New(ish) to RPGs and had some questions

#1DfxPosted 2/4/2013 3:55:13 PM
I've never really played many RPGs (at least not since Faxanadu on NES [I was really young and kept dying at those bouncing eyeballs).. I guess since then I've sort of avoided them but really became interested in the idea of this game so I got the demo..

So far, it seems like a lot of battling will be taking place and I haven't found a rhythm that works and keeps the fighting interesting.. At first I thought it was turn based but now it seems like things are just on a cool-down so, again, still getting used to it.

Questions :

Is the demo a fair representation of what I can expect in the game? Fighting up towards the top of that mountain just started to become tedious when faced with all these battles in which I could just one-shot most of the creatures.

The 'boss' fight at the top of the mountain was pretty interesting and seemed to allow much more freedom in fighting. Is that exclusive to boss fights or are most fights like that?

Can I expect that in order to accomplish most tasks I'll have to do a lot of random fighting between points A to B?

Are there any sorts of puzzles in the game or is it mostly battling/grinding/collection quests?

Lots of the reviews make the game seem pretty interesting but if the demo is a balanced representation of the game then I'm afraid of it becoming a bit stale after awhile.

Any help?
---
Children in the back seat cause accidents...... Aaannnd vice versa..
#2SHMYazooPosted 2/4/2013 4:03:53 PM
That mountain part of the demo was oddly done, because they gave you some PRETTY powerful familiars that you wouldn't have access or wouldn't be able to have at those levels at that point in time, so it's much easier than what it should. Having said that, like all JRPGs you can either struggle, have no trouble or 1 shot enemies, depending on how much you like to grind (killing monsters repeatedly for exp, to level up your characters). If you play it normally, you'll find yourself with some very challenging enemy set-ups now and then, but it gets easier as long as you keep leveling up.

Bosses require a little more strategy and attention, specially earlier in the game when you don't have access to full party defense and all that stuff. You have to pay attention where you're moving and managing your mana and life and etc.

I don't think there's any point in the game where you HAVE to stop and grind, but you'll find lots of enemies to fight in your path, even though you can try to skip some.

There are some puzzles, but they're not hard at all.

Other than the difficulty (which is easier in the 2nd half of the demo because of what I mentioned before), you can expect a lot of walking around the overworld, like you do in the first part of the demo, and lots of battling like you do in the second half of the demo, so if you didn't like that, chances are you won't like the full game as well.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#3find no fan tar seaPosted 2/4/2013 4:23:52 PM
Dfx, the demo doesn't do justice for the game. It's a hot mess.

I highly recommend that you go out and rent the game and try it out. It's a bit slow in the beginning but after the first town, you'll be hooked!~
---
IF you like JRPG or Pokemon, go do youself a favor and play Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#4shadowsfmPosted 2/4/2013 5:08:18 PM
the big difference between the demo and the full game is that unlike the demo, the game really doesn't have all that many narrow paths. you cant catch familiars in the demo, and the game gets really good when you unlock faster modes of travel half way through
#5Dfx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:04:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Are you able to catch anything you fight in the game (apart from bosses) or are familiars something specific?
---
#6buddhafiedPosted 2/4/2013 6:12:22 PM
Dfx posted...
Thanks for the replies.

Are you able to catch anything you fight in the game (apart from bosses) or are familiars something specific?

You are able to capture familiar around 8-10 hours into the game (I took my time with the story, so it could be faster for some) and evolve them. The system is a little similar to Pokémon in that sense and many of us wants to try to collect all.
---
~ Saving the world one video game at a time
Playing: FFXII; Ni no Kuni; eagerly waiting for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn
#7BIackWaltzPosted 2/4/2013 6:13:04 PM
Besides the bosses and some bounty hunts, all enemies are tamable. Some are the familiars evolved form. I reccomend only catching the lowest ones and leveling them on your own. They'll end up stronger.

And I must say, it is great to see someone who has played Faxanadu. Loved that game. When i read your topic title I figured you were really young. I got to do a playthrough of that soon.
---
- The BIack Waltz
#8SriVastraPosted 2/4/2013 6:14:17 PM
Dfx posted...
Thanks for the replies.

With the exception of bosses and bounty hunt targets, every monster you fight is tameable.
#9shadowsfmPosted 2/4/2013 6:20:30 PM
fax is one hard game
#10Dfx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:23:41 PM
Remember your Mantra ;)
---