The revival of jrpgs

#31FoofyheadPosted 1/30/2013 9:36:02 PM
I've got all of the Arland games, but I just haven't' done much with them...so yeah, not everyone is ignoring them.
---
Abra-kaflippin-dabra! Here goes!
#32TheFuzz177Posted 1/30/2013 9:48:10 PM
I would call it a revival if you are referring to the quality of jrpg's(Or rpg's in general) going back to what they used to be.
There have been a few of them. Some of them ok, some pretty good, most uninspired and uninteresting.

Like, gameplay was fun, but the story sucked.. Or the characters made you want to murder them in the most horrible way you could imagine. (Star ocean: TLH)

Games used to click together nicely with gameplay, story, characters, music.
The whole package that made them memorable.. Moments that you can still recall to this day, even though you havn't played the game in over a decade.

Now a day you have beautiful looking garbage.
Graphics are awesome, but story is severely lacking, or just plain boring..
Characters are not well developed or just plain uninteresting and unlikable.
Gameplay hasn't been to big of an issue for most games.

PS2 is still my main console. My most played console. (I play ps1 games on it too of course)
RPG's are by far my most favorite genre. Turn based, Action, Strategy, doesn't matter which, as long as i enjoy the story and characters. Which its hard not to with the older games. They just did things right back than.
#33FoofyheadPosted 1/30/2013 10:56:26 PM
Where are these JRPGs you played 'back in the day' that had great stories? I must have missed a few somehow.
---
#34PirateMoePosted 1/30/2013 11:13:18 PM
Foofyhead posted...
Where are these JRPGs you played 'back in the day' that had great stories? I must have missed a few somehow.

A lot of them were pretty impressive for their times, you gotta admit, at least. All things are relative so most of the time you can't compare them to books or movies, but compared to games? RPGs were at the forefront of the story-driven game, the Final Fantasy series a front runner. An RPGamer.com article even once called FF4 "The birth of the story-driven game." First or not, it was at least *among* the pioneers.
For me, Eathbound comes to mind. Cute, quirky, zaney, lighthearted, and pretty entertaining. And again, especially for its time. Chrono Trigger also sticks out because I've got a pretty big nerd-on for time travel ^_^
#35FoofyheadPosted 1/30/2013 11:19:57 PM
I guess. I'll just never play a game for a good story, so saying games 10-20 years ago had better stories is fairly irrelevant.

Also, FFIV is the best game of all time, but not because of the story.
---
#36badboyPosted 1/30/2013 11:31:22 PM(edited)
Atlus and NIS release mediocre titles 90% of the time, or games that only appeal to their own tiny fanbase. There were, however, many good JRPGs on handheld platforms last gen by other companies like Level-5 itself (Dragon Quest IX).
#37PirateMoePosted 1/30/2013 11:36:02 PM
Foofyhead posted...
I'll just never play a game for a good story

Try Spec-Ops: The Line. It's only like a 6-hour commitment, so it's not even a huge loss if you don't like the story and narrative.

Be warned though, it does spend like the first hour, maybe 2, looking like a regular war story. It...starts gettin' crazy past the halfway point though.
#38Thanatos2kPosted 1/30/2013 11:54:21 PM
It would help if Nintendo of America hadn't been holding several hostage.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#39FoofyheadPosted 1/31/2013 12:36:07 AM
PirateMoe posted...
Foofyhead posted...
I'll just never play a game for a good story

Try Spec-Ops: The Line. It's only like a 6-hour commitment, so it's not even a huge loss if you don't like the story and narrative.

Be warned though, it does spend like the first hour, maybe 2, looking like a regular war story. It...starts gettin' crazy past the halfway point though.

I was 'this' close to grabbing that once. I am aiming to curb my spending this year though :(
---
#40Rigglie(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 7:14:23 AM
badboy posted...
Atlus and NIS release mediocre titles 90% of the time, or games that only appeal to their own tiny fanbase. There were, however, many good JRPGs on handheld platforms last gen by other companies like Level-5 itself (Dragon Quest IX).

lol persona 4 golden is the highest rated jrpg of all time.