Anyone else not particularly enjoying the soundtrack?

#1PffrbtPosted 2/6/2013 10:27:06 PM
It reminds me a lot of Mario Galaxy in that it's far too loud and intense and trying way too hard to sound majestic way too much of the time. Most of the tracks sound almost bombastically inappropriate.

Some restraint and variety would be nice. A little personality would help too since the soundtrack right now is a swelling blob of crescendos and noise.
#2crazymilesPosted 2/6/2013 10:27:51 PM
I agree. I don't understand why everyone is wetting themselves over the soundtrack. The battle music in particular is terrible.
---
PSN: joshthecynic
#3Isaac_RedfieldPosted 2/6/2013 10:31:44 PM(edited)
It's really only the town music that's any good. Particularly Al-Mamoon and Hamelin. After my first playthrough, I don't even bother listening to the in game sound.
#4IMRavnosPosted 2/6/2013 10:31:09 PM
I disagree with 99% of the posts above me. Yes the battle music got old, all the other music is great. Not quite NIER great, but great.

But I'm a fan of Studio Ghibli movies and their soundtracks and I also enjoy full orchestra Symphony music like this....

What game soundtracks do you find more enjoyable out of curiosity?
#5Isaac_RedfieldPosted 2/6/2013 10:33:25 PM(edited)
It's better than Nier, and easily. Nier's music is ruined by the incessant "angelic" vocals on almost every single track. They get old, fast.

As far as what has a better soundtrack in general? As much as it's mentioned; Xenoblade. Probably has one of the best soundtracks of a 2012 release.
#6ZEOPOWER6Posted 2/6/2013 10:35:25 PM(edited)
I actually haven't seen too many people saying "Woah this soundtrack is incredible!" but it's better than average. I love the post-arc theme. <3

Keep in mind that Joe Hisaishi does not normally do game music and tends to do film scores so it's going to have that sort of feel to it.
#7Isaac_RedfieldPosted 2/6/2013 10:36:18 PM
If it has anything in common with DQ8 other than the aytpical presentation, it would be the music. The music of NNK kept making me think of DQ8.
#8Pffrbt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:37:17 PM
Sometimes I just have to take off my headphones to give my ears a rest from the incredibly noisy soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRaXqbAuFE&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

I wish the soundtrack had some laid back music like this.

Joe Hisaishi is capable of better music than what's in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31nOaXSeqSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCpFeE68Yjg

I don't get why almost every track in this game had to be bombastic noise.
#9FishermanFriendPosted 2/6/2013 10:41:58 PM
I thought the sound track was the best part of the game.
#10Pffrbt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:43:35 PM
IMRavnos posted...
What game soundtracks do you find more enjoyable out of curiosity?

JSRF, JSR, NiGHTS into Dreams, Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, Xenosaga EP. 1, Sonic 3, Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, Final Fantasy X and previous Final Fantasies,

ZEOPOWER6 posted...
Keep in mind that Joe Hisaishi does not normally do game music and tends to do film scores so it's going to have that sort of feel to it.

His film scores are far better though.