noticed that in most JRPGs and curious

#41TaaronPosted 2/6/2013 7:33:25 AM
crimson-falcon posted...
badboy posted...
Actually light is quite common. In Chrono Cross it is the case too. In Final Fantasy IV, you start as dark elemental til Cecil becomes a Paladin.

same as chrono cross you transform to lynx and becomes dark elemental for limited time

no i mean hero origin element

1- FF7 cloud = light

2- FF8 squall = light

3- FF9 zidane = non elemental i guess lol

4- FF10 Tidus = non elemental

5- Legend of Dragoon Dart = Fire

6- Legend of Legaia Vahn = Fire

7- Legend of Legaia 2 Lang = Fire

8- Valkyrie Profile 2 Alicia = light

9- Chrono Trigger Chrono = Lightning

10- Chrono Cross Serge = Light

11- FF13 Lightning = Light

12- FF13-2 Noel = Light

13- FF12 Vaan = Light

14- Siukoden III Claire , Hugo & Geddoe = Light

15- Siukoden IV Any Name = Dark

thats what i remember atm but played more than 40 JRPGs

I would argue that all of those FF characters listed are non-elemental. Memory may be off on them but they do not have and elemental strengths or weaknesses to associate them with elementals.

Cloud can equip materia therefore can be customized however, same with Squall and equipable GF and magic. Lightning can learn different types of magic though is bound to the Odin summon which is electric/lightning based elemental, not light/holy. Don't remember too much about Vaan or Noel, but I would classify them as non elemental as well. If I wanted to stretch the nature of characters, Tidus can be considered water due to his affiliation with Blitz Ball and swiming. Vaan could also be considered wind due to his affiliation with wanting to be/being a Sky Pirate. Zidane may also be stretched as being wind due to his carefree nature early on which is generally associated with wind elemental in Japanese culture. As I said thouhg, the last three are stretching it and I do consider them to be non-elementals.

Main character from Persona 1 starts off as a Wind elemental, but since the game requires switching Personas constantly, difficult to classify any character as a specific elemental.

I also disagree with the characters in Suikoden 3 being all considered light elementals considering they are each given a true rune of fire, water, and... forget the third rune. I believe the main character you pick is given the true fire rune however so that does match one of the points you mentioned.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#42ChiroteraPosted 2/6/2013 7:45:41 AM(edited)
illahstrait2 posted...
And yet no one mentions the secret of mana or ogre battle?

I see your Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle and raise you the following;

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Breath of Fire
The 7th Saga
Lunar: The Silver Star
Dark Wizard

All of which released in 1993 (As did Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle)

Talk about a good year...

Anyways Ogre Battle your element depended on the choices you made at the beginning of the game. It's been awhile since I've played Ogre Battle 64, so I can't remember if that game gave Destin a canon element - but if I had to guess, I'd say it was ice.
---
Detroit Red Wings: #9, #12, #7, #10, #1, #19, (#6), (#16), #5
#43Bane766Posted 2/6/2013 7:54:52 AM
Chirotera posted...
Tiael posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
I still can't associate people who started after 1997 as "old" RPG gamers lol.
I guess it's been 16 years now.....

I'm old. ;(

Oh you're young.
Playing RPGs since I was 5 in '89 here.

Same here. My first RPG was Dragon Warrior, which came free with a subscription to Nintendo Power. Been addicted to them ever since.

Just have to shake my head at these kids and their "well I played some RPGs in the latter 90s!" Damn kids, get off my lawn!

My first RPG was DW with that NP subscription as well. I was older than 5. I think i was 9 or so. Then FF for me as well. It's been my favorite genre since.
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#44Bane766Posted 2/6/2013 7:59:56 AM
Chirotera posted...
illahstrait2 posted...
And yet no one mentions the secret of mana or ogre battle?

I see your Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle and raise you the following;

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Breath of Fire
The 7th Saga
Lunar: The Silver Star
Dark Wizard

All of which released in 1993 (As did Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle)

Talk about a good year...

Anyways Ogre Battle your element depended on the choices you made at the beginning of the game. It's been awhile since I've played Ogre Battle 64, so I can't remember if that game gave Destin a canon element - but if I had to guess, I'd say it was ice.

Yeah it was a good year for rpg's. Although I've never heard of Dark Wizard and I thought I had finished and owned most of the older RPG's out there (btw, I still have all those games, except for Dark Wizard-even Ogre Battle 64)
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#45lVlAtlZiXPosted 2/6/2013 8:00:06 AM
Fei from Xenogears is pretty much a Darkness type, even though there arent really any elements attached to characters.
---
GT: MAtRiX 757
PSN: MAtRiX_757
#46darklyger64Posted 2/6/2013 8:11:43 AM
SupahJem posted...
Are people confused on what JRPG's are? Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games are not JRPG's.. RPG and JRPG are different genres.

Care to explain and reiterate the difference?

Other than the fact that these RPGs are made and from Japan?

I feel that they, don't particular have any difference.
RPG, is a role playing game, you take a role of a character and you play the game. (very simplified version) Am I not correct?

Even if you try to differentiate the mechanics of the game, not all RPG games from japan have the same mechanics.

Idk... Maybe I'm ignorant of the matter, but I would like to hear your allegations towards this subject (not asking from other posters/members, I want answer from this particular user)

For me, RPGs...

-Tend to have stats to level up
-You grind levels
-You collect items that makes your character stronger
-Tend to have random fighting encounters (except as of lately)
and etc.

The only difference I can find between RPG games from Japan and RPG games from western, is that RPG games from Japan tend to be anime oriented, with the only exception that crosses my mind is Dark Souls.

Sorry OT, if my response tends to move away from your thread's original topic.
I just want some clarification from this particular user, what the difference is.
Since he implies that he is knowledgeable about JRPG,
#47Bane766Posted 2/6/2013 8:19:00 AM
darklyger64 posted...
SupahJem posted...
Are people confused on what JRPG's are? Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games are not JRPG's.. RPG and JRPG are different genres.

Care to explain and reiterate the difference?

Other than the fact that these RPGs are made and from Japan?

I feel that they, don't particular have any difference.
RPG, is a role playing game, you take a role of a character and you play the game. (very simplified version) Am I not correct?

Even if you try to differentiate the mechanics of the game, not all RPG games from japan have the same mechanics.

Idk... Maybe I'm ignorant of the matter, but I would like to hear your allegations towards this subject (not asking from other posters/members, I want answer from this particular user)

For me, RPGs...

-Tend to have stats to level up
-You grind levels
-You collect items that makes your character stronger
-Tend to have random fighting encounters (except as of lately)
and etc.

The only difference I can find between RPG games from Japan and RPG games from western, is that RPG games from Japan tend to be anime oriented, with the only exception that crosses my mind is Dark Souls.

Sorry OT, if my response tends to move away from your thread's original topic.
I just want some clarification from this particular user, what the difference is.
Since he implies that he is knowledgeable about JRPG,

I think this person was just obviously trolling-even though you didn't ask me :P
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#48poolsharky27Posted 2/6/2013 8:48:37 AM(edited)
I usually think of a JRPGs as turn-based/menu driven, and heavily story emphasized.

And I see WRPGs as more free-roam and sandbox based game, usually with action based combat.

Everything else is pretty much ActionRPG or StrategyRPG. At least, this is how I've always viewed it.
#49jimmer2005Posted 2/6/2013 8:53:42 AM
Yuri from tales of vesperia had wind attacks
disgaea 1-4 main people has dark stats
#50Metal_Gear_LinkPosted 2/6/2013 8:57:26 AM
SupahJem posted...

JRPGs are path of the RPG genere such as WRPGs are
---
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 and SUPER SMASH BROSS BRAWL!!! 2007 games of the year!!!!
If you believe in Goku and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.