What's your least favorite "generic RPG" locale?

#41BlazingGunnyPosted 2/6/2013 2:28:44 AM
FF8 prison... ugh... Up. Down. Up Down. Up. Down, What? Secret Rosetta Stone? *Turns off game*
---
If there's a sound to play, that doesn't fit today, why not just play the b*stard anyway!
PSN: Gunblade-XP
#42SupahJemPosted 2/6/2013 2:34:46 AM
Didn't Tales of the Abyss have a sewers area too? When Natalia was just escaping/you're learning about her? Only seeing people mention Symphonia's sewer.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: SupahJem
#43DraugnipurPosted 2/6/2013 3:09:11 AM
Thanatos2k posted...

And of course there's Breath of Fire 3's desert which ruined deserts forevermore.

This, many times this
Not overly fond of prisons either
---
http://backloggery.com
what happens if I press this?............................er, run.
#44TiaelPosted 2/6/2013 4:28:32 AM
Volcano/fire type areas.

Old Smoky, Fire Cavern, Mt. Gulg, Barrel Volcano (this one wasn't so bad with the Axem Rangers outside), so on.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni - Captain Whamtastic http://i.imgur.com/IVH6BX0.jpg
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five. Da Bears!
#45dudeitscoolPosted 2/6/2013 5:34:22 AM
Taizuku posted...
Generic Ice level.

Same here, hate ice and or snow levels.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#46naarosPosted 2/6/2013 5:40:14 AM
I would have to agree with sewers being the worst. I still have horror stories thinking about the sewer in Xenogears... *shudders*
#47davidvincPosted 2/6/2013 5:55:09 AM
SupahJem posted...
Didn't Tales of the Abyss have a sewers area too? When Natalia was just escaping/you're learning about her? Only seeing people mention Symphonia's sewer.

There are many JRPGs with sewers, however, I specifically mentioned only the ones that were horrible. Some, like Abyss, EarthBound and NiNoKuni, were actually somewhat tolerable.
---
Check out my collection and leave a comment!
http://backloggery.com/davidvinc
#48DDR MidianPosted 2/6/2013 6:05:54 AM
I'm not a fan of deserts either, mainly because the landscape is so empty and dull. I also dislike the typical late-game period when everything turns dark and depressing, why can't it stay bright and colourful the whole time?
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX
#49Bane766Posted 2/6/2013 6:12:21 AM
I have to agree that I like the fire, ice, and desert areas as it does make it seem like more of an adventure. I also think it's neat to be inside creature and escaping. And, maybe it's me, but I've always loved a good jailbreak/prison escape...it used to be damn near mandatory thing in a JRPG.

I'm not a huge fan of them putting a futuristic level at the end of the game in a normally fantasy(medieval) type world.

I'll also add a vote to sewers-usually because of all the levers and doors and other hassles you have to deal with-someone mentioned Xenogears and ToS as an example which are good ones. Sometimes they can be done right-they just don't need to be a twisting labyrinth.
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#50Zio_DynePosted 2/6/2013 6:18:20 AM
The extreme environments provide contrast and serve to make the world feel larger than it is.
Plus snow is just awesome, volcanic areas always have a sense of urgency to them, and deserts are an interesting source of exotic desperation.

Sewers.......why the hell are there always sewers?
I don't want to play with the rats in a dank cesspool or create a path through the unnecessarily convoluted use of trash compactors.
I don't want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, only for some grimer to fall off the ceiling and assault me.
Not cool.
Note to all future castle-makers: stop building secret sewer escape tunnels thank you please.