The revival of jrpgs

#51Daryon43Posted 2/2/2013 4:37:59 AM
Personally i think it's more a case that jrpg's have been so bad for so long now,
that when a half decent one does appear people jump on it like it's the second coming.

And someone mentioned nisa?
When i see something with their name on the front the first thing that comes to my mind is,
"oh great, another rpg full of underage looking girls flashing their pants"
#52DragoonGriffithPosted 2/2/2013 5:25:08 AM
The only way I can see someone not being happy with this gen of JRPGs is if he/she is only on the PS3.

That, or people must've missed a good amount of great handheld JRPGs and some great console RPGs even (Xenoblade, TLS, Lost Odyssey, any Tales this gen really, VC...).
---
Currently playing: Earthbound, Radiant Historia.
#53OoSubaruoOPosted 2/2/2013 5:35:13 AM
Virtue777 posted...
MetalKeiya posted...
Fire Emblem's a JRPG. Well, it's a Strategy JRPG. If FE isn't a JRPG, then Disgaea isn't as well.

There was a time, like Fighting Games, JRPG's were the big thing that people were playing. That was about 10-15 years ago. A couple of things happened after that:

- other genres became more popular (shooters, MMO's, action-adventure).
- gaming became more mainstream. More people started playing games, and they might not necessarily like the same things we like. The reason why JRPG's seemed to be so popular back then because they were popular... back when the gaming community was much smaller.

A more mainstream/casual/non-niche gaming community is a difficult market for JRPG's to break into, which is why games like Valkyria Chronicles get so little attention and sales, while Call of Duty can move millions. The casual/non-niche quality of the market has caused games like Final Fantasy XIII to reconsider how to sell their product, but with mixed results.

So, I guess it's not necessarily a revival of JRPG's, but rather, the release of a very good-quality one that embraces the fact that it's a niche game. It shouldn't make you less excited, though.

I think JRPGs fell out of favor not because of other genres becoming more popular, but because of the majority of JRPGs being bad. Like really, really bad. I remember picking up Enchanted Arms and wanting to hurt myself to distract from the emotional pain that game caused me. I had high hopes for SO4 and Eternal Sonata, and while Eternal Sonata was playable, SO4 was such an awful experience for me that just thinking about it makes me nauseous. I forced myself to play through Lost Odyssey and I don't even remember it now, what a dull and boring game. I actually really, really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII when I first played through it, especially because I had prepared myself for the linear aspect of the first half of the game...but it's not even really a JRPG experience. It felt more like a slightly interactive movie than anything. Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces, WKC...so many mediocre games.

Xenoblade gave me hope for the genre, Ni No Kuni has shown me that it is possible to make a good next gen JRPG.

Really? You found these 2 mediocre?..
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#54kilaudePosted 2/2/2013 6:27:09 AM
Fire Emblem is a SJRPG, where's the doubt?

Strategy Japanese Role-playing Game.
#55Virtue777Posted 2/2/2013 7:43:03 AM
OoSubaruoO posted...
Virtue777 posted...
MetalKeiya posted...
Fire Emblem's a JRPG. Well, it's a Strategy JRPG. If FE isn't a JRPG, then Disgaea isn't as well.

There was a time, like Fighting Games, JRPG's were the big thing that people were playing. That was about 10-15 years ago. A couple of things happened after that:

- other genres became more popular (shooters, MMO's, action-adventure).
- gaming became more mainstream. More people started playing games, and they might not necessarily like the same things we like. The reason why JRPG's seemed to be so popular back then because they were popular... back when the gaming community was much smaller.

A more mainstream/casual/non-niche gaming community is a difficult market for JRPG's to break into, which is why games like Valkyria Chronicles get so little attention and sales, while Call of Duty can move millions. The casual/non-niche quality of the market has caused games like Final Fantasy XIII to reconsider how to sell their product, but with mixed results.

So, I guess it's not necessarily a revival of JRPG's, but rather, the release of a very good-quality one that embraces the fact that it's a niche game. It shouldn't make you less excited, though.

I think JRPGs fell out of favor not because of other genres becoming more popular, but because of the majority of JRPGs being bad. Like really, really bad. I remember picking up Enchanted Arms and wanting to hurt myself to distract from the emotional pain that game caused me. I had high hopes for SO4 and Eternal Sonata, and while Eternal Sonata was playable, SO4 was such an awful experience for me that just thinking about it makes me nauseous. I forced myself to play through Lost Odyssey and I don't even remember it now, what a dull and boring game. I actually really, really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII when I first played through it, especially because I had prepared myself for the linear aspect of the first half of the game...but it's not even really a JRPG experience. It felt more like a slightly interactive movie than anything. Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces, WKC...so many mediocre games.

Xenoblade gave me hope for the genre, Ni No Kuni has shown me that it is possible to make a good next gen JRPG.

Really? You found these 2 mediocre?..

Yep. Tales of Graces f brings nothing to the table, but takes the series multiple steps back. The story is cliche, the battle system cumbersome, the world uninspired, and the soundtrack repetitive and subpar. Tales of Vesperia is a bit better, but I feel like the pacing is a bit off, the battle system repetitive (and overall just dull, brings hardly anything new to the series, at least Tales of Graces f tried something different), the postgame is horrendous, and the antagonist is entirely forgettable.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382