Would you play NNK, if no monster hunting were involved?

#11Fa1nTyPosted 2/7/2013 1:26:00 AM
No.

Outside of team building the game does not really stand out much for me.

I play games for gameplay, others play for story and music.

Ni no kuni does not have amazing gameplay, but the team building and customization fill that gap.

Remove that, and you are left with

1. A general lack of difficulty, even if you avoid griding

2. a pretty poor alchemy system compared to say Dragon Quest VIII, with actually a very small number of total items (there are like only 6? hammers, for example)

3. lack of character progression. A game like Grandia where every spell or skill you use makes you stronger is what RPGs need. You gain nothing in NNK when you win a fight except XP and money. All the good items are stolen or found in spawn points. Money is mostly useless.
---
PSN : Fa1nT6
Dark Souls Tips - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB557B8555A0AD36A&feature=plcp
#12badboyPosted 2/7/2013 1:52:46 AM
Only if there are more characters.
#13animeloverzzPosted 2/7/2013 1:56:51 AM
Imo the familiar system is what makes the battle system interesting. But if you ask me about FF XIII-2 then I prefer no monster members but make all the old casts playable.
---
Now Playing : Persona 4 Golden , Ni no Kuni
#14ClawiLewakPosted 2/7/2013 2:21:35 AM
I'd say it would stand good as a game in its own right.

But!

I wouldn't enjoy it as much unless there was some sort of compensating feature (such as the class levelling aspect of DQ9) but then that would essentially turn the game into DQX.
#15crimson-falconPosted 2/7/2013 2:26:40 AM
taming is a bonus thing for me

so its wont affect if it have or havent
---
want to say (Great ) in other ways?
say (Tidy ) or ( Neato ) :)
#16PffrbtPosted 2/7/2013 2:30:28 AM
I don't know. The battle system kind of already sucks, taking away the variety of familiars would suck what little depth there is out of it.
#17dudeitscoolPosted 2/7/2013 5:51:15 AM
Yes but Esther would be replaced with the "extra" character ASAP.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...