Give/take heart could have been such a cool mechanic

#1monstrePosted 2/1/2013 1:12:32 PM
Imagine if you could take and give whatever piece of heart you'd want from NPC and have different reaction. Like give kindness so that merchant just give you a discount, or have multiple way to get through story point depending on what piece of heart you give (I wont't list any possibility for spoiler, but you get the idea). Instead we got this super hand holding system where we don't even have to figure out what to use since it's labelled in big red letter.
---
Are you an evil genius or a good idiot?
#2jackstar_rockPosted 2/1/2013 1:17:44 PM
Another minor gripe I have with NnK. It was fun and refreshing for the first few towns, but eventually without any variety or evolution in it, as TC suggested to influence merchant prices or even branching story paths, we ended up with a squandered opportunity.
#3cancerboy87Posted 2/1/2013 1:21:18 PM
it would have been fine IMO if you didnt have to sift through the text and then wait for the spell menu prompt to give take the heart. If you could just walk up to them and cast the spell I would have liked it more because then it would be a less painful process at least.
---
"Naruto isn't a ninja. He is a mage, why do you think he is able to do all those spells."-StupidMofoz
PSN: MrsCliffton
#4SigmaHacielPosted 2/1/2013 1:21:41 PM
And then it would have blurred the line between what Oliver was doing, and what Shadar did.

"Oh, hey. Lets just take a piece of this woman's heart because she showed us some gratitude, and throw it into the merchant's body so I can get a discount."
#5NewMoonShadowPosted 2/1/2013 1:22:32 PM
Yeah, it could have been an overarching puzzle mechanic taking/giving pieces of heart based on clues and being punished/rewarded depending on if you gave the right piece or not. As it is it's just sort of a glorified fetch-quest system, where instead of having to go get combs and scissors for people you get Kindness and Enthusiasm.

It's not even like they let you stockpile the Emotions either, you can only have one of each at any time...
#6PhadinPosted 2/1/2013 1:38:00 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Yeah, it could have been an overarching puzzle mechanic taking/giving pieces of heart based on clues and being punished/rewarded depending on if you gave the right piece or not. As it is it's just sort of a glorified fetch-quest system, where instead of having to go get combs and scissors for people you get Kindness and Enthusiasm.

I agree with this. It would have been awsome for it to be included as a puzzle mechanic. I can kinda understand why they didn't want you going around grabbing and tossing pieces of heart from everyone you come accross. Would have been cool with merchants, but it would get unweildy for the game to track who held what pieces of heart. Also, some people got/lost their pieces of heart at different points of the game.

However, it would have functioned much better with the puzzle mechanic. That would have given purpose to reading the walls of text before casting each spell as well.
#7Thanatos2kPosted 2/1/2013 2:13:46 PM
I'm thinking something like Avalon Code did. Extract and drop attributes on and off of people.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#8BottledPoePosted 2/1/2013 2:42:14 PM
Thanatos2k posted...
I'm thinking something like Avalon Code did. Extract and drop attributes on and off of people.

Except not as tedious. My gripe with that game is that you have to cycle through so many pages to store codes.

/off topic
---
3DS FC: 3050-7585-1835
#9XGaltPosted 2/1/2013 3:00:01 PM
Maybe in the sequel, but yeah for the moment I did my first few side quests I didn't really find the give/take heart mechanic to be cool at all.
---
"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
GT/PSN: GnuX