How-To-Tutorial:Steal rarest items with 100% chance / Scroll of Truth, etc.

#81CeraTopzPosted 4/4/2013 9:00:54 AMmessage detail
Thanks for this tip! Those Scrolls of Truth are giving me a hard time
#82Oatmeal_BonanzaPosted 4/11/2013 4:09:17 PMmessage detail
Never seen Swaine's Golden Glim move before... Whoops!

Clawing my eyes out in Miasma Marsh trying to farm *-Goblins... What a joke!
#83ramza321Posted 4/14/2013 12:49:48 AMmessage detail
Awesome!
---
The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.
#84SulfurMonkeyPosted 5/27/2013 4:34:37 PMmessage detail
For the scrolls, just wait until golden honkey casts Love-Struck and then steal. Got the scroll EVERY time doing this.
---
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
#85lm009Posted 6/2/2013 10:43:49 AMmessage detail
this is a cool method but if u weigh the 100% chance vs time required, it is not worth it. just pulse to try for gold glim if u get it great use swaine's miracle move, if u don't just mugshot and hope for the best. didn't get it? move on, the defending for gold glims is wayyy too slow, i defended for about half an hr didnt get a single gold glim. got 5 scrolls in an hr using good-ol-mugshot.
#86ZeroSignal620Posted 6/2/2013 1:33:55 PMmessage detail
I tried this for 20+ minutes with Bedraggles and got nothing. Then I said **** it and just used Mugshot and bam, instant Kaleidostone. Then I was awarded another K stone when the battle ended.

Guess it varies from person to person
---
http://zerosignal620.wordpress.com/
The photograph reflects, every streetlight a reminder; nightswimming deserves a quiet night
#87poolmav2007Posted 6/9/2013 5:47:53 PMmessage detail
This does work, but it's a lot quicker to just use Mug Shot. I got 5 scrolls in about 1.5 hours of play that way.

The same goes for Kaleidoscopes. Actually I collected them so fast that I collect two additional ones without realizing it. It took less than an hour to collect 5. I already had 2 from that one quest, so maybe that is way I overcounted.
---
---
Cheers! Arc the Lad 2 is still my No. 1.
#88lostkiwiPosted 6/11/2013 5:03:43 PMmessage detail
Okay, for anyone still after the Scroll of Truths, I tried the TC's method last night, but (as pointed out by other posters) there is a much better way in my opinion.

The problem is that, although the method the TC quoted does give 100% change for a Scroll of Truth, to get gold glims from defense is very rare. You could be waiting for 30 minutes in a single battle to get one, and that would be for one single scroll of truth.

The better strategy is to try and force out a gold glim, and the best way to do this is to use Oliver's Pulse Spell.

Here's the basic premises

- As soon as you enter a battle with a gold Honkey Tonk, set the party to All out Defense (Square). You will need to continue to do this one it expires, otherwise your party will start killing the mobs.

- With Oliver, start casting Pulse on all enemies other than the Gold Honkey Tonk. Pulse will always generate a 'neat' reaction, and has a decent chance to force out a gold glim. You'll get about 4 casts before killing all enemies other than the Honkey Tonk.

- If a gold gilm hasn't dropped then start casting Pulse on the Honkey Tonk. You'll get about another 6 chances before you kill him. However, stop casting pulse when his health is almost gone, since we don't want to kill him just yet.

- If after that a gold glim hasn't appeared, swap to Swaine and cast Mugshot, and try your luck at the 20% chance of stealing the Scroll of Truth.

If a gold Glim does ever drop, you want to pick it up with Swaine. Note though, that often I swap to the nearest party member to it and move them away, since otherwise they can steal it before you have a chance to pick it up. Once you've picked it up with Swaine, use his special ability to steal the Scroll of Truth from the Gold Honkey Tonk.

Using this method you'll get around 1 scroll of truth for every 2 honkey tonks you face. The TC's method is more reliable, but it takes much longer in the long run since you'll spend 20+ minutes on a single battle waiting for a gold glim, where as this method you'll cycle through the battles in a couple of minutes.

I got 6 scrolls of truth last night in ~90 minutes. (I ended up with 1 more extra than I needed), with the majority of that time being me actually trying to find the rare Golden Honkey Tonks.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#89Chosen1OnePosted 6/28/2013 10:05:43 PMmessage detail
Good grief. I've been using Oliver's weakest wand/Pulse/All-Out-Defense method. I started off in Glittering Grotto fighting Gold Bedraggles (which spawn waaay more often than Gold Honky Tonkers) to get Kaleidostones and, in about an hours time, I only got 1 gold glim to drop. I got the rest of the K'stones I needed w Mugshot.

I've been running around the dark cave in Tombstone Trail for the better part of 2 hours and I've fought 3 Gold Honky Tonkers. No Scrolls of Truth for me. Will continue and hopefully having better luck with spawning and stealing
#90ShadowGandalfPosted 8/7/2013 5:22:25 PMmessage detail
This is a good tactic in theory, but the trouble is, I'm never getting any gold glims. I've sat there defending for around 15 mins, but all I ever get is blue/green glims. I must have lousy luck.