The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Familiars get weaker as they metamorphose? Or is my math off?

#1otakon2006Posted 2/6/2013 8:53:53 AM
I just got done doing some calculations using the guide. My first example is Little Bighorn and its metamorphoses. I came to this with rounding down the average growth per level along with comparing the maximum level of the Tier 1 form to an equivalent Tier 2 and 3a(Batterhorn).

Attack/Defense/Magic Attack/Magic Defense/Evasion/Accuracy

70/69/48/42/47/77 Tier 1 level 25
67/66/36/35/37/45 Tier 2 from level 1 to level 25 with average gains(rounded down)
52/52/44/43/71/79 Tier 3a from level 1 to level 25 with average gains(rounded down)

Another thing I noticed with this is that the stat gain averages stayed practically the same within all forms and the only improvement was from the level cap increase. I'm going to do this with several other familiars as well so I can cross reference.

Also another thing to note was a loss of about 75% of your stats when metamorphing to the next tier. Anything anyone cares to add would be welcome.
#2TohruAdachiPosted 2/6/2013 8:56:29 AM
Maybe because the second and third tier have a higher level capacity you can reach too and well you get more skills too,but who knows I'm just a scrub...
#3matodaPosted 2/6/2013 8:59:04 AM
Little Bighorn has an 'early' growth rate so it's stat increases will be greater in the earlier levels up up until the cap of 25 iirc

the tier 2 and tier 3 forms are normal growth rates so if you're comparing them at level 25 they will have lower stat increases
---
You look well, child.
#4DualShooter23Posted 2/6/2013 9:01:17 AM
Yes they do get weaker at first. They will however outclass their previous form later on. Final Evolution of bighorn will be able to go to levels way beyond the cap of the previous two. I think they did this so you used your other familiars while the recently evolved one gets stronger.
#5the_requiemPosted 2/6/2013 9:08:27 AM
While reading the guide you may have also noticed that:

Little Bighorn has Early growth pattern.
Bighorn has Normal growth pattern.

If you try a familiar with Early growth pattern even in 2nd form, you will see it will surpass 1st form at same level.

But then, what do I know, am just a guy on internet.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Unfinished Swan
#6PFireflyPosted 2/6/2013 9:12:33 AM
Your math isn't off, just your conclusions. The only reason this is the case with the familiar you used is, early riser with a max lvl of 25 vs average stat gain with a max of 45, vs average gain max of 99.

You're comparing the stats of of a 100% monster to a 55% monster to a 25% monster. The fact is, his second form will gain stats steadily over the course of his lvls. So it will not gain stats as quickly as an earlier riser which gains the bulk of them in the first 30% of its life. Nor will the average gain of a max 45 be equal to the average gain of a max 99.

If you were to compare the 3 tiers of a familiar that always has early riser, but with a higher lvl cap, then you would see its stronger each time at the same level. That's what you should have done in the first place if you wanted to do a proper comparison.
---
Alice returns in 2011, I'll be ready... http://www.ea.com/alice
Inception ending spoiler: http://twitpic.com/26k9ub
#7quakernautic2Posted 2/6/2013 9:14:32 AM
hopes this help you figure it out...

LITTLE BIG HORN LVL CAP 25, pattern early, max attack 70, max defense 69
BIG HORN LVL CAP 45, pattern Average, max attack 116, max defense 113

BATTERHORN LVL CAP 99, pattern Average, max attack 263, max defense 255
or
SPLATTERHORN LVL CAP 99, pattern Average, max attack 257, max defense 238
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/QUAKeR---.png
#8otakon2006(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 4:46:32 PM
quakernautic2 posted...

or

Yeah but I wasn't comparing a level 99 to a level 25, that's kind of pointless. I'm comparing it to the same level it metamorphosed at i.e. 25. However in this case apparently an Early Riser will have better stats at the same level then an Average or a Late Bloomer type of familiar. The point was at the equivalent level, the familiar seems weaker than it's Tier 1 form, however this only seems to be the case with Early Riser vs. Average/Late Bloomers.
#9Aposter26Posted 2/6/2013 5:46:37 PM
Some are a bit weaker right after you metamorph them, but it doesn't last long. Just level it up a few times and it will be stronger than the earlier evolution.
#10ZEOPOWER6Posted 2/6/2013 7:36:10 PM
otakon2006 posted...
quakernautic2 posted...

or

Yeah but I wasn't comparing a level 99 to a level 25, that's kind of pointless. I'm comparing it to the same level it metamorphosed at i.e. 25. However in this case apparently an Early Riser will have better stats at the same level then an Average or a Late Bloomer type of familiar. The point was at the equivalent level, the familiar seems weaker than it's Tier 1 form, however this only seems to be the case with Early Riser vs. Average/Late Bloomers.

I find the main reason you'd metamorphose is to gain new Tricks and get the higher stats at later levels. If you don't want to do that though, you might as well just keep it at the first/second form.