40 hours into this. Should I play Persona 3 or 4 after this?

#1DemonBuffetPosted 2/6/2013 12:08:13 AM
What do you guys recommend?
I'm on a JRPG mood since I've played this wonderful game :D
#2LilFunnyCatPosted 2/6/2013 12:08:46 AM
Either.
---
Favorites: Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: TTYD, Dragon Quest V, Persona 3/4, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Vesperia, Mario and Luigi SS, Fire Emblem, BanjoTooie
#3TerradriusPosted 2/6/2013 12:15:39 AM
They're both solid. If you'd be playing P3 or P3:FES rather than P3 Portable, I'd recommend playing 3 first then. Going back to play it later when you can't directly control your party members would be hard. If you'd be playing P3P, though (where you can directly control your party members), then it doesn't really matter which you play first.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#4jliddellPosted 2/6/2013 12:24:43 AM
I agree with Terradrius(sp).

Play P3:FES. You can't actually "walk around" in P3P and that is kind of annoying to me and it takes away from the exploration feel of the game and turns it into some sort of menu-driven dating simulator with a small dungeon component.

Then play P4G if you have a Vita or P4 on PS2.

They are both excellent games (but they are not like Ni No Kuni at all).

Dragon Quest is a bit like NNK, you might enjoy that. Etrian Odyssey 4 comes out for the 3DS at the end of the month in the USA, that game will be killer.
#5SkrallRampagerPosted 2/6/2013 12:31:10 AM
Paper Mario: TTYD
#6badboyPosted 2/6/2013 12:44:38 AM(edited)
I finished both, they're average/mediocre. 3 has a better story though. I suggest getting something else. How about the Dragon Quest series? Aside from the combat, they're the closest thing to NnK.
#7PffrbtPosted 2/6/2013 12:34:30 AM
Play Grandia 2.
#8PffrbtPosted 2/6/2013 12:36:07 AM
jliddell posted...
Play P3:FES. You can't actually "walk around" in P3P and that is kind of annoying to me and it takes away from the exploration feel of the game and turns it into some sort of menu-driven dating simulator with a small dungeon component.

There is no exploration feel of the game, I can't imagine being totally menu driven making P3 any more soul crushingly boring than it already is.
#9EmiHinataPosted 2/6/2013 12:58:32 AM
I'd suggest playing both, although playing 3 before 4. If you don't mind AI-controlled teammates, go for P3:FES, as it's the most complete version of the game. If you'd like to play as a female main character OR AI-control is a dealbreaker (you can't do manual in P3), get Persona 3 Portable for the PSP.

Either way, both P3 and P4 are solid games.
---
Beyond the Joystick - game reviews, plot recaps, and more
http://beyond-the-joystick.blogspot.com
#10HodouPosted 2/6/2013 1:20:14 AM
In my opinion P3P is easily the best of the recent Persona games, actually. What needs to be understood is that P3P came out after P4, and as such has taken the superior gameplay, story, characters, and difficulty of P3 and merged it with the far better battle system of P4. It also has far more satisfying difficulty than P3 -- both hard and very hard mode are excellent challenges depending on just how much you want to go for. Normal's... Alright, but pretty darn easy.

What we end up with is gameplay where you're encouraged and often required to work with all of the available playable characters, a battle system that heavily rewards skill and strategy with improved knockdown/stun mechanics and enemies that will kill you in a heartbeat if you're not prepared, and a good story with characters that get a great deal of development as the game goes on, though slightly hindered by the PSPs less than ideal presentation.

Now I don't mean to say P4 is a bad game, because it's also very good in its own right. And I don't mean to say P3FES is either, but it's utterly blown out of the water by its PSP counterpart and even by P4. To be honest, the battle system in original P3 was not very good, and it's largely because of the AI but also because of less obvious things like overly exploitable knockdowns, bad agility system, lack of difficulty, etc.

In P3FES you will have go be prepared to spend the entire late game as your party's designated healer. In P4 you will soon get a party that's just far too powerful to ever be challenged by the game anymore until the final bosses. In P3P they finally perfected it.