What are your favorite JRPGS of this generation?

#1JirynPosted 2/3/2013 6:06:38 AM
So many people are tossing around the "Revival of JRPGs" bs when the genre has been around, just not it's strongest. There have been many crap games coming out on all systems and just weren't were the time or effort to play (Hyper Dimensia Neptunia, Trinity Universe.. etc)
So what were your favorite JRPGS this generation? For the sake of arguement, I'm going to please ask we keep SRPGS out of the conversation.

#1. Star Ocean Last Hope
It was the first game I ever 100% on the 360, and am playing through the special edition on the PS3. Something about this game, the graphics, the characters, the game play worked on every level for me.

#2. XenoBlade
I waited for years for this game and was not disappointed.. it's.. MASSIVE.

#3. Lost Odyssey
I felt this game was the true heir to the Final Fantasy throne, and is what FF12 and 13 should have been.

#4. Tales of Vesperia
The FIRST Tales game I loved, before this I played Legendia and.. that game almost ruined the series for me

#5. Blue Dragon
Quirky, fun little game. Loved the combat and gameplay, job system was quite fun to play around with and the mix and match abilities.

With this list, I would like to point out I did not place Ni No Kuni on there since I am still working through it, but it is definitely in the top three and probably the #3 spot. Also, I do own every RPG released from the PS2 onward, many sadly I've not gotten around to open and play yet due to IRL stress/problems. (I did not buy any SRPGS though)
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2Mason9127Posted 2/3/2013 6:13:09 AM
Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII and Rogue Galaxy although technically they're all last gen. Dragon Quest IX on the DS is my favourite DS game, don't know if that counts as this gen.

This game is by far my favourite current gen JRPG, I like the story in FFXIII but the gameplay is just terrible and XIII-2 can just leave.
#3Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 6:31:18 AM
Mason9127 posted...
Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII and Rogue Galaxy although technically they're all last gen. Dragon Quest IX on the DS is my favourite DS game, don't know if that counts as this gen.

This game is by far my favourite current gen JRPG, I like the story in FFXIII but the gameplay is just terrible and XIII-2 can just leave.

That's what I was wondering as well.
I also feel DQ9 and NNK have alot of the same combat and quest principles and systems.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#4badboyPosted 2/3/2013 7:00:07 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-/65247083
#5kanartPosted 2/3/2013 7:11:26 AM(edited)
#1. Resonance of Fate
#2. Valkyria Chronicles
#3. Disgaea 4
#4. Final Fantasy XIII
#5. Final Fantasy XIII-2
#6. Tales of Graces F
#7. Ni no Kuni (now playing, can go up)
#8. Atelier Totori
#9. Atelier Meruru
#10. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
#6CloudSith5060Posted 2/3/2013 7:18:55 AM
1. Eternal Sonata
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
3. Valkyria Chronicles
4. Ni no Kuni
5. FF4: The After Years
---
Do you... want my carrots?
#7LLL_DeadlyPosted 2/3/2013 7:27:46 AM
Tales of Vesperia (PS3)
Danball Senki W
Xenoblade
Tales of Xillia 2
Fire Emblem: Kakusei (played the JP version)

Ni no Kuni is probably in my Top 10 though...it's my 2nd favorite Level-5 game this gen.
---
Wind Waker is one of the greatest games ever made. Hoping the HD Remake does it justice.
#8IdTheDestroyerPosted 2/3/2013 7:51:27 AM
1.Ni No Kuni
2.Xenoblade
3.Lost Odyssey
4.Blue Dragon
5.FF 13 series

That's my rankings from the ones I've gotten around to finishing.
---
XBL:IdTheDestroyer8 PSN:IdTheDestroyer
#9LeanaunfurledPosted 2/3/2013 8:25:11 AM(edited)
Xenoblade
Final Fantasy XIII
Tales of Graces f
Birth by Sleep
KH 3D

I still need to play a lot of them. Atelier, Eternal Sonata, XIII-2 (I heard it's even better except for the ending), Last Story, Pandora's Story, Fire Emblem Awakening, Star Ocean 4.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#10xdividebyzeroxPosted 2/3/2013 8:06:26 AM
#1 - Xenoblade Chronicles
#2 - Persona 4: Golden
#3 - Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#4 - Radiant Historia
#5 - Demon's/Dark Souls
#6 - The World Ends With You
#7 - Tales of Vesperia
#8 - The Last Story
#9 - Lost Odyssey
#10 - Final Fantasy Type-0