Few questions about the game

#1Doober2Posted 2/2/2013 5:27:37 AM
I've not played many level 5 games, just Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 2.

I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2, but it did have something about it that I didn't like, something that felt abit "dull" about the game.

Dragon Quest VIII, tbh, I just didn't like. It bored me to tears in fact.

So I'm kinda on the fence with this and whether to buy it. Thought I'd ask a few things to help me decide.

1. Similarities to Dragon Quest VIII? Is there many....if I hated DQVIII, is there any chance of me liking this, at all?

2. Grind. How grindy is the game? The thought of getting monsters and leveling them makes me concerned there is quite a lot of grinding involved, I couldn't get into the pokemon games for this reason

3. Battle system. How well made, designed and balanced is it? The JRPGs I've played this gen have been good in this area, mostly (I ain't played many tbh this gen, but the only one that was poorly made was Star Ocean 4). The battle system is a key part of a JRPG for me and whether I'll enjoy it. It needs to be well made and have good balance to it and not have fluctuating enemy difficulty / levels thoughout the game.

5. Level system. Similar to above, how well designed is it? Do you find yourself easily overlevelling in the game?

6. Music. One of the things I really hated about DQVIII (and I have to say, wasn't keen on in DC2) was the music. Is this game more of the same in style?

7. "Humour". I did briefly try the demo, and was immediately greeted with "Knickers! Knickers! Knickers! Knickers! Knickers! Knickers!. Is this kinda thing common throughout the game? Cause I can see it getting annoying fast.

Just trying to see if I should buy the game now, or wait till it's cheaper....but the concern with that is it might be the type of game that vanishes from the shelfs and online stores after a while.

Thanks in advance.
---
Currently Playing:Max Payne 3, Dead or Alive 5, Suikoden V
#2colstripcapnPosted 2/2/2013 6:13:32 AM
You won't like it. Not going to go through all your points in your list, but there are more "yes" than "no".

To be honest, this sounds like a genre you do not enjoy but for some reason are forcing yourself to. The game is very popular, but it is still a JRPG (and a very good one at that).
#3zPolarPosted 2/2/2013 6:45:48 AM
sounds like he hates jrpgs in general. why is he even looking into the game lol
#4Doober2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 6:55:53 AM
Dunno where this dislike of JRPG crap is coming from.

RPG games have always been favorite genre

When I'm playing games, almost always, one of them will be an RPG. And 80% of time, it's a JRPG.

It's the genre I've played the most since I started gaming in the early 1990s
---
#5Doober2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 11:39:52 AM
bump
---
#6LeanaunfurledPosted 2/2/2013 11:42:08 AM
You won't like it.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#7Doober2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 8:36:49 AM
bump
---
#8Defensor24Posted 2/3/2013 8:53:10 AM
1. Similarities to Dragon Quest VIII? Is there many....if I hated DQVIII, is there any chance of me liking this, at all?

DQ8 and Ni No Kuni are quite different from one another. The entire combat system is different and there are no skill trees so you might like this.

2. Grind. How grindy is the game? The thought of getting monsters and leveling them makes me concerned there is quite a lot of grinding involved, I couldn't get into the pokemon games for this reason

The game is not really grindy per se. If you try to rush through the gane without doing any side quests you might need to grind a bit but there are specific enemies that can speed the process up a lot.

3. Battle system. How well made, designed and balanced is it? The JRPGs I've played this gen have been good in this area, mostly (I ain't played many tbh this gen, but the only one that was poorly made was Star Ocean 4). The battle system is a key part of a JRPG for me and whether I'll enjoy it. It needs to be well made and have good balance to it and not have fluctuating enemy difficulty / levels thoughout the game.

The balance in this game is pretty good. the only really difficulty spike is if you explore too much when certain transportation methods become available. Even then the game basically tells you where to go so you will only have this happen if you ignore the implied warning.

4. Where the heck did your 4 go?

5. Level system. Similar to above, how well designed is it? Do you find yourself easily overlevelling in the game?

I became over leveled because I tried to catch that familiar that allows you to level quickly and fought several hundred of them. Obviously catching that familiar is not required and even all that necessary since you can complete the game with any set of familiars (probably).

6. Music. One of the things I really hated about DQVIII (and I have to say, wasn't keen on in DC2) was the music. Is this game more of the same in style?

Better music than DQ8 but then again I liked the music in DQ8 so I am not really able to answer this question effectively.

7. "Humour". I did briefly try the demo, and was immediately greeted with "Knickers! Knickers! Knickers! Knickers! Knickers! Knickers!. Is this kinda thing common throughout the game? Cause I can see it getting annoying fast.

I love the humor in the game but by the sounds you might not like Drippy. He has a lot of likes through out the game but I find it light hearted and refreshing.
#9TercelPosted 2/3/2013 8:58:23 AM
What are some of your favourite jrpgs? Just to get a feel of what you like, make it easier to judge.
---
PSN: Tercel96
#10cz75gscPosted 2/3/2013 9:01:10 AM
The game it reminds me the most of is Dragon Quest IX : Sentinels of the starry sky on the DS.

While the battle system is different, there are many similarities:

1- Harvest spots on the world map for alchemy, and the alchemy system overall has been taken straight from that game.

2- The way numbers higher than 300 can be considered as heavy damage and high stats.

3- The sidequests, except for those with the heart mechanic.

3- The general feel and tone of the game is also pretty similar.

So... If you're not a fan of lvl 5 dragon quest games, Ni No Kuni won't be your cup of tea I guess.