What's a good jrpg that's not in no kuni.

#71Jezzica7Posted 2/2/2013 2:24:28 PM
Thought I'd also mention the Atelier series (if you really like the alchemy in ni no kuni you might like it) are on the PS3.

And Tales of Symphonia 2. It's my favorite tales game to date.
#72TedCandymanPosted 2/2/2013 2:44:44 PM
Some good RPGs? I'll be the first to admit I've passed on a lot of RPGs this gen. I don't have any of the newer handhelds, which is where a lot of the more interesting looking ones show up. Most of the traditional RPGs just look sooo bad. A bright anime cover with a bunch of teenagers on it is such a red flag to me. It seems I'm not too far in the wrong on that. Also I've just never jived with the "Tales of" games. And that's going back to Tales of Destiny 1 and 2. Just never been into them. If we're just talking this gen, then here are some good ones.

Demon's Souls - Some people prefer it over Dark Souls. It's every bit as good.
Dark Souls - Best game of this generation, if you ask me.
Nier - Hidden gem. It's just got "it".
Dragon's Dogma - It's pretty fun for awhile. It does kinda get old.
Final Fantasy 13 - It's either love or hate on this one. I've got a little story about FF13. Ok. FF13 isn't a bad game. In fact, it's a good game. But at the time I was playing through FF13 I went and picked up FF7. I had only played FF7 all the way through once, a long time ago. So I pretty much experienced both as an adult for the first time, at the same time. FF7 was worlds better than FF13. 13 really hits its' stride AFTER you beat the game. I didn't forget about 13-2. 13-2 will not be recommended by me. Neither will Valkyria Chronicles. I hated that game.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/TedCandyman/games
PSN: SecretSuperstar
#73TCrinaleTPosted 2/2/2013 2:48:43 PM(edited)
Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 2 if you want real games.

I agree with the guy above Dark Souls is extremely good also, probably the game with the biggest replay value I've ever seen.
#74ShadowTwilightPosted 2/2/2013 3:12:46 PM
I don't get the hate for Star Ocean 3 or 4, I love both, and are definetely worth playing (Just got 1 and 2 in the mail so no verdict yet). Same goes for Tales of Vesperia. FFXIII is very good, and XIII-2 is one of the best this gen. Magna Carta 2 certainly is underrated, it's a great game.

If you go back to the ps2, I must first suggest Person 3 and 4. NO MATTER WHAT. Superb games, some of the best ever. Dragon Quest VIII and the .Hack GU (The original four may seem a bit tedious and aren't necessary) games are also near the top for Ps2.

Just the first few off the top of my head...
---
"To this I have said, "Obviously." I can speaking this obviously to have making this.Self-teaching many powerful."-gandob GT:Mysticluminary
#75hyperknees91Posted 2/2/2013 3:17:38 PM
ShadowTwilight posted...
I don't get the hate for Star Ocean 3 or 4, I love both, and are definetely worth playing (Just got 1 and 2 in the mail so no verdict yet). Same goes for Tales of Vesperia. FFXIII is very good, and XIII-2 is one of the best this gen. Magna Carta 2 certainly is underrated, it's a great game.

If you go back to the ps2, I must first suggest Person 3 and 4. NO MATTER WHAT. Superb games, some of the best ever. Dragon Quest VIII and the .Hack GU (The original four may seem a bit tedious and aren't necessary) games are also near the top for Ps2.

Just the first few off the top of my head...

Well SO3 and 4 kinda have lame stories and extremely lame dungeons is the main reason.

Tales of Vesperia kinda is lame for the same reason. Characters are fun but plot is lame, battle system is broken sauce.

XIII- Is kinda a crappy version of XIII-2. If you don't like the story and characters its nearly impossible to enjoy.

.hack//gu is pretty fun, but they kept repeating the same battle arena story which got a little tedious. Also frame rate issues ruin a lot of boss fights (though the battle system is pretty shallow). I did enjoy the first one a lot though.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#76Kou-NurasakaPosted 2/2/2013 3:23:33 PM
SO 4 has a great battle system. If you like action RPG's for the gameplay buy it. The story isn't so much awful as it is just plain undeveloped. Some of the characters are fun (Reimi, Faize, Arumat, Meracle, and Myuria) but two of them are so badly voiced I'm ashamed. Whoever was the VA director for that game had to be drunk when they listened to the dubs for Sarah and Lymle. Otherwise, I do recommend it. It has a good ammount of content (the International version does anyway) and it is worth a playthrough.

Graces f is more or less the better of the two. It's battle system is a bit more restrictive in terms of movement, but it is a great system, and requires you to do more than just mash X on the harder difficulties to win. The story isn't that exceptional however.

If you have a 360, pick up Vesperia. It's better than Graces in terms of storytelling and the combat is plenty fast paced enough.
#77Ness0123456789Posted 2/2/2013 3:25:18 PM
Xenoblade is the only other current gen RPG that competes with Ni No Kuni.

It's arguably even better.

Yeah...No.

Saying anything positive about Xenoblade is an oxymoron. The game was one of the worst, over-hyped, poorly written and Voice Acted, and generally least enjoyable games I played over 2012, and there were a crap ton of stinkers that year.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#78PhoenixWright2Posted 2/2/2013 3:26:10 PM
SkrallRampager posted...
Eternal Sonata was so horrible.... lol

Please don't play it. I have warned you ;P

I'll play it
#79stu300189Posted 2/2/2013 3:45:47 PM
From: Ness0123456789 | Posted: 2/2/2013 10:25:18 PM | #077
Saying anything positive about Xenoblade is an oxymoron. The game was one of the worst, over-hyped, poorly written and Voice Acted, and generally least enjoyable games I played over 2012, and there were a crap ton of stinkers that year.

Dat minority.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/stu300189 | http://www.parablegames.net/
http://i.imgur.com/hu9GJ.png http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ED1B3D3A7C4415B
#80AP3BrainPosted 2/2/2013 3:48:18 PM
SO4 has pretty bad characters but does everything else well.

SO3 is more enjoyable and a classic. One of the few RPGs I poured a lot of hours into.