is it better to grind with toko or tokotoko?

#11jackstar_rockPosted 2/5/2013 2:41:38 AM(edited)
I dunno. I used the Gateway method at the top of Perdida, and I could check 5 spawn points, yet I only get one tokotoko in 10~15 minutes. When I switched to moving up and down the path to check all possible spawns, I get at least 1 tokotoko per run - which is usually a minute or so. At times I can go 3 trips without a single spawn, but there is a 1 in 4 chance that I get 2 tokotoko spawns, so that evens up the odds to getting at least 1 in 2 trips.

The RNG is definitely messing around with our heads. :p
#12chakramstrikePosted 2/5/2013 3:03:44 AM
Tokos net you 2000 exp. Tokotokos net you 8000...if you are early in the game after you are done at hamelin you can sail to ugly duck island and grind there the mites lemures and sprites with the occaisional toko appearance to get exp.

I went from 34 to 50 in about an hour and a half or so. Leveled most of my familiars to level 37-43. Its better to do it when you reach perdida unless you absolutely want to level grind early.
---
GTs: 360 - Chakramstrike; PS3 - yunalesca26
#13kkeevvPosted 2/5/2013 6:04:20 AM
Paulkotsu posted...
Why does anyone quit and load. Such a waste of time

Because with the method I use I typically see a Tokotoko or 2 every 5 minutes or less. You quit for 2 reasons: Reason 1 is so you don't have to fight a battle with mediocre xp and reason 2 is so the enemy that you've saved right next to is spawned. If you finish the fight you have to go attack a different one.
---
Check out my quote.
#14JRPGPosted 2/5/2013 8:21:47 PM
PsychoticNess posted...
The Perdida tip is the best one for xp/hr in MY opinion, but other users may disagree. I just found I had more luck sometimes getting 5-6 toko's a run. Like he said, start in Perdida, Veil if you have it, and run down untill the plateau stop that opens up. Travel to Perdida and they all reset.

For tokocold's, another user posted this helpful tip in the Ivory Tower. It allows you to quickly reset spawn points to hasten the chances of a toko appearing. NOTE: doesn't increase their spawn chance, just the rate at which you can reset spawn points.

His picture sums it up pretty well:
http://i.imgur.com/sGAB63u.jpg

But here's his topic if you have more questions:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/65312667

Followed that picture for ages an still no tokotocold. Frustratingly tedious. Seems to show the same enemies all the time with only 1 changed after a while...
---
PSN: Joerpg84
3DS: 2621-2720-6163
#15Crimson PhantomPosted 2/5/2013 9:09:40 PM
Yeah that would be me about the veil walk and warp method...

Gateway works, the downside is the loading times for getting there and back

I haven't really clocked that vs walking routes... I know the walking one their are a lot of potential spawns, sometimes they get into the trees and you don't get to see them

Gateway would have the same issue, enemies spawning in trees or running into them before you could swing the camera and check

I am not sure if gateway is faster than start quit reloading... and I know the run is more effective than start quit reloading
---
i7 2600k 5.4 (!) GHZ | H70 Hydro Cooling | 1TB SATA3 6GB/S HHD | 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dominator Ram | AMD Radeon HD 6970 | 850W Power
#16liquiddeath21Posted 2/5/2013 9:19:32 PM
Guardian of worlds, over and over.
---
PSN: iyaoyas21
....NISA, SideQuestStudios, Xseed, Atlus...
#17EpicFXPosted 2/6/2013 11:03:38 AM
For those doing the Veil/Travel Perdida run for Tokotokos and are afraid of missing the ones hidden in the trees, I'd like to offer a slight alternative to what's been said before that works amazingly for me.

If you're high enough level that the enemies run from you it makes this absolute cake. Start at Perdida and do NOT cast veil. As you make your run down the trail enemies will flee from you (meaning no battles), of course including any elusive and speedy Tokotokos hiding in the trees. As you see a Tokotoko running off, cast Veil. You can even wait a few seconds if it's still in the trees and you're unsure if it's a Tokotoko (hint, the run speed is a great indicator). One of two things will then happen:

- The Tokotoko will stop until your veil message is done displaying (you can still move) then continue running off
- The Tokotoko will stop running altogether

Either way, after casting Veil just walk up to the Tokotoko and fight it. Personally I don't take the chance that it'll be a runner and just stand on it waiting to kick right into battle when the Veil message is done. :P After the fight, continue down the trail doing the same. Teleport back up and repeat.

I find this completely negates any need for waiting/searching through the trees or worse, the ugly (and likely) possibility of running right by a hidden Tokotoko and not knowing it. You shouldn't ever have to worry about missing or watching that green xp stash escape again.
#18EpicFXPosted 2/6/2013 11:13:02 AM
Oh, and yes I know that the text-on-screen "bug" to catch fleeing enemies is already well established, I just figured in this instance casting Veil after and not before would be a helpful option for those missing hidden Tokotokos. =)
#19Crimson PhantomPosted 2/6/2013 7:05:39 PM
The biggest issue with NOT casting veil is that the enemies run from you...

not because its hard to catch the ones you want, but because they often flee and block your path / slow your down or occasionally flee into you... (especially in the first part of the mountain)

all of that adds time to the run and decreases your gain...

that is why veil up asap is better
---
i7 2600k 5.4 (!) GHZ | H70 Hydro Cooling | 1TB SATA3 6GB/S HHD | 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dominator Ram | AMD Radeon HD 6970 | 850W Power
#20EpicFXPosted 2/7/2013 9:14:32 AM
Crimson Phantom posted...
The biggest issue with NOT casting veil is that the enemies run from you...

not because its hard to catch the ones you want, but because they often flee and block your path / slow your down or occasionally flee into you... (especially in the first part of the mountain)

all of that adds time to the run and decreases your gain...

that is why veil up asap is better

I've done hundreds of laps and have only had one enemy run back into me. Mileage definitely varies per person, but it doesn't take much to avoid them if needed. :) The times I've caught hidden double-tokotokos in the trees far outweighs the occasional sidestep for me. May not work for some, but definitely works best for me! Whatever gets people sailing through the levels quicker, eh? :)