Things you wish you knew before you started playing.

#1jimmyCCFCPosted 2/2/2013 10:45:42 AM
Just got this today and i'll be firing it up tonight, any advice before i start off? No spoilers would be nice ;)
#2coydog_30Posted 2/2/2013 10:47:20 AM
Rest and save often. Never know when a boss battle may appear. They can pop up when you're least prepared.
---
Official Horus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
PSN: coydog_30 GT: TyingDarkDragon
#3avalanche99xPosted 2/2/2013 10:49:48 AM
NEVER sell ANYTHING that is listed as an ingredient.

As appealing as Mite sounds, he's useless. There are MUCH better Familiars out there.

Always try to have multiple Types in your party should a situation arise.

When evolving, always try to evolve from the base form, and NOT catch the higher one. You'll end up drastically lower stats if you choose the latter.
---
Blown your cover, ICU- http://z7.invisionfree.com/ICUclan/index.php?act=idx
PSN: avalanche99x2
#4BladenytePosted 2/2/2013 10:52:03 AM
coydog_30 posted...
Rest and save often. Never know when a boss battle may appear. They can pop up when you're least prepared.

that first one isnt really true.

chances are if you see a save point in a dungeon, that means that a) you just started it , or b) you are going to fight a boss.
not a whole lot of bosses just jump out at you without some really obvious warning signs. although there is at least one (and you dont even have to win that fight, so it hardly matters)
---
PSN ID: Riftweaver81
I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools-Jon Irenicus BG2
#5PsychoticNessPosted 2/2/2013 10:58:09 AM
avalanche99x posted...

As appealing as Mite sounds, he's useless. There are MUCH better Familiars out there.

This ones not ENTIRELY true and telling him that blatantly is a good way for him to bank his mite and not have a good early familiar. Keep Mite until about his third form, around 30 in last form he stops growing as much as the others. He's still immensely useful early game.
---
"Your destiny was sealed when you chose to fight me"
Jonny, NNID - psychoness999
#6ElyonPosted 2/2/2013 11:02:29 AM
avalanche99x posted...

This ones not ENTIRELY true and telling him that blatantly is a good way for him to bank his mite and not have a good early familiar. Keep Mite until about his third form, around 30 in last form he stops growing as much as the others. He's still immensely useful early game.

Seconded. Mite is good for the first part of the game, no need to toss him out immediately. He's good at what he is meant to be: A beginner familiar.

As for me...
There's a mob called Naja in the Ding Dong Dell sewers that you'll want to Tame.
After every story event, go back to a certain NPC in the Deep Dark Woods. He'll give you items.
---
Cyril ~ I'm glad you know your place.
#7avalanche99xPosted 2/2/2013 11:04:54 AM
PsychoticNess posted...
avalanche99x posted...

Meh, I'd rather warn him ahead of time. Granted, I should've stated that Mite is indeed terrific up until mid-game, maybe a little past that, but after?

To restate, keep Mite until mid-gameish, THEN ditch him.
---
Blown your cover, ICU- http://z7.invisionfree.com/ICUclan/index.php?act=idx
PSN: avalanche99x2
#8lanifPosted 2/2/2013 11:15:15 AM
i used mite till the end of the game and used griffy too i will do another playthrough at some point ill be better prepared
---
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben sometimes she hits me first!!!!
#9PowerfulMan222Posted 2/2/2013 11:20:03 AM
Equipment is vital. Especially during the main game. If the familiar has bad equipment choices, chances are it needs post game stuff.
#10Madmartigan108Posted 2/2/2013 11:47:24 AM
As stupid as this might sound, I wish I had known that you could cancel a command with the circle button to get to Defend quicker. Pretty much every boss in the game tore me apart until I figured that out. I'm pretty sure the game doesn't tell you about this though, but my best guess is that it's probably in the instruction manual.