Is it just me or is Ruffian a REALLY BAD familiar?

#1SHMYazooPosted 2/4/2013 4:41:50 PM
He's the highest leveled familiar in my party because I want to evolve him (level 22 right now) but seriously, he takes TOO MUCH damage and can't deal damage for the life of me... What's wrong with him? Are his evolutions better or is he just crap in all situations?

Hmm just checked that the original is Ruff, not Ruffian so what I have in my party is the evolution. Either way, he's SO. BAD.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#2xhanPosted 2/4/2013 4:52:08 PM
yes - tbh most (not all) of the beasts are terribad. Physical attackers with low defense are really useless except if you outnumber the enemies and manually control them. I only keep 1 "all-in" (currently a flaming hellboar) familiar in my reserve for boss battles and only switch it in when the boss is stunned/in "Chance" mode
#3SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 4:56:00 PM
xhan posted...
yes - tbh most (not all) of the beasts are terribad. Physical attackers with low defense are really useless except if you outnumber the enemies and manually control them. I only keep 1 "all-in" (currently a flaming hellboar) familiar in my reserve for boss battles and only switch it in when the boss is stunned/in "Chance" mode

What's the name of that one you get early in the game, the monkey one, I think he's pretty good still, but damn, this Ruffian just seems specially bad... I don't play around with too many beast types though so I don't know if I would agree with you or not.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#4gohoanqPosted 2/4/2013 5:00:16 PM
I tried keeping my golden hurly(fully meta...whatevered) and my rhinosaur(same) but like 5 hours ago(game time) I gave up on them... they were just. so. damn. weak. lol I replaced 1 with a toko, and just added a sasquish ... I really hope the sasquish doesn't suck. lol I've basically gotten through the entire game using my mite(3rd form now) and oliver. I'm not sure why the hell everything is so incredibly weak when YOU get them, while they kick you all over the place as enemies. -_-
---
---
My 3DS FC is 2277 - 8061 - 3461. I'll add anyone so please feel free to let me know if you want to be added. :)
#5archizzyPosted 2/4/2013 5:10:44 PM
gohoanq posted...
I tried keeping my golden hurly(fully meta...whatevered) and my rhinosaur(same) but like 5 hours ago(game time) I gave up on them... they were just. so. damn. weak. lol I replaced 1 with a toko, and just added a sasquish ... I really hope the sasquish doesn't suck. lol I've basically gotten through the entire game using my mite(3rd form now) and oliver. I'm not sure why the hell everything is so incredibly weak when YOU get them, while they kick you all over the place as enemies. -_-
---

I know this board is really high on Toko but outside of the experience gain you get from beating him I think he is a weak party member. Sure he has evasion through the roof and great magical defense but if anyone sneezes on him physically he will go down.

I just don't see Toko being a viable option but that is just me.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#6gohoanqPosted 2/4/2013 5:16:56 PM
archizzy posted...
gohoanq posted...
---

I know this board is really high on Toko but outside of the experience gain you get from beating him I think he is a weak party member. Sure he has evasion through the roof and great magical defense but if anyone sneezes on him physically he will go down.

I just don't see Toko being a viable option but that is just me.

LOL well.. there goes another party member... I swear I can't find any familiars that work for me.. I don't know what to do, I want to use them but it's like every single one except for mite sucks.
---
---
My 3DS FC is 2277 - 8061 - 3461. I'll add anyone so please feel free to let me know if you want to be added. :)
#7EgHeadFoolPosted 2/4/2013 5:21:10 PM(edited)
I'm using my gold Tokotocold. Yes he has low physical defense... so now he's unusable? Despite being basically unhittable by normal physical moves, huge magic resistance, and pretty respectable magical offense and spells. I love him. It's just not going to tank every attack in the game. I guess people use Catastroceros for a while and forget that strategy used to matter, like if an AOE physical attack is coming you're supposed to actually use Evade (which is superior to Defend if you can time it right, and for moves that trigger really fast it's impossible to time wrong), OR swap out to another familiar.
#8DarcKagePosted 2/4/2013 5:22:23 PM
There's plenty of good familiars out there.

And Mite is actually pretty mediocre.
---
Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles, League of Legends, Dota 2, Dark Souls
Waiting for: Ni no Kuni, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening
#9SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:25:20 PM
You know which familiar surprised me? The one that looks like a Baloon. He has SOO MUCH defense and Magical Defense and high Magical attack and he can actually Defend, which is awesome. His gust attacks are great as well. Very good familiar, I wasn't expecting to be using him so much.
---
#10EgHeadFoolPosted 2/4/2013 5:27:17 PM
SHMYazoo posted...
You know which familiar surprised me? The one that looks like a Baloon. He has SOO MUCH defense and Magical Defense and high Magical attack and he can actually Defend, which is awesome. His gust attacks are great as well. Very good familiar, I wasn't expecting to be using him so much.

Yeah he's pretty respectable. I just wish he wasn't so ugly.