Warning: this topic contains a spoiler (?)

#1MeteoritesPosted 2/5/2013 1:11:05 AM(edited)
Is Marcassin being a party member a spoiler? - Results (192 votes)
Yes.
67.71% (130 votes)
No.
32.29% (62 votes)
This poll is now closed.
List of evidence that he's not a spoiler:

Here's a link to the opening movie (English) in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqX51OBjTDI
Starting from 1:41 to 1:58, the opening movie shows a sequence that links to all the party members, including Marcassin.
2:42 you can clearly see Marcassin riding on the dragon with the other characters, showing that he's part of the party.

Here is a Japanese TV commercial that shows Marcassin on a dragon on 0:09, and afterwards is directly followed by the gameplay dragon, indicating that the dragon is the airship and that Marcassin is in your party:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swu7SKII8DY

Here is a Japanese commercial that shows him in the list while in battle in 0:08 though it is only for a split second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8UilrorWc
Also, consider Marcassin's position in the Japanese box art for this game:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/images/box-262180
He is right beside Oliver along with the other party members.

Here is an English trailer that shows Marcassin with the rest of the party at 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es7V8_hm7tI

Here is a Japanese trailer that shows Marcassin at 0:27. At 1:20 - 1:25, it even shows him in battle and doing his victory dance after a battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CEO8NcW6H0
#2Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:04:12 AM(edited)
Are you people trolling me on purpose? As a result of extensive trolling, these results do not represent an accurate measurement of the opinion of the community.
#3crimson-falconPosted 2/5/2013 1:09:37 AM(edited)
you started a poll so i think answering the poll is enough than posting

note that they didnt included him in the manual unlike esther and swaine
---
want to say (Great ) in other ways?
say (Tidy ) or ( Neato ) :)
#4DDR MidianPosted 2/5/2013 1:09:58 AM
All this says to me is that the Japanese don't care about spoilers.

Kidding, I don't really care. If it annoys enough people, then it's a spoiler.
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX
#5Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:12:22 AM(edited)
DDR Midian posted...
All this says to me is that the Japanese don't care about spoilers.

Kidding, I don't really care. If it annoys enough people, then it's a spoiler.

The opening provided is in English, and one of the trailers is in English. And no, I hope you didn't vote yes just because it "annoyed enough people."
#6XtC2NxPosted 2/5/2013 1:13:36 AM
The fact that he is riding the dragon along with the other party members is not evidence enough, considering quite a few people join your party temporarily throughout the story.
#7EgHeadFoolPosted 2/5/2013 1:24:46 AM(edited)
You are obsessed, but let me give you a very non-exhaustive set of reasons why I disagree. In a general sense, your argument hinges around trailers, which is a fatal flaw because you are implying that trailers cannot contain spoilers. This is not true; in fact they often do. For movies as well. Sometimes I can guess the entire plot of a movie based on trailer scenes, in the worst of cases. So first you'd have to argue an uphill subjective battle that if something is shown in promotional material then it cannot be considered spoilers. Well, to people who haven't played the game, they will probably disagree with you. You also use a lot of Japanese footage, which is pretty much invalid if you're trying to argue it against a western audience and western release.

You are also being so selective in the brief, tiny glimpses you give, that you probably don't realize that a normal person who hasn't beaten the game probably wouldn't notice, or even assume that he's a party member. There are plenty of examples of cutscenes in this game and many others, where non-playable characters are with you. I can discredit most of your provided clips just from that:

1) After Marcassin, the next cameo it shows is Pea. So Pea is a playable character too, right? Because she was shown with all the characters! Clearly it's showing all playable characters, and everyone watching is conscious of this! Oops.

2) Japanese, but still it barely shows him, and in no way makes someone unfamiliar go "oh man I'm getting a 4th party member!"

3) Wow, you really think someone who doesn't want to be spoiled is going to watch that video and frame-by-frame it and analyze the party members? He's not even on the battlefield, just his name in the character list! This honestly hurts you more than helping, by showing how ridiculous you're being...

4) Wow, that Japanese All-In-One box has him on it. Ignoring the whole Japan thing, I guess that means Pea and Rashaad are playable too right? Since they're both standing IN FRONT of Marcassin.

5) Pea is there too. OMG THERE ARE 5 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!

6) Can't view this video. But anyway I could reiterate my point about Japan.

In summary, the entire foundation of your argument is flawed, but beyond that you are so obsessed that you aren't seeing the common sense involved.
#8crimson-falconPosted 2/5/2013 1:22:37 AM(edited)
XtC2Nx posted...
The fact that he is riding the dragon along with the other party members is not evidence enough, considering quite a few people join your party temporarily throughout the story.

true

same as pea joins the party as guest character BUT NOT PLAYABLE CHARACTER
---
want to say (Great ) in other ways?
say (Tidy ) or ( Neato ) :)
#9TerradriusPosted 2/5/2013 1:25:32 AM(edited)
Meteorites posted...
Are you people trolling me on purpose? As a result of extensive trolling, these results do not represent an accurate measurement of the opinion of the community.

Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean we're trolling. If you ask a question, you should be prepared for people to not give you the answer you want and not immediately dismiss them without hearing any of their arguments.

Yes, there are promotional videos that kinda-sorta more than hint that Marcassin joins the party, the majority of which are in Japanese. Shockingly, many people don't go out of their way to watch trailers in Japanese for a game that they're, and many people don't look at the trailers at all. How about instead of promotional materials, we look at what's actually in the game.

Yes, the intro cinematic does hint that Marcassin joins the party. Note that Mr. Drippy and Pea also get just as much hinting (and it's the same in the english trailer). Most people won't remember ever seeing Marcassin extremely briefly at the beginning of the game 10-20 hours in, and definitely won't remember the context of it (by the other party members, Mr Drippy, and Pea) if they do.

After that, however, you meet Marcassin several times and he never shows and particular inclination to join the party - no more than Rashaad, for instance. You play through probably 85% of the game without him, having a party of only 3 when the interface would clearly only allow a party of three, repeatedly interacting with Marcassin with no indication he'll ever join the party. By the time you get to Shadar, most people will definitely assume that if you were going to get another party member, you would've gotten them by now. And then quite unexpectedly, he joins the party.

Technically, anything that happens in the story is a spoiler beyond the basic premise, but people care about this and qualify it specifically as a spoiler because it's late in the story, it's not really hinted at at all within the game itself (other than the very brief bit during the intro cinematic) and as the plot progresses it's something that seems less and less likely until it actually happens, and when it does it's pretty unexpected. So yes, it's a spoiler.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#10kkeevvPosted 2/5/2013 1:22:44 AM
Saying flat-out that Marcassin is the 4th party member is a spoiler. That I'm not gonna argue, there's too much easy evidence to back it up. However, my issue is that people who have already been spoiled are now going around and seeing EVERYTHING that says anything about him as a spoiler.
---
Check out my quote.