If you like Ni no Kuni, you must play...

#71AalviPosted 2/7/2013 4:13:23 AM
pecorre posted...
Slayn posted...
You forgot Pokemon.

I never played any Pokemon game... that's why.

That is very sad to hear...
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#72TiaelPosted 2/7/2013 5:21:30 AM
pruvmerong posted...
It has a story, just not an overarching one, but the individual storylines for each town/area that tie in with the main story.
But that's similar to the snippets of the islands regarding DQVII, and that's personally a favorite one.

Sure there is a story. But the main character is a silent protagonist, and your other party members are nameless persons that you create and have no dialogue, personalities or backstory. Without characters, I'm not even sure I'd call it a story.

And I'd argue that's more a throwback to DQIII, and nothing inherently wrong with it.

And that it's not necessarily about the party in DQIX, but more the story about the other characters that populate the world, their trials, their tribulations and having to "fix" what is affecting them.
That's still a story, it's just a different method of conveying it.
DQVII had a similar aspect, and that's personally the best DQ game with all the islands and the quirky characters within.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni - Captain Whamtastic http://i.imgur.com/IVH6BX0.jpg
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five. Da Bears!
#73pondrthisPosted 2/7/2013 12:44:49 PM
Asthreon posted...
pondrthis posted...
NnK is most like Pokemon, but with the best JRPG story in a long time, probably since CT. All the good writers must have gone to making visual novels, or something.

What is so great about NnK's story? It seems pretty by-the-numbers and even a little lackluster to me.

I dunno, it's the first RPG where I was actually in awe at the obligatory main-character-epic-powerup moment (Vileheart II). Probably because they had it happen in a special boss battle with unique battle music, and suddenly changed Oliver's casting animation to an epic one. I hate playing as main characters, so I usually also hate when games change the balance even more in the main's favor.

Still, note that I didn't say NnK had a good story, I said it had the best JRPG story in a long time. Its story is better than any Final Fantasy, better than the one Tales game I've played, better than any Tri-Ace game I've played, etc. The entire genre is lackluster.
#74TTUJimPosted 2/7/2013 1:07:07 PM
badboy posted...
Bane766 posted...
Shibuto posted...
Chrono Cross (PS1) ("another world")

DO NOT play it on the PS1 it sucks...

Yes. While I loved CT back in the day, and occasionally still play it now, I hated CC. I still cannot stand that game. The Characters are trash, the color battle system is terrible...the game is just bad. It's not really a sequel to CT...when they made it they lost alot of the people who made the original and it shows.

That's opinionated, there are a lot of people who liked it. Anyway, it's not meant to be a sequel to CT, it's like how the FF games are related, each has different gameplay but a few common elements.

I... What? While Cross may not be a direct sequel to Trigger it is still a sequel of sorts. The game has characters that embody the souls of ones from Trigger. Hell, Trigger characters show up in Cross and the creator of the game intended for Janus to be in the game but scrapped it at the end,
#75EurAsianGirlPosted 2/7/2013 4:20:27 PM
pondrthis posted...
NnK is most like Pokemon, but with the best JRPG story in a long time, probably since CT. All the good writers must have gone to making visual novels, or something.

Grandia 1 and 2, Lunar 1 and 2, Arc The Lad 2, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII through X (VI came out around the same time as Chrono Trigger right? So that doesn't count) Tales Of The Abyss, Tales Of Symphonia, Suikoden II and V, and Skies of Arcadia say hi.
---
JRPG lover and not ashamed of it
Avid fan of the Grandia and Lunar series.
#76pondrthisPosted 2/7/2013 4:50:37 PM
EurAsianGirl posted...

Grandia 1 and 2, Lunar 1 and 2, Arc The Lad 2, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII through X (VI came out around the same time as Chrono Trigger right? So that doesn't count) Tales Of The Abyss, Tales Of Symphonia, Suikoden II and V, and Skies of Arcadia say hi.

Although I've only played ~50% of those listed, anyone who cites FF7 as a game with a good story can't be trusted, sorry. FF7 was a disk of chasing a guy from town to town, a disk of being emo, and a disk of 40 Atari arcade classics, and by that I mean nothing but ridiculous minigames.

FFX had a pretty good story, though, even if the characters were lacking for the most part.