All the DLC familiars apart from griffy are underwhelming. Also tactics question

#1JRPGPosted 1/31/2013 11:08:59 PM
So griffy appears to be a beast...shame he doesn't defend or evade.
Flutterby, gold hurly and draggle just seem to be worse than the standard familiars that come through the game automatically. I can see some potential in draggle.

Also for all out attack and defense. Do you have to go back to tactics to change them back to healing? I'm not sure I fully understand it. Is it just a temporary thing since its not part of tactics?

Also Esther keeps dying. All my others are fine but she just doesn't seem to be able to keep up. Doesn't voter me since she gets exp even dead. But is this normal? My other members are bossing but still take considerable damage. Just got the ship.
---
PSN: Joerpg84
3DS: 2621-2720-6163
#2zzenigmaxzzPosted 1/31/2013 11:10:51 PM
get her a wall type monster like monolith or tumblewood and she will stop dying, shes just like that early on, she has a horrible AI

and as far as all out goes, it is a temp change of tactics, you will still have to go in manually if you want to permanently change their tactics
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni
XboxLive Gamertag: ZZenigmaxZZ PSN ID: zzenigmaxzz
#3JRPG(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:16:13 PM(edited)
Ok Thanks...i'll get her a wall type. I like her to heal though so she will end up using the weak defense healing familiars instead of the wall one and die anyway I think.
---
#4JRPG(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:15:17 PM
Also if I choose all out defense and my team members have a psyche up familiar...do they still defend or switch in time?
---
#5zzenigmaxzzPosted 1/31/2013 11:16:47 PM(edited)
this is why you give the wall healing spells lol

tumblewood actually lerns them but monolith you will have to teach them to i believe, i dont use monolith anymore since i got my tumblewood

if they have a familiar with a particularly high defensive stat then they will swap it out, but once again esthers AI is horrible so you may see her throw out tumblewood even when pickign all out attack

---
#6JRPG(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:17:22 PM
zzenigmaxzz posted...

tumblewood actually lerns them but monolith you will have to teach them to i believe, i dont use monolith anymore since i got my tumblewood

Had no idea you could teach a healing spell to a wall. I'll def get a tumblewood
---
#7zzenigmaxzzPosted 1/31/2013 11:20:06 PM
JRPG posted...
zzenigmaxzz posted...

Had no idea you could teach a healing spell to a wall. I'll def get a tumblewood

thats what makes him so good, he gets both single and group heals

later in the game get him an omniseal badge and he will almost never take damage (increases all resistance types)
---
#8JRPG(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:48:01 PM
I cant find the name tumble wood in my guide. Does it have something at the start?

Also what are the best tactics. I want Esther to use def buffs and heal for bosses mostly. I'm guessing I need to this manually.

And if I choose all out defense. Do all characters defend even if the familiar has psyche up instead of evade/defend? Or do they switch in time?
---
#9x7forgottenPosted 1/31/2013 11:54:58 PM
Page 45 in the strategy guide. Lumberwood

For random encounters I find I can use anyone with any familiar I've raised and do well enough.

For bosses I take manual control of Oliver and cast spells. Or if it is going to be an exceptionally long boss I take control of Esther who has healing songs and familiars and just play the white mage till I win.
#10MidgardDragon99Posted 1/31/2013 11:56:53 PM
Griffy doesn't need to defend or evade, I just tap L1 (switch to Oliver) -> L2 -> X -> Square

Full defense from everyone, bam.
---
3DS FC: 4639-9048-2382, Wii FC: 4558-6862-5396-5206, PSN: MidgardDragon
DD Pawn: http://game.capcom.co.jp/DD/en/pawn_detail/?pf=PS3&gid=MidgardDragon