What's your least favorite "generic RPG" locale?

#21dark trunksPosted 2/5/2013 10:04:17 PM
Vyvi posted...
Damn I feel like the list of RPGs without any sort of sewer stage would be short

My nightmare sewer, that I can remember off the top of my head, was in FFXII. That was just horrible. And returning there later for bounties and other ******* quests was irritating. Especially when, if I remember right, there was a puzzle to it. The fact you spend a large portion of the game underground frustrated me. I longed to see the light of day in that game early on.

Which is why I am so glad this game tosses you from open area to open area. Sure there's a forest, but it's much nicer than a sewer, and even this games sewer is pleasant to the eye (although I guess it's not a proper "sewer").
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#22BloodPanther0Posted 2/5/2013 10:08:39 PM
DESERTS.

As in, the ones in old games like Digimon World 3 and Legend of Dragoon and almost Xenogears but thankfully you had something to follow and it wasn't a true "area" but then that stupid cavern thing after.

Boring. The same screen with minute differences over and over. Hey look, the cactus is on the LEFT this time!

Also tedious and confusing as all hell. Am I supposed to not ragequit or fall back on a guide trying to find the right "path" to get wherever?

Though, I have to give credit for at least being like a "realistic" desert... But why like that?
#23KikuichimonjiPosted 2/5/2013 10:09:54 PM
Vyvi posted...
Oh yeah inside living things... I like those places generally.

In NNK, the first time when entering Mommy's Tummy, who expected to see that?
---
There's no point telling stupid people that they're stupid. They're too stupid to know that they're stupid. Wasted effort.
#24Buster_McFunkyPosted 2/5/2013 10:10:47 PM
davidvinc posted...

Xenogears (omg, thinking about these sewers is enough to give me nightmares!)

Ugh, yes. An irritating labyrinth level at the end of which was the game's first really challenging boss.
#25KrowlinMANPosted 2/5/2013 10:54:16 PM
well the most annoying areas for me are ones that were in most of my favorite RPG games

such as

a Prison
the main characters get captured or break someone out of prison

and the "Haunted Pirate Ship"
the characters hear about a "ghost ship" while getting ready to travel the open sea, only to stumble on said ship, and the majority of the time its not even haunted
---
PSN : KrowlinMAN or PSN : Pinky_the_Demon
#26thundy84Posted 2/5/2013 10:58:10 PM
I don't really like desert locales. I can't really think of a single desert town that I liked in all the rpgs that I've played.

Dungeon wise, my least favorite would be the tower types. Climbing up the tower in Persona 3 drove me bonkers.
---
"Why are you wearing a tux?!" "It's after six, what am I, a farmer?"
PSN: thundy84
#27HodouPosted 2/5/2013 10:59:06 PM
BloodPanther0 posted...
DESERTS.

As in, the ones in old games like Digimon World 3 and Legend of Dragoon and almost Xenogears but thankfully you had something to follow and it wasn't a true "area" but then that stupid cavern thing after.

Boring. The same screen with minute differences over and over. Hey look, the cactus is on the LEFT this time!

Also tedious and confusing as all hell. Am I supposed to not ragequit or fall back on a guide trying to find the right "path" to get wherever?

Though, I have to give credit for at least being like a "realistic" desert... But why like that?

This desert description reminds me of FF7, which leads me to remember a locale that hasn't been mentioned...

I flipping hate PRISONS. Worst. There are a number of different prison cliches that can happen in RPGs and all of them are god awful. It usually involves some kind of incredibly boring story arc, uninteresting or outright hostile NPCs, incredibly annoying enemies like thieves or guards... Then it often gets combined with caves and sewers which just adds to the awfulness. And then the only way to get out is to either beat a boss (and if you're not prepared for it haha screw you you're in jail you can't train or buy items) or win some sort of idiotic mini game. Or worse, a stealth section. SCREW prisons, man.
#28KrowlinMANPosted 2/5/2013 11:02:55 PM
Hodou posted...
BloodPanther0 posted...
DESERTS.

This desert description reminds me of FF7, which leads me to remember a locale that hasn't been mentioned...

I flipping hate PRISONS. Worst. There are a number of different prison cliches that can happen in RPGs and all of them are god awful. It usually involves some kind of incredibly boring story arc, uninteresting or outright hostile NPCs, incredibly annoying enemies like thieves or guards... Then it often gets combined with caves and sewers which just adds to the awfulness. And then the only way to get out is to either beat a boss (and if you're not prepared for it haha screw you you're in jail you can't train or buy items) or win some sort of idiotic mini game. Or worse, a stealth section. SCREW prisons, man.

I mentioned Prisons..... and ghost ships lol
---
PSN : KrowlinMAN or PSN : Pinky_the_Demon
#29HodouPosted 2/5/2013 11:07:39 PM
Oh? Sorry krowlin.
#30toomanymouthsPosted 2/5/2013 11:28:20 PM
Someone else kinda said it, but mine DEFINITELY has to be the areas that tend to be more towards the end of the game and feature crystal/glass/futuristic platforms, walls, etc.