Really starting to get frustrated with this games capture rate.

#31ZEOPOWER6Posted 2/6/2013 10:52:18 PM
Isn't the capture rate basically on a per-battle basis? It's not really like "Oh, here, you'll get this eventually after 10~ kills" because of the percentage, but rather each time you fight them, there's a small chance of getting them.
#32KiraYamatoDaManPosted 2/6/2013 10:54:36 PM
Isn't the capture rate basically on a per-battle basis? It's not really like "Oh, here, you'll get this eventually after 10~ kills" because of the percentage, but rather each time you fight them, there's a small chance of getting them.

It is. Most kids in grade schools always make the error of assuming that a 5% chance means that 5 in 100 people are definitely getting something when it isn't in reality.
---
Currently playing : Monster Hunter 3G ~PSN: AppleDough
#33Lord BladePosted 2/6/2013 10:57:43 PM
I am a little annoyed with the sheer randomness of taming familiars. I would much prefer a system where the player had some control over it.
---
Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome? - krazy168
The politically correct term is "casual gamer" - wubikens
#34chakramstrikePosted 2/6/2013 11:03:35 PM
I know it might not help much...but when you see the creature you want to capture...go to you party leader...and only do this if you are high enough in levels, but switch all the characters to do nothing and control whoever can kill the nonessential creatures faster, once they are down switch to Esther and use attack on the creature until it gives you hearts. Then capture it. Ive caught about 40 something creatures this way...toko being one of them. Hope this helps some. I know its tedious but it works...and helps you level grind too.
---
GTs: 360 - Chakramstrike; PS3 - yunalesca26
#35gameoverjcPosted 2/6/2013 11:13:12 PM
Glamador posted...
I did a little checking to see how much time it took me to get certain critters...

In 66 Tokotoko kills I managed to get 3 of them to pop their hearts. They are supposed to have a 1.6% capture rate, IIRC.

In 94 Auroralynx I have gotten 3 to pop their hearts (my first was callously killed by a wayward AOE spell...). They are supposed to have a 6% chance to capture.

100 is NOT a small sample size. And 3.2% is nowhere even close to 6%. Nor is 4.5% anywhere close to 1.6%. My conclusion? This game's RNG is rubbish. Now, as I am a statistician and I could do more complex checking to see about margins of error and variance it really isn't necessary when the %s are off by that much. The RNG is just bad.

I'm sorry I will have to respectfully disagree - 100 is a TINY sample size. Any mathematician or statistician will verify. Even research scientists. You are just noticing variance. If we added everyone's total capture rate for one animal (with some people having high attempts/low catches vs low attempts/high catches) I'm sure it would be closer to the percentage listed.

100,000 is a decent sample size.
#36AceviperPosted 2/6/2013 11:13:16 PM
chakramstrike posted...
I know it might not help much...but when you see the creature you want to capture...go to you party leader...and only do this if you are high enough in levels, but switch all the characters to do nothing and control whoever can kill the nonessential creatures faster, once they are down switch to Esther and use attack on the creature until it gives you hearts. Then capture it. Ive caught about 40 something creatures this way...toko being one of them. Hope this helps some. I know its tedious but it works...and helps you level grind too.

there is no point in doing this

it doesn't matter who kills or how they kill

it will be the same chance
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#37the_requiemPosted 2/7/2013 12:33:55 AM
Toko: ZERO in 15 tries. Got couple fams to their max level to morph to Tier 2.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Unfinished Swan
#38SkrallRampagerPosted 2/7/2013 12:39:42 AM
I just want a gold Teeny Bopper.... but nooooooooooooooooooo.....
#39KukaiDragonPosted 2/7/2013 4:54:10 AM
Everyone will have their own familiars that took a long time to get.

For me: Shonkey Honker has my record at 37 kills before getting hearts.

I'm sure it will be beaten. I'm just reaching Hamelin.