What's your least favorite "generic RPG" locale?

#31eurytomidPosted 2/5/2013 11:30:14 PM
Prisons and sewers, god I hate them so much...
#32KuoxPosted 2/5/2013 11:45:50 PM
Industrial cities. Only exception is Midgar
---
Not that bad
#33nedrithPosted 2/5/2013 11:47:02 PM
sewers and industrial. though the latter is only in places where it doesn't fit in well which is most JRPGs. the TCs example of Hamelin was perfect, all these rather low tech towns and then you find this rather high tech town. I really didn't like the beginning of FFVII because of Midgar. Granted that was also due to it being highly restricted on the freedom of movement part but It just didn't feel right either.
#34theofficefan99Posted 2/5/2013 11:55:34 PM
Hodou posted...
BloodPanther0 posted...
DESERTS.

As in, the ones in old games like Digimon World 3 and Legend of Dragoon and almost Xenogears but thankfully you had something to follow and it wasn't a true "area" but then that stupid cavern thing after.

Boring. The same screen with minute differences over and over. Hey look, the cactus is on the LEFT this time!

Also tedious and confusing as all hell. Am I supposed to not ragequit or fall back on a guide trying to find the right "path" to get wherever?

Though, I have to give credit for at least being like a "realistic" desert... But why like that?

This desert description reminds me of FF7, which leads me to remember a locale that hasn't been mentioned...

I flipping hate PRISONS. Worst. There are a number of different prison cliches that can happen in RPGs and all of them are god awful. It usually involves some kind of incredibly boring story arc, uninteresting or outright hostile NPCs, incredibly annoying enemies like thieves or guards... Then it often gets combined with caves and sewers which just adds to the awfulness. And then the only way to get out is to either beat a boss (and if you're not prepared for it haha screw you you're in jail you can't train or buy items) or win some sort of idiotic mini game. Or worse, a stealth section. SCREW prisons, man.

This.

Prisons, sewers and deserts all suck.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#35theofficefan99Posted 2/5/2013 11:56:22 PM
toomanymouths posted...
Someone else kinda said it, but mine DEFINITELY has to be the areas that tend to be more towards the end of the game and feature crystal/glass/futuristic platforms, walls, etc.

I love that stuff. Kind of a crazy thing to hate. It's like hating chocolate or pizza.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#36NoelXYeulPosted 2/6/2013 12:39:30 AM
DESERTS, I hate them because in my experience they always make them some sort of headache inducing bland experience. Don't even get me started with FFVII's desert. I think the best desert I ever been in was FFV's.
---
Top 5 Hottest Cutest/Final Fantasy Girls IMO: Yuel>>Garnet>>Vanille>>Rikku>>Penelo
Top 3 Final Fantasies: XIII-2>IX>Tactics
#37zeldagamer2123Posted 2/6/2013 1:11:18 AM
Deserts rule, you guys! Deserts along with volcano and lava areas are my favorites.

But I'm not a fan of sewers.
---
Nah, Luigi's just a pimp. He's got Rosalina, too. - phantom0x
Well it doesn't matter because Mario is so awesome he doesn't need a cool final smash. -Sbladel
#38badboyPosted 2/6/2013 1:25:56 AM
I don't like those massive tree dungeons (not forests).
#39Thanatos2kPosted 2/6/2013 1:35:55 AM
Desert. They always tend to be big forcing you to run around a lot.

And of course there's Breath of Fire 3's desert which ruined deserts forevermore.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#40BurnumMasterPosted 2/6/2013 2:00:10 AM
I don't know what to call it, but I guess I would say the weird, nonsensical, trippy place that has nothing to do with the rest of the game. This is usually at the end of the game. The floor could be weird spacey stuff or the environments could randomly change.
---
GT:BurnumMaster