Warning: this topic contains a spoiler (?)

#11Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:36:32 AM
EgHeadFool posted...

I like to ask this with everyone, but why do you think that Swaine is not a spoiler, but Marcassin is?

1) You completely ignored that part with the dragon which does not contain Pea. Also, all of those characters do travel with you extensively. Given how Marcassin did not play much of a role in Hamelin, you can already deduce that he is going to play a more extensive role from this trailer. Pea is a child, so she cannot battle, but Marcassin meets all the criteria for being a protagonist such as being capable of battle and being of a young age (but not too young).

2) Barely shows him my ass. The 3rd trailer barely shows him. This one shows him very clearly.

3) I take it you haven't been on boards where games haven't been released yet? They DO ANALYSE VIDEOS FRAME BY FRAME. Something like this would've been picked out almost immediately.

4) This is a list of evidence that SUGGESTs that he's a party member. After viewing him in all those other videos, it should be clear he plays a major role.

5) See 1.

6) Yes, the most important trailer that shows him in battle and you conveniently "can't see it." Okay, we're go with your story. But it doesn't matter whether it's Japanese or English. The plot is written the same way, and spoilers are the same for both versions except for translation errors.
#12DDR MidianPosted 2/5/2013 1:41:12 AM
If you ask me the bottom line is this: A lot of people didn't/don't know and it's a nice surprise when it happens. Regardless of everything else that's been said, whether or not you think it's obvious, whether people saw him in trailers or cinematics, they still didn't consciously lock on to the fact, and now the surprise is gone. I'm just sorry everybody else isn't as eagle-eyed and obsessive as you are.
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX
#13Thanatos2kPosted 2/5/2013 1:44:43 AM
The funny thing is even after the poll will show that the OP is wrong, he'll still be complaining as if he's right.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#14Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:47:47 AM
Terradrius posted...

Yes, be stubborn and ignore all my trailer evidence. Like with the others, I'd first like to ask you why Swaine isn't a spoiler, but Marcassin is. Mr. Drippy is a part of the party. He even gains a skill in battle, albeit he is not playable like the others. Pea isn't even recognized by the other characters at first, and shows no signs of being capable in battle. Also, she is of a young age. Marcassin isn't even in the DS version of this game. In fact, he is tacked on, which is why it shows him with no inclination to join, but still you see him defeating the boss in the graveyard, and he travels with you at one point as well.

I don't think anything besides the basic premise is a spoiler, and if you disagree, then there's nothing to discuss because no one is in the basic premise. Why do people care about this? It doesn't really spoil anything, and in terms of story, him being playable or not does not affect the plot. He was still traveling with you like the others. They could have easily made Raashad playable for the brief period he joins you had they the resources. Clearly, he would've participated in battle in the story. But from a gameplay perspective, he's not because he only appears for a limited time and is too old.
#15EgHeadFoolPosted 2/5/2013 1:49:02 AM
Meteorites posted...
<6) Yes, the most important trailer that shows him in battle and you conveniently "can't see it." Okay, we're go with your story. But it doesn't matter whether it's Japanese or English. The plot is written the same way, and spoilers are the same for both versions except for translation errors.

I was going to answer you seriously but now you're accusing me of lying. Ask anyone in the United States if they can watch your last link. You don't deserve another second of anyone's attention and you've gone from annoying me to disgusting me.
#16Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:54:55 AM
EgHeadFool posted...
Meteorites posted...
<6) Yes, the most important trailer that shows him in battle and you conveniently "can't see it." Okay, we're go with your story. But it doesn't matter whether it's Japanese or English. The plot is written the same way, and spoilers are the same for both versions except for translation errors.

I was going to answer you seriously but now you're accusing me of lying. Ask anyone in the United States if they can watch your last link. You don't deserve another second of anyone's attention and you've gone from annoying me to disgusting me.

Good, because I don't want to argue with anyone who refuses to see facts for what they are.
#17TerradriusPosted 2/5/2013 2:06:24 AM(edited)
Meteorites posted...
I like to ask this with everyone, but why do you think that Swaine is not a spoiler, but Marcassin is?

Technically, he is. But spoilers are only relevant as people care about them. The generally accepted definition of what constitutes a spoiler considers that the later in a work it happens, the more of a spoiler it is. The less expected it is, the more of a spoiler it is. The less it's hinted at as the work progresses, the more of a spoiler it is. Basically, Swaine joins pretty early and he becomes a party member very quickly after his introduction, spending almost no time as an NPC. Marcassin joins very late and spends the vast majority of the plot as an NPC. Moreover, the game's interface (something that every player interacts with on a very regular basis, as opposed to trailers and intro cinematics, which it is very possible to see not at all or only once) can be argued to fit 3 people very well, and most people would think that after you get 3 party members early and then spend 20-30 hours without any more, you wouldn't get any. That's why people care about Marcassin and not Swaine. He joins far later in the game, and it's far less expected that he'll join, due to his long time as an NPC and the very long period of time with no new party members.

3) I take it you haven't been on boards where games haven't been released yet? They DO ANALYSE VIDEOS FRAME BY FRAME. Something like this would've been picked out almost immediately.

4) This is a list of evidence that SUGGESTs that he's a party member. After viewing him in all those other videos, it should be clear he plays a major role.

Most people on this board have not analyzed the videos frame by frame. Most people would not have viewed all these videos at all, as most people wouldn't watch the japanese trailers for this game. Quite a few probably didn't even see the English trailer before launch. They are irrelevant to whether something is a spoiler or not, because a significant portion of the people on the board haven't seem them, especially not seem them one after another. And as was stated earlier in this thread, trailers can absolutely spoil plot points. Promotional materials are not necessarily made by people who know the plot backwards and forwards, and they may not be told what to avoid or not. Which leads to...

6) Yes, the most important trailer that shows him in battle and you conveniently "can't see it." Okay, we're go with your story. But it doesn't matter whether it's Japanese or English. The plot is written the same way, and spoilers are the same for both versions except for translation errors.

No way. If the Japanese name of "The Empire Strikes Back" was "Vader Revealed as Luke's Father," it would absolutely still be a spoiler for Western audiences. Spoilers are absolutely relevant to their context.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#18EgHeadFoolPosted 2/5/2013 2:08:02 AM
Terradrius posted...
Most people on this board have not analyzed the videos frame by frame.

Yeah, I guess he chose to ignore the part where I said people who don't want to be spoiled wouldn't do this. If it takes that level of analysis, then just watching the trailer tells you nothing. That's like saying "hey guys but I dumped the demo code onto my PC and when I analyzed it there was extra character data there for a 4th character! This is obviously common knowledge and not spoilery because it was in the demo!" I am glad someone else level-headed is here, but I have just learned the hard way that you are wasting your time and you will only get insulted for trying.
#19Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:13:11 AM
Terradrius posted...

Technically, he is. But spoilers are only relevant as people care about them. The generally accepted definition of what constitutes a spoiler considers that the later in a work it happens, the more of a spoiler it is. The less expected it is, the more of a spoiler it is. The less it's hinted at as the work progresses, the more of a spoiler it is.

What's the point of arguing with me if that's your definition of spoiler? Anything can be a spoiler as long as people care? And I take it you haven't read any of my blackened text. I'm not sure how far you are in the story.
#20Meteorites(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:16:44 AM
EgHeadFool posted...
Terradrius posted...
Most people on this board have not analyzed the videos frame by frame.

Yeah, I guess he chose to ignore the part where I said people who don't want to be spoiled wouldn't do this. If it takes that level of analysis, then just watching the trailer tells you nothing. That's like saying "hey guys but I dumped the demo code onto my PC and when I analyzed it there was extra character data there for a 4th character! This is obviously common knowledge and not spoilery because it was in the demo!" I am glad someone else level-headed is here, but I have just learned the hard way that you are wasting your time and you will only get insulted for trying.

I have not insulted you a single time in my reply. Could you blame anyone for not believing that you can't see the video where he's shown in battle? Not that you'd have anything useful to say other than lol Japanese. If I could find my English trailers, I would. You could consider my 2nd reply to be an insult, but only because you insulted me (annoying, disgusting).