it as you will. It's not as if the rpg genre or it's sub-genres have any real meaning anyway.
They're uninformative at best; an inane topic of discussion at worst.

And just because you haven't cared about any recent jrpgs, doesn't mean they were dead.
You guys can keep throwing phoenix downs at it all you want, but they're just going to miss.
#23MetalKeiyaPosted 1/30/2013 8:53:38 PM
Fire Emblem's a JRPG. Well, it's a Strategy JRPG. If FE isn't a JRPG, then Disgaea isn't as well.

There was a time, like Fighting Games, JRPG's were the big thing that people were playing. That was about 10-15 years ago. A couple of things happened after that:

- other genres became more popular (shooters, MMO's, action-adventure).
- gaming became more mainstream. More people started playing games, and they might not necessarily like the same things we like. The reason why JRPG's seemed to be so popular back then because they were popular... back when the gaming community was much smaller.

A more mainstream/casual/non-niche gaming community is a difficult market for JRPG's to break into, which is why games like Valkyria Chronicles get so little attention and sales, while Call of Duty can move millions. The casual/non-niche quality of the market has caused games like Final Fantasy XIII to reconsider how to sell their product, but with mixed results.

So, I guess it's not necessarily a revival of JRPG's, but rather, the release of a very good-quality one that embraces the fact that it's a niche game. It shouldn't make you less excited, though.
---
By reading this post, I have just killed off one of your brain cells.
#24adibicciPosted 1/30/2013 8:54:05 PM
ArsenicSteel posted...
Rigglie posted...
The genre is returning to it's former glory. Atlus is on fire with the hole SMT and Persona franchise. Fire Emblem awakening is getting pretty good reviews. NIS as been going crazy with their rpg release and we all of them. The company that makes Xenoblade chronicles plan on making it a franchise it seems. This game has been selling well and is getting good reception. Namco is localizing more tales games and project x zone. Mistwalker look like they have alot of potential.

Haven't all those franchise and companies been doing pretty well for themselves for years? What exactly is being revived if JRPGs have had Atlus, NIS, and Namco making hits all the time?

yeah nis has published 3 atelier games this gen with a 4th coming in march. sadly no one here has played them. guess the girl on the cover makes them insecure about their sexuality. mebe after the buzz of ninokuni, people will be willing to give the 4th one a try, even though its "girlie".
#25Virtue777Posted 1/30/2013 9:00:44 PM
MetalKeiya posted...
Fire Emblem's a JRPG. Well, it's a Strategy JRPG. If FE isn't a JRPG, then Disgaea isn't as well.

There was a time, like Fighting Games, JRPG's were the big thing that people were playing. That was about 10-15 years ago. A couple of things happened after that:

- other genres became more popular (shooters, MMO's, action-adventure).
- gaming became more mainstream. More people started playing games, and they might not necessarily like the same things we like. The reason why JRPG's seemed to be so popular back then because they were popular... back when the gaming community was much smaller.

A more mainstream/casual/non-niche gaming community is a difficult market for JRPG's to break into, which is why games like Valkyria Chronicles get so little attention and sales, while Call of Duty can move millions. The casual/non-niche quality of the market has caused games like Final Fantasy XIII to reconsider how to sell their product, but with mixed results.

So, I guess it's not necessarily a revival of JRPG's, but rather, the release of a very good-quality one that embraces the fact that it's a niche game. It shouldn't make you less excited, though.

I think JRPGs fell out of favor not because of other genres becoming more popular, but because of the majority of JRPGs being bad. Like really, really bad. I remember picking up Enchanted Arms and wanting to hurt myself to distract from the emotional pain that game caused me. I had high hopes for SO4 and Eternal Sonata, and while Eternal Sonata was playable, SO4 was such an awful experience for me that just thinking about it makes me nauseous. I forced myself to play through Lost Odyssey and I don't even remember it now, what a dull and boring game. I actually really, really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII when I first played through it, especially because I had prepared myself for the linear aspect of the first half of the game...but it's not even really a JRPG experience. It felt more like a slightly interactive movie than anything. Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces, WKC...so many mediocre games.

Xenoblade gave me hope for the genre, Ni No Kuni has shown me that it is possible to make a good next gen JRPG.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#26MuflagginPosted 1/30/2013 9:05:32 PM
Fire Emblem is a STRATEGY RPG. Just like Final Fantasy Tactics, for example, isn't a JRPG.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#27MetalKeiyaPosted 1/30/2013 9:09:06 PM
I think JRPGs fell out of favor not because of other genres becoming more popular, but because of the majority of JRPGs being bad. Like really, really bad.

... actually, that argument holds a lot of water. Not only did we get a drought of console JRPG's, but we had a drought of good console RPG's from the bigger, more established companies. I mean, sure, NISA and Atlus do it because it's their job to, but what happened to Final Fantasy, Tales, Suikoden and Breath of Fire, which are the flagship RPG titles for the Japanese companies? Well, FF is there, and so is tales, but Suikoden and Breath of Fire are MIA. Capcom has Monster Hunter, but it's a somewhat-multiplayer RPG, and has no PS3-360 presence.

But I think it's not one reason, but a combination of those reasons. I'm trying to promote NNK to my friends and my colleagues to make them give the game a try.
---
By reading this post, I have just killed off one of your brain cells.
#28hyperknees91Posted 1/30/2013 9:20:35 PM(edited)
Muflaggin posted...
Fire Emblem is a STRATEGY RPG. Just like Final Fantasy Tactics, for example, isn't a JRPG.

Now you're just being silly.

JRPGs have never been dead. Just because they all went to the handhelds doesn't mean they are dead. Graphics have never been that important feature for RPG fans anyways, and since they can develop them for cheap and get better sales it was the obvious solution.

The DS and PSP probably have more JRPGs combined then the whole last gen (or just as much).
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#29Gandalf the IstariPosted 1/30/2013 9:19:39 PM
hyperknees91 posted...
Muflaggin posted...

Stop using nice words for dumb.
#30MuflagginPosted 1/30/2013 9:32:25 PM
Muflaggin posted...

JRPGs have never been dead. Just because they all went to the handhelds doesn't mean they are dead. Graphics have never been that important feature for RPG fans anyways, and since they can develop them for cheap and get better sales it was the obvious solution.

The DS and PSP probably have more JRPGs combined then the whole last gen (or just as much).

Wait when did I say JRPG's are dead? I'm the one who said they AREN'T. Did you mean to quote someone else?
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule