What's your least favorite "generic RPG" locale?

#61Alucard_FoNPosted 2/6/2013 8:17:01 AM
andrewlkt posted...
Sewers and prisons

Sewers usually have a confusing layout with grates randomly blocking paths. The puzzle usually involves opening/closing/flipping various valves and switches to open up paths. They are usually filled with mobs that are heavy on inflicting the most annoying status ailments in the game.

Thankfully, Ding Dong Well is the second dungeon in this game and there's a limit to how annoying they can make a "sewer"-like level that early in the game.

Prisons usually involve an annoying stealth sequence. This is normally combined with stripping all your gear and forcing your party to fight shorthanded while you slowly recover your gear. And even worse are the ones that force you to manually equip that gear using a not so user friendly inventory system.

I actually like prison levels for that exact reason, I love having all my stuff taken away and having to rough it until I get it back. The level in Deus Ex where you have to break out of UNATCO HQ springs to mind.
#62ArcDerekPosted 2/6/2013 8:29:52 AM(edited)
Ghost Ships. Always lame padding to the length of the game. The only ghost anything that I enjoyed was the Phantom Train in FFVI.
Prisons.
Forest Mazes/Illusions (Vagrant Story, Lunar, etc.)

I liked the sewers in FFXII… and Shadow Hearts… *shrugs*
You know what RPGs need more of? Library dungeons ala FFT and FFV.
#63TiaelPosted 2/6/2013 8:29:54 AM
ArcDerek posted...
Ghost Ships. Always lame padding to the length of the game. The only ghost anything that I enjoyed was the Phantom Train in FFVI.
Prisons.

You know what RPGs need more of? Library dungeons ala FFT.

But, but!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkailb3xcTI
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni - Captain Whamtastic http://i.imgur.com/IVH6BX0.jpg
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five. Da Bears!
#64Zio_DynePosted 2/6/2013 8:39:08 AM
Ghost Ships. Always lame padding to the length of the game.

The only ghost ship that I ever found memorable was...
>.>
<.<
>.<
The one from Suikoden IV.
Ted!
#65Alucard_FoNPosted 2/6/2013 8:41:00 AM
Of course Suikoden 4 was by far the worst game in the series so any part of the game that gave you nostalgia feels for the older ones were automatically the best parts of the game.
#66Thanatos2kPosted 2/6/2013 9:29:15 AM
Tiael posted...
ArcDerek posted...
Prisons.

You know what RPGs need more of? Library dungeons ala FFT.

But, but!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkailb3xcTI

Best forest maze ever.

But for every one of those you get an obnoxious one like Legend of Zelda where you have to walk in the correct screen order to get out. Actually, nevermind, SMRPG's was like that too.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#67dudeitscoolPosted 2/6/2013 10:47:59 AM
My favorite is beach or island levels. Always enjoy a nice fight with beach background.

Oh I also hate caves. I like outdoor levels best.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#68imsalingawayPosted 2/6/2013 10:51:17 AM
Desert areas kind of piss me off usually, because some games make them annoying on purpose. (Earthbound springs to mind) I like prison levels, but sewer levels do sorta bother me. The way that they're all those circular style sewers with the walkways on the sides... It does feel pretty lazy.
#69liquiddeath21Posted 2/6/2013 10:55:25 AM
I always get frustrated at the mazes that force you to take the correct path or they warp you back to the start, especially that ones that have no real hint or direction on which way you have to go, just always feels like cheap/lazy dungeon design to me
---
PSN: iyaoyas21
....NISA, SideQuestStudios, Xseed, Atlus...
#70consumer567Posted 2/6/2013 10:59:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8XKDLtd60

MORE SEWERS! This game is pretty sweet, btw. Average story but a ton of stuff to do.