Trying to get my girlfriend into jRPGs

#1berlindubPosted 2/3/2013 4:23:40 AM
Is this a good entry point? her gaming history is basically platformers like: Little big planet, trine 1 &2, journey. I,d cool to play this together.
#2PaulkotsuPosted 2/3/2013 4:25:32 AM
she'd get wrecked, but sure
---
"Cemith's dick is a tyrant"
#3LucytenshiPosted 2/3/2013 4:27:37 AM
I'm not saying this as trolling or w/e but honestly when I was getting my now wife into JRPGs the game she first played was FFXIII (Final Fantasy 13)

To this day the only games she has ever completed and loves are Angry birds, plants vs Zomies, Final Fantasy 13 and Final Fantasy 13-2

I would recommend starting there and if you figure out how to move her towards more classic JRPG like this, let me know
---
If youre committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.Saul
#4badboyPosted 2/3/2013 4:32:50 AM
The battle system can be difficult later on for a casual. I suggest getting some PS1 Classic instead.
#5LucytenshiPosted 2/3/2013 4:39:35 AM
badboy posted...
The battle system can be difficult later on for a casual. I suggest getting some PS1 Classic instead.

Some people can be so thickle and even tho it is a classic to us it would just look old with terrible graphics to her most likely.

Honestly Final Fantasy 13

Easy battle system: Check (hit x for auto battle)
Beautiful graphics: Check
No risk of getting lost due to linear paths: Check
Strong Female character: Check (Lightning)

It is a perfect choice and worked for me :P
---
If youre committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.Saul
#6JobClassPosted 2/3/2013 4:41:49 AM
Paulkotsu posted...
she'd get wrecked, but sure

This is a good point. if she is used to bashing things up, I'm sure you know tese arn't te games for her. However, if she loves strategizing, learning and utilizing different things at different times, as well as a whole lot of intricate battle systems then why not?

The best games are te least complicated. Try tales of Graces since teir is a 'just bash away" element to that. However if you really want to guide her smoothly into the genre some good games are the oldest. Pokemon and final Fantasy will let her get used to te fact tat you have to starategize without being pressured (Since the original FF has a turn-based battle system)

Pokemon is good too. in fact it's the most recomended. you don't have to utilize berries and hold items or even pay attention to stats in that game since its child friendly as well as fun at te same time.

When she's ready to take the next step, try (like someone else said) FF13. Why? because of the introduction of te ATB gauge, Active time battle and strategy. Above all, it introduces the "Tank" character and she'll learn ow important the tank can be A sentinel, they call it. Also, the game relies heavily on Buffs and Debuffs in order to 5 star so yeah. She'll learn all about that as well.

Above all, she will have to be patient, and a perfectionist, in order to truly enjoy these games.
---
"I bestow upon you the gift of life! Rejuvenate!"
#7JobClassPosted 2/3/2013 4:46:47 AM
And please ignore my terrible spelling. The "H" on my keyboard is acting up.
---
"I bestow upon you the gift of life! Rejuvenate!"
#8badboyPosted 2/3/2013 4:48:34 AM(edited)
Lucytenshi posted...
badboy posted...

Some people can be so thickle and even tho it is a classic to us it would just look old with terrible graphics to her most likely.

Final Fantasy 13 isn't easy either. Have you finished it? It becomes difficult from chapter 11 onwards. I know a lot of people who were stuck at certain bosses that they couldn't beat, and they're not new to RPGs. But 13-2 is very easy.
#9LucytenshiPosted 2/3/2013 4:52:23 AM
badboy posted...
Lucytenshi posted...
badboy posted...

Final Fantasy 13 isn't easy either. Have you finished it? It becomes difficult from chapter 11 onwards. I know a lot of people who were stuck at certain bosses that they couldn't beat, and they're not new to RPGs. But 13-2 is very easy.

My wife and I have beaten both 13 and 13-2 she beat them by herself and it is her first EVER real game, before that it was just angry birds.

Yes I had to talk her through some things AND I would set up her party formations tell her which was for what.

Example I would set up 2 healers and a tank and tell her this is when you are gonna die, 1 comanndo and a ravager this is for building up the break gauge.

She got used to it very quickly and with me setting things up before battles she could win them alone very easily.

When I completed it alone I hated that game but when I played it with my wife suddenly it was fun setting things up for her watching her beat bosses she thought was tough I really think it was supposed to be a game for people just starting RPGs
---
#10ArsenicSteelPosted 2/3/2013 4:57:59 AM
You should just be concerned with trying to get into your girlfriend.
---
A heretic among heretics.