What's a good jrpg that's not in no kuni.

#111hyperknees91Posted 2/2/2013 7:12:43 PM(edited)
Yes, same reason everyone loved DQVIII (or any DQ). Also the game is very MMO like anyway so that's kind of it's appeal. Why do you think everyone was pissed with XIII, because it had no exploration! (not me personally, just other people).

It's not for everyone though I will agree. If you didn't like FFXII or KOTOR, you probably won't like Xenoblade either.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#112DragonSamuraiPosted 2/2/2013 7:16:10 PM
Zio_Dyne posted...
but...Birth By Sleep had sub-par voice acting at best. :o

BbS's voice acting wasn't that bad. I know Terra and Aqua were the ones who were given the least slack by reviewers. The voices fit the look of the characters but there was a lot of complaining about emoting for them.
---
"You're turning into a real human being. You're beginning to confuse generosity with stupidity." Odd to Aelita (Code Lyoko)
#113hyperknees91Posted 2/2/2013 7:18:39 PM
DragonSamurai posted...
Zio_Dyne posted...
but...Birth By Sleep had sub-par voice acting at best. :o

BbS's voice acting wasn't that bad. I know Terra and Aqua were the ones who were given the least slack by reviewers. The voices fit the look of the characters but there was a lot of complaining about emoting for them.

BBS had a lot of good voice actors in it, but Terra and Aqua...were obviously very uncomfortable matching lip flaps. Every emotion they tried to emote came out flat. If you thought Edge or Reimi in SO4 were bad, they were milessss above Terra and Aqua.

It was both their first voice role though, so I think with time they will improve.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#114Ampharos64Posted 2/2/2013 7:20:01 PM
hyperknees91 posted...
Yes, same reason everyone loved DQVIII (or any DQ). Also the game is very MMO like anyway so that's kind of it's appeal.

It's not for everyone though I will agree. If you didn't like FFXII or KOTOR, you probably won't like Xenoblade either.

I see, thanks. : ) It does sound like I really wouldn't like it then (I hated the Pulse section of FFXIII despite actually enjoying the rest of the game), to me if someone talks about 'the best JRPG this gen' I'd have assumed they meant a more traditional one. Think I've said before that that's one of the problems with this genre, XD - really it varies a lot and is divided into so many sub-genres, that it's not always easy to make reccomendations or fair to compare different games.
#115hyperknees91Posted 2/2/2013 7:24:12 PM
Ampharos64 posted...
hyperknees91 posted...
Yes, same reason everyone loved DQVIII (or any DQ). Also the game is very MMO like anyway so that's kind of it's appeal.

I see, thanks. : ) It does sound like I really wouldn't like it then (I hated the Pulse section of FFXIII despite actually enjoying the rest of the game), to me if someone talks about 'the best JRPG this gen' I'd have assumed they meant a more traditional one. Think I've said before that that's one of the problems with this genre, XD - really it varies a lot and is divided into so many sub-genres, that it's not always easy to make reccomendations or fair to compare different games.

I'm with you there, I hated the pulse section to because it felt out of place and threw off the pacing. If a game wants to have exploratio, it should friggin give it to you from the beginning (ala XIII-2).

If they mean traditional though, I would think recommending XIII-2, Trails in the Sky, or Radiant Historia would be your best bet. They are as traditional JRPG as you could get (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are possible recommendations, just not from me).
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#116Thanatos2kPosted 2/2/2013 8:26:50 PM
Munch27 posted...
The Hyperdimension Neptunia games are great.

If by great you mean "Some of the worst RPGs of all time."
---
-Thanatos2k-
#117Ssj7CronoPosted 2/2/2013 8:29:14 PM
PW360 posted...
SO4 is a bastardization of everything SO3 did right. Don't bother with that one.

I have to agree with this. SO4 felt like a step backwards compared to SO3.
#118Ssj7CronoPosted 2/2/2013 8:36:37 PM
I just recently completed Xenogears a few months ago. I bought it off the PSN store for $10 and played most of it on my PSP and finished the end game on my PS3. One of the best JRPGs I've played ever. I'm just glad this got a PSN release since the physical copy are expensive.
#119Thanatos2kPosted 2/2/2013 9:19:50 PM(edited)
Ok, since people are all over the place, I'll do everyone a favor and rank all the JRPGs that came out this generation. If a JRPG isn't on this list it's because I don't own it or haven't played it, or lost it, or forgot it. WRPGs like Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma don't count. I'm mostly ignoring the PC (though there are quite few PC-only JRPGs). I'm also not listing ports. Each rank level is in no particular order.

The Excellent:
Nier (PS3)
Xenoblade (Wii)
Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PSP)
Kingdom Hearts: BBS (PSP)
Tactics Ogre LUCT remake (PSP)
SMT: Strange Journey (DS)
Radiant Historia (DS)
The World Ends With You (DS)

The Good:
Lost Odyssey (360)
Ni No Kuni (PS3)
Tales of Vesperia (360)
Tales of Graces F (PS3)
Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii)
Muramasa (Wii)
Brave Story: New Traveler (PSP)
Jeanne D'Arc (PSP)
Half Minute Hero (PSP)
Dissidia (PSP)
Crimson Gem Saga (PSP)
Solatorobo (DS)
SMT: Devil Survivor (DS)
Mario and Luigi 3 (DS)
Infinite Space (DS)
Golden Sun 3 (DS)
Atelier Rorona (PS3)
Atelier Totori (PS3)
Atelier Meruru (PS3)
The Last Remnant (PC version only!)
Ys Oath in Felghana (PSP)
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (Wii)
Growlanser 4 (PSP)
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS)

The Decent:
Magna Carta 2 (360)
The Last Story (WIi)
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)
Ys 7 (PSP)
Sand of Destruction/World Destruction (DS)
Lufia 2 remake (DS)
FF12-Revenant Wings (DS)
Black Sigil (DS)
Atelier Annie (DS)
Disgaea 3 (PS3)
Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Eternal Sonata (PS3/360)
Resonance of Fate (PS3/360)
Kingdom Hearts DDD (3DS)
Star Ocean 1 (PSP)
Gungnir (PSP)
RIZ-ZOAWD (DS)
Persona 1 (PSP)
Rainbow Moon (PS3)

The Mediocre:
FF13-2 (PS3)
Infinite Undiscovery (360)
Dokapon Kingdom (Wii)
Shiren the Wanderer (Wii)
Wild Arms XF (PSP)
Hexyz Force (PSP)
Sonic Chronicles (DS)
Lost Magic (DS)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)
Ar Tonelico 3 (PS3)
Enchanted Arms (PS3 port only, 360 version is worse)
Folklore (PS3)
White Knight Chronicles (PS3)
Avalon Code (DS)

The Bad:
Star Ocean 4 (PS3/360)
Tales of Symphonia 2 (Wii)
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP)
Popolocrois (PSP)
Children of Mana (DS)
Cross Edge (PS3)
White Knight Chronicles 2 (PS3)

The Terrible:
FF13 (PS3/Garbage can)
Blade Dancer (PSP)
Hyperdimension Neptunia (PS3)
Every other game made by Compile Heart (Landfill)

If you disagree, you're wrong, because I spent a lot of time making a really long list so I'm obviously right.

That was a joke. You can stop typing now.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#120-BrokenSpiral-Posted 2/2/2013 9:10:02 PM
Small fix: Path of Radiance was released on GC and Radiant Dawn was released on Wii. You have PoR listed as Wii.