Why can't they make a challenging JRPG?

#1roughdraft11220Posted 2/5/2013 3:44:08 PM
I haven't played a challenging JRPG in my life and I started with the very first, Dragon Quest 1 on the NES.

7th Saga was probably the most difficult just off the top of my head, but it wasn't challenging.
#2GrapeKiwiPosted 2/5/2013 3:44:33 PM
Y's series.
go have fun.
---
Hi guys! I'm an ex HoN semi-pro who streams Dota 2 and various JRPG's! Currently streaming : Tales of Graces F NG+
http://www.justin.tv/kawaiikiwix3
#3PhaseSlaethePosted 2/5/2013 3:45:33 PM
SMT.

Also, challenge isn't always fun.
#4roughdraft11220(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 3:45:43 PM
7th Saga was way more difficult than any of the Ys games.
#5SumTinWongPosted 2/5/2013 3:49:28 PM
nocturne hard mode.
---
nonstick banana frying pan and slippery cardboard box. Why do birds fly? It's entirely because they get tired of walking.
#6BlazingGunnyPosted 2/5/2013 3:49:49 PM
Play Cross Edge, it's not the best written JRPG ever, and has no real story. But you'll be dying plenty, particularly in post game.
---
If there's a sound to play, that doesn't fit today, why not just play the b*stard anyway!
PSN: Gunblade-XP
#7TCrinaleTPosted 2/5/2013 3:50:56 PM
Dark Souls on the top of my head
#8tsukia8Posted 2/5/2013 3:57:01 PM(edited)
Eh that bring up memories. Even my mother played 7th Saga. Kamille was sooo cool, the robot too! Me and my mom took like 4-5hrs doing little to no damage to kill the final boss during a summer day (I remember my father doing a BBQ!!)! I believe an item had to be used to weaken it. We had no PC nor internet back then lol.

I think my last challenging RPG is tales of graces F. The fact you can unlock higher difficulty in the first playthrought by winning battles on the highest difficulty is just too awesome.
#9GrapeKiwiPosted 2/5/2013 3:53:58 PM
roughdraft11220 posted...
7th Saga was way more difficult than any of the Ys games.

well I wasnt making a comparison..
saga is a tough jrpg, probably enix's toughest made.
in terms of other tough jrpg's, I can only really think of Dark Souls.
The Tales series is too if you play on the toughest difficulties, and are especially rewarding playing with a group of people. Though I get a feeling these aren't what you're looking for.
---
Hi guys! I'm an ex HoN semi-pro who streams Dota 2 and various JRPG's! Currently streaming : Tales of Graces F NG+
http://www.justin.tv/kawaiikiwix3
#10MightyPhumbabaPosted 2/5/2013 3:54:58 PM
seconded on 7th Saga , specially if your the wizardress.
---
"It could be worse -- I could be a Prinny"