I wish this game wasn't so childish.

#61aDRE8Posted 2/4/2013 9:52:30 PM
I completely agree with the TC. I can't stand extreme loyalist gamers who'll turn the subject and put the blame on us....As a hardcore gamer for the past 26 years, I'll admit to flaws in a video game, no matter how much I'm enjoying it or love a specific franchise or genre.

It is a childish game. Someone mentioned games like Super Mario RPG and Earthbound (both of which are in my top 5 favorite games of all time). But those games had certain humor and feel that appealed to adults. Even when playing those games today, it's not the nostalgia that makes me say this, but the level of challenge, the lack of "hand-holding" and characters felt more appealing to more experienced and older gamers.

I am enjoying this game, almost 40 hours in and I'm reaching the very end...but the story is just bad IMO, the hand holding is insulting to JRPG fans and gamers, and Mr. Drippy is very, very, very, very, very annoying. Honestly, every time time I have to read a irrelevant story about taking heart and giving heart, then I had to scroll through a couple menus over and over again. It got really annoying after the first few hours.

That being said, it's a fantastic game that needed to come out. The art style, the music, the world map, the overall feel of the game itself is top notch, but those flaws really ruin the experience for me.
#62DDR MidianPosted 2/5/2013 1:22:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#63Sedated(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:44:22 AM
MidgardDragon99 posted...
ITT: A TC who doesn't know what the word "childish" means and thinks a kid acting like a kid is "childish".

A kid acting like a kid? Do you have children? Have you ever in your life come in contact with a child? I have NEVER met a kid who acts like Oliver. No kid is that proper and respectful to EVERYONE he comes into contact with, not to mention completely one dimensional. Kids are childish, selfish, moody, irresponsible and unreliable. If this was a kid acting like a kid he'd be bawling his eyes out over his Mommy and taking his frustrations out on insects.

He would NOT be running around in capris saying Sir to everyone and wearing a crap eating grin each time someone asks him to do a often pointless task.

You're going to be in for a world of hurt when you grow up and have a child. Hopefully you manage to come in contact with some before then.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#64Sedated(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:55:39 AM(edited)
This topic turned rather sad rather quickly.

ITT: I see mostly reasonable people who seem to like a lot of the game but wish the characters had more diversity and weren't so one dimensional.

Then I see people who want to disagree like their life depends on it and who make up things people said to try to justify their arguments in their own head.

One dimensional: Breaking this mold does NOT mean Oliver has to be moody, have a giant sword, or curse.

It means he just needs to have more personality then just doing/saying the same thing over and over again. Normal/real people are not like this. It doesn't even mean he needs to go through a major change over the course of the game. It means he could just start out having a shred of personality beyond "Thank you, Sir! Might I have another? :)'

There's lots of other ridiculous things people said in here but I'll leave it at this.

Another big problem is this game as a whole is rather devoid of humor. The best thing it has going for it in that regard is it's constant puns which while they're pretty entertaining you shouldn't really carry comic relief on the shoulder of nothing more than puns over the course of 50+ hours.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#65KarsticlesPosted 2/5/2013 7:53:13 AM
Another big problem is this game as a whole is rather devoid of humor.

I can't take you seriously after saying this.
---
My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
#66TaizukuPosted 2/5/2013 8:15:52 AM
Karsticles posted...
Another big problem is this game as a whole is rather devoid of humor.

I can't take you seriously after saying this.

Karst, you're usually cool, but you're being a bit of a douche. You're being hostile and argumentative for no reason. Humor is subjective. He might not find Drippy's insults funny, he might not have liked the Fairyground. That doesn't mean we need to crucify the dude.

I WAS going to start posting here a lot, but if this is what's going to happen when someone gives an opinion on a game then this community isn't worth joining. I'll stick around for a bit, hopefully there's not so much attitude in other threads.

This topic is a prime example of why people think Gamefaqs sucks.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCgle29Es4
#67liamx2000Posted 2/5/2013 8:19:21 AM
this game isn't the least bit childish to me , I feel sorry for people that think they are too grown up for things.
#68TaizukuPosted 2/5/2013 8:22:38 AM
liamx2000 posted...
this game isn't the least bit childish to me , I feel sorry for people that think they are too grown up for things.

Really it isn't? What with the hand holding, silly quests, goofiness, ease of access, humor, character design, and the way the characters behave. This game is ridiculously childish, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCgle29Es4
#69TCrinaleTPosted 2/5/2013 8:29:53 AM
He might not find Drippy's insults funny, he might not have liked the Fairyground.

Which is fine and respectable, but he goes a bit too far when he questions the whole game because of these little things. I may dislike the crappy red wizard cape Oliver wears but I'm not superficial enough to label the game as "overrated" because of it.

That doesn't mean we need to crucify the dude.

No one's crucifying no one here, in fact, I've read most replies and they were quite diplomatic. You really need to grow your skin thicker over people defending the games they like, it's normal, really.

This topic is a prime example of why people think Gamefaqs sucks.

You are being a bit too dramatic here... we are on the internet, it's not like you are dealing with nuns.
#70Lonewolf_80Posted 2/5/2013 8:31:32 AM
Zero complaints here, one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years and to the people who thinks the game is childish that is just such a negative slant on the game and utter drivel that people think so!
---
PSN ID: NeoXenosyde
I play nearly all genre's so add me if you want!!!