I wish this game wasn't so childish.

#1SedatedPosted 2/4/2013 1:00:37 PM
I bought this game for my girlfriend because she's a studio ghibli fan and we've been playing it together. At first I was really impressed with the game, the graphics are top notch and you can tell a lot of effort was put into the game. The story seemed lighthearted and for all ages but entertaining... that's where I was wrong though.

After awhile the story has become like nails scratching my brain. Oliver is just too much, the constant "Neato!" tone becomes too much to bear, most the supporting cast isn't much better.

Drippy who seems to be the most constant source of breaking up the "Neato, Yippy, We can do it!" pacing of the story quickly fell into the same rut with less and less instances of him being snippy or sarcastic.

The dialogue is also very oftenly over explained to the point where they repeat the premise 3 times in a row. The guy who gives you the trials even kinda pokes some fun at it while still basically doing it.

My girlfriend doesn't mind it as much and she really likes the game but even she has started to notice it more and more.

Combat is a mixed bag too, at first it's great but once you get more people the AI just becomes a liability and stands in all the wrong places.

I hope the game picks back up and the story becomes a little less of Oliver just running around say "Yes, Sir!" to everyone he comes into contact with.

I get why people are so into this game, especially since it's a RPG and those are hard to come by these days. The story being so childish is really holding it back though and all in all I feel like this game is being over rated just because it's a recent fairly traditional RPG that has a lot of quality elements but all in all doesn't add up to the fanfare and reviews it's been receiving.

Thoughts/Opinions/assurance that it becomes better?
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#2stephanieisitPosted 2/4/2013 1:02:53 PM
People always complain about the AI when they first get it, but it improves pretty quickly once you've got decent familiars and equipment and you figure out how to properly utilise your party. I very rarely throw my controller at the screen any more.
#3tr0tsky_basicPosted 2/4/2013 1:07:26 PM
I wish there was an option to get rid of a lot of the hand-holding. Drippy popping in every single boss battle to tell me that I had better defend against a big attack gets old really fast.

Also, constantly explaining out in minute detail how to beat every single puzzle/quest.
---
GT: trotsky0
#4Sedated(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 1:08:06 PM
stephanieisit posted...
People always complain about the AI when they first get it, but it improves pretty quickly once you've got decent familiars and equipment and you figure out how to properly utilise your party. I very rarely throw my controller at the screen any more.

It's not bothering me really, I haven't died once I don't believe. The girlfriend has died maybe once or twice. I find it very easy to exploit the AI so if my AI allies die I can easily solo the boss myself. Things may change but at the moment it just seems a bit flawed. That's not to say the combat is bad, just it clearly has a bit of a problem:

Too hard for your AI companions while also being too easy for a human controlled player.

Hope that makes sense.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
#5Sedated(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 1:09:49 PM
tr0tsky_basic posted...
I wish there was an option to get rid of a lot of the hand-holding. Drippy popping in every single boss battle to tell me that I had better defend against a big attack gets old really fast.

Also, constantly explaining out in minute detail how to beat every single puzzle/quest.

This is another valid gripe. My girlfriend actually complained about the tutorials long before I did. I shrugged her off and said "At least they're semi spaced out and I'm sure they'll be over with soon"

I seem to have been wrong though. It feels like the game is always managing to come up with something it feels the need to explain to you in GREAT (Also repeitive) detail.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
#6XdieXPosted 2/4/2013 1:13:32 PM
You obliviously don't know Ghibli works very well then do you... The story is great there are of course more lighter parts since it is a kid but there are some good darker parts as well in this game. Words don't really bother me so hearing 'neato' doesn't make me cry and moan. And is your gf code word for you? You guys need to stop with the whole its so childish complaints. Look beyond that and you will find that this game is truly amazing adventure and well written story. I bet you watch Spongebob or some other "children show" don't you. Do you feel that's to childish?
---
PSN: I_HATE_EVERYONE1
http://youtu.be/tNW3ItQOd7c <--- haha
#7tr0tsky_basicPosted 2/4/2013 1:17:13 PM
I have no problem with the story, characters, dialogue, etc being childish. I just wish that the gameplay wasn't.
---
GT: trotsky0
#8dudeitscoolPosted 2/4/2013 1:18:17 PM
This is like saying that Shrek was childish. There are plenty of parts that are above a child's intelligence or grasp of understanding. Just pay attention.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#9FishermanFriendPosted 2/4/2013 1:19:35 PM(edited)
Ya the game is far too happy go lucky.

Oliver is always optimistic and up for the challenge. Every task is easily completed by Oliver with out much issue. There is almost no conflict in the game at all. There's only two real instances of conflict and that's the start when his mom dies (which he gets over unrealistically easily) and one time near the end of the game which also is resolved in mere minutes.
#10Sedated(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 1:23:49 PM
XdieX posted...
You obliviously don't know Ghibli works very well then do you... The story is great there are of course more lighter parts since it is a kid but there are some good darker parts as well in this game. Words don't really bother me so hearing 'neato' doesn't make me cry and moan. And is your gf code word for you? You guys need to stop with the whole its so childish complaints. Look beyond that and you will find that this game is truly amazing adventure and well written story. I bet you watch Spongebob or some other "children show" don't you. Do you feel that's to childish?

err... what? Why would I use girlfriend as code for me? I don't follow what my reasoning would be...

Also spongebog (While I'm not personally a fan) is much more all ages than this games story. It's also kinda ironic you say words don't bother you but we're talking about the games story.. so how can words not potentially bother you unless you simply don't care at all about a games story which would leave you have no real place to take part in discussions about story..

If people feel the need to complain it's their right. If people complain the large majority are complaining because they really enjoy a lot of aspects of this game and wish the story didn't have to hold it back by being so childish. We all paid our 60 dollars, if some of us aren't totally happy and want to vent/discuss/see what others think that's their right.

Lastly, Studio Ghiblis actual movies from the ones I've seen do match this games story for the most part BUT I think the key thing to realize with this: Movies are 90 minutes, this game is 50+ hours and it seems like that wasn't taken into account.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...