Miserable AI, or am I doing it wrong?

#31TorturedRemnantPosted 2/5/2013 1:53:34 PM
The characters seem to have different ways of using their mana, Oliver will use high level spells or high-mana abilities with his familiar until he uses a bit more than half of his mana.
Swain generally uses status inflictors (Monolith with demon's embrace for example) but tends to use a bit less then half of his mana.
Esther will cast her party-buffs 2 seconds before the fights are over with basically no mana left.

My strategy: I set Esther to "Don't use abilites" and give her familiars with good attack and high-cost abilities (right now she has water balloonatic, grimray, and the last postiion i use for training other familiars). She will always just auto attack, but I can switch to her if I wanna do a high-costing spell and she will ALWAYS have the mana to do so as long as I don't spam the spells.

I set Swain to back me up and give him familiars that are Tanks or have LOW-COST spells attatched to them. He will use up a bit of mana casting his low level spells. He will then proceed to just tank and auto-attack until he picks up a blue glim, where he will then cast a spell. I never have to worry about him, though I give him familiars I like to play as :3

Oliver is the most annoying, I set him to Back up also. The problem with setting him to the healing tactic is sometimes he won't use his healing familiars, he will go to himself and heal the party, and then proceed to cast frostbite and pulse etc. With oliver, I have to live with the fact that he will forever be at about %35-40 mana. Because of this, I give Oliver my strongest auto-attacking familiars and my strongest healers. I will always save my mana for heals, or as I am stocked up on snacks, I will sometimes go full offensive magic the boss is weak to and focus on using food to heal the party.

The AI sucks balls
---
Pie. It's whats for dinner. Please.
#32ajmrowland1Posted 2/5/2013 1:56:24 PM
SriVastra posted...
It's a common issue. The AI is terribad at conserving MP. Not really much you can do aside from setting them to not use abilities and doing it manually when you want to. Had to do it a lot toward the end even though I had Esther set to heal, she absolutely refused to cast her big party heal unless I told her to myself.

This is the only problem I had with AI, especially since Coffee and Cappucinos are so expensive.

*However* when she's at full MP, she proves to be dependable and invaluable during tough fights.
#33Dameon2kPosted 2/5/2013 2:07:35 PM
I don't get why everyone seems to be having problems. i can't comment on don't use abilities but I have set to do whatever (can't remember the option name) and I haven't had any problems with people wasting MP. The first thing I got though was the merit thing that would drop more health and MP in battles. But so far I haven't had problems like most people here.
#34pondrthis(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 3:18:31 PM
Dameon2k posted...
I haven't had any problems with people wasting MP. The first thing I got though was the merit thing that would drop more health and MP in battles.

Are you overleveled? When I spend time doing things such as revisiting areas to capture new pets or the brief stint I made Toko farming, I find that the MP is plenty refilled by glims. When I'm fighting close battles against enemies that are an appropriate relative level for me, given my playstyle, I have this problem in spades.

Now maybe you're like what the average Japanese player must be like (based on the crap that has passed Japanese QC between the early 80s and now), and enjoy farming until you roflstomp enemies before moving on. Then I can see not having the problem!

I have a question: is there a way to cancel All-Out Defend without hitting All-Out Attack? I usually hit triangle right after blocking a boss' ultimate because it gets your party fighting again, but if I were to set everyone to "no abilities", would there be an option besides waiting for like 10 goddamned seconds?
#35pondrthis(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 3:40:58 PM
<anti-old school RPG elitist sarcasm rant>
Maybe I'm expecting a little too much here. I mean, this is trying to return us to the good old days of FF4 and others, where unlike modern games which actually pit us against enemies and intended game mechanics, we fought against glitches that broke the game, and other, somewhat less frustrating things.

Right... at least this game doesn't have Sketch! Or that one Lore that caused Shadow to lose his dog forever! Or that Vanish-Doom thing that was too tempting to resist using in certain situations!

...Although I could go for a steaming pile of glitched magic evade. Would make stomaching the fact that this game crashes occasionally more palatable.
</anti-old school RPG elitist sarcasm rant>

Anyone who got all the references, you are a true "old school" RPG player. Only pre-PS2 RPG still worth playing is Chrono Trigger =P
#36Lord BladePosted 2/6/2013 7:43:46 PM
Now maybe you're like what the average Japanese player must be like (based on the crap that has passed Japanese QC between the early 80s and now), and enjoy farming until you roflstomp enemies before moving on. Then I can see not having the problem!

I love roflstomping enemies. I powerlevel myself as much as possible in any RPG I play.

But even I find the AI to be rather brainless when it comes to ability use.
Go to fight some puny little thing and see Esther spam as many buffs as she can then have her familiar use its biggest attacks when she could have easily beat it down with basic attacks.

*Sigh*

Or going up Old Smoky and seeing Oliver spamming fire attacks instead of the nice ice spell he has.

*facepalm*
---
Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome? - krazy168
The politically correct term is "casual gamer" - wubikens