What's a good jrpg that's not in no kuni.

#161DragonSamuraiPosted 2/2/2013 11:16:34 PM
Thanatos2k posted...

The Mediocre:
Wild Arms XF (PSP)
Hexyz Force (PSP)

The Bad:
Cross Edge (PS3)

If you disagree, you're wrong, because I spent a lot of time making a really long list so I'm obviously right.

That was a joke. You can stop typing now.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Thanatos while smiling to myself and countering out of amusement (I read your spoiler, don't worry). :D

I don't see how Wild Arms XF was mediocre. It challenged me quite a few times. It's a step up above the FF Tactics games where you end up just shoehorning characters into select jobs and never change them due to exploiting their high stats and skills. You certainly can't plow on through XF that way. It makes you use every job throughout the story to keep you on your toes. I liked that.

Hexyz Force was pretty good too. It was a decent romp through familiar JRPG territory and had a decent story (on Levant's side anyway). I liked that the game didn't have typical traits of certain RPGs (shops, healing medicine, etc.), but still had what was necessary for a great adventure. Extra difficulty level was definitely for those wanted bosses to kill you in fewer hits. XD

Cross Edge can be a lot of fun if you're not looking at the story. Coming up with dream teams and awesome combos is part of the charm. You know how crossover stories can be. It's just a stage so we can have an excuse to put all these characters together.
---
"You're turning into a real human being. You're beginning to confuse generosity with stupidity." Odd to Aelita (Code Lyoko)
#162Thanatos2kPosted 2/2/2013 11:29:15 PM
I don't see how Wild Arms XF was mediocre.

Grindy as hell. Farming for stuff is a nightmare. Story was bad. Characters decent. Little strategy needed.

You certainly can't plow on through XF that way. It makes you use every job throughout the story to keep you on your toes. I liked that.

I most definitely plowed through it though. It's certainly not any less exploitable.

It's a step up above the FF Tactics games

Final Fantasy Tactics puts Wild Arms XF to shame. Don't even joke about this.

Hexyz Force was pretty good too

Felt like it was 2x longer than it should have been. Oh right, because you had to start the game over halfway through and do the exact same stuff over again. Playing one side alone, it's a decent RPG. If they REALLY wanted to go the Suikoden 3 route, they needed to interleave the chapters.

Cross Edge can be a lot of fun if you're not looking at the story. Coming up with dream teams and awesome combos is part of the charm. You know how crossover stories can be. It's just a stage so we can have an excuse to put all these characters together.

Make no mistake - I like Cross Edge. I enjoyed it. But it's a pretty bad game.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#163DragonSamuraiPosted 2/3/2013 12:51:06 AM(edited)
I'm not joking. XF was some of the best SRPG fun I had back then. Farming was easy in that game too. Not like you had to go looking for specific monsters. Not saying FFT was bad.

With Hexyz Force, I admit starting the same game over just to play as a different hero might be tedious but hey we'll be doing that with Xillia soon.

Ah well, to each his own. :)
---
"You're turning into a real human being. You're beginning to confuse generosity with stupidity." Odd to Aelita (Code Lyoko)
#164Ampharos64Posted 2/3/2013 3:55:09 AM
hyperknees91 posted...
I'm with you there, I hated the pulse section to because it felt out of place and threw off the pacing. If a game wants to have exploratio, it should friggin give it to you from the beginning (ala XIII-2).

If they mean traditional though, I would think recommending XIII-2, Trails in the Sky, or Radiant Historia would be your best bet. They are as traditional JRPG as you could get (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are possible recommendations, just not from me).

Yup. I think the player was intended to feel somewhat overwhelmed by the change along with the characters, but at that point I'd got used to the tight focus on following the story and just wanted to continue doing that.

I'd say FFXIII-2, though I enjoyed it a lot, is somewhat less traditional, due to the structure. It doesn't really follow the travel between towns and dungeons structure of most traditional JRPGs.

monstre posted...
Didn't play grace cause I keep reading the story and character were bad.

It's not actually so bad, certainly not drastically worse than other Tales games or anything like that. Though I have issues with the story, it's perfectly serviceable, and though I find Asbel extremely aggravating I think the characters are on the whole a lot better written than Vesperia's, found Hubert and Cheria particularly convincing. And the party's interactions are entertaining. So I'd say it's worth a go at least.
Agreed on Abyss having a great story, it's my favourite in the series. : )
#165PojoTheChickenPosted 2/3/2013 6:13:56 AM
Sweet Home for the NES. Stills holds up now, and has a better story than 96% of what's listed here.
#166hyperknees91Posted 2/3/2013 6:21:49 AM

It's not actually so bad, certainly not drastically worse than other Tales games or anything like that. Though I have issues with the story, it's perfectly serviceable, and though I find Asbel extremely aggravating I think the characters are on the whole a lot better written than Vesperia's, found Hubert and Cheria particularly convincing. And the party's interactions are entertaining. So I'd say it's worth a go at least.
Agreed on Abyss having a great story, it's my favourite in the series. : )

God if only they kicked Asbel out of the game, it would have been 10 x more endearing. The problem with the plot is that it is supremely lacking in depth, which would be fine if it was a short plot but it is longgggg. So there is no excuse for having almost no depth in it (mainly in the villains). Also it takes itself too seriously, which leads it to be unbearable at times.

Thank god for everyone who is not Asbel though as they basically save the game.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#167tigerex777Posted 2/3/2013 6:33:05 AM
Xenoblade
Radiant Historia
Persona 4 Golden

---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#168DragonSamuraiPosted 2/3/2013 12:16:47 PM
PojoTheChicken posted...
Sweet Home for the NES. Stills holds up now, and has a better story than 96% of what's listed here.

Elaborate, you crazy chicken. :3
---
#169MarblesbunbunPosted 2/3/2013 12:18:25 PM
Star Ocean 4 is my favorite of this generation.
I honestly disliked 3.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#170Thanatos2kPosted 2/3/2013 2:48:47 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Star Ocean 4 is my favorite of this generation.
I honestly disliked 3.

Stop recommending bad games!
---
-Thanatos2k-