Are you watching this Square Enix?

#101SedatedPosted 2/7/2013 2:22:00 PM
Square Enix is just a joke.

They tried to get different sites/magazines to wait to review FFXIV so people couldn't read reviews to realize how badly it sucked until they were already stuck with the turd of a game.

Not to mention while the reviews were low for the game they should have been lower and probably would have been if any other company put out that piece of crap game.

Anyone who thinks that game was good either works for SE or has brain damage.
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#102Gloomknight85Posted 2/7/2013 3:59:11 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
Damien94 posted...
I really don't get everyone's problem with FFXIII. The main complaint I hear is "linear". But the issue with that is that the game was no more linear than it's predecessors. It was just more obvious since the "world map" was essentially zoomed in. In previous games you could travel around the map, but it didn't do you any good except for random encounters. You still couldn't continue the story unless you went to a specific place, and you were locked out of places you weren't supposed to go yet.

It's just a special set of blinders/rose-tinted glasses brought to light by making it over-the-shoulder instead of top-down.

See, and this is why I know people that defend 13 don't know what they are talking about. When people say linear, they don't just mean you're running through hallways. Final Fantasy 13 is linear in every sense of the word. Party members? **** it, you can't choose them until Chapter 10, and even then, the game crams Lightning into the until Chapter 11. Before that point, you can never choose party members at all because of "the story," A story so poorly crafted that I'd wager that no one even bothered to edit anything from it. If a story is going to dictate gameplay so much it better be good. 13's isn't. It's a complete mess. Anything that could be good is so poorly communicated that it becomes moot about the ideas behind the progression.

Level progression? It's idiotic. I'm given a limited arsenal of skills, and I literally have no real choices for how I'm going to evolve my characters. I may as well not even be given the choice considering how linear the progression is. Is there any reason to not have a straight up level system? There's innovation, and then there's a waste of time. Final Fantasy 13 hits that level. Even worse, is that it tries to vary the characters by having them have ****tier movesets. Lightning's medic class for instance is pretty much garbage and yet it's supposed to be one of her "main" skillsets. Did they even playtest this game? How could they think that this was a strong paradigm for her?

Weapon upgrading system? It's pathetic. Not only can you barely use it over the course of the game without massive grinding, but it's not even intuitive. You have no idea what items you should be using on what, and there's not really any hints available. Trial and error is the only real way. Even worse, is that the weapons have arbitrary level caps, so it's possible to continue upgrading a really terrible weapon. Yay. I'd rather just have the system of going to a new place and buying new weapons. It's simpler and less of a time sink.

The only other Final Fantasy games that actually rip control from you like this for party control is 4 and 9. It sucked in those. It's obviously going to suck in FF13. I could go on and on about the faults of FF13. It's hardly nostalgia. People need to stop saying that BS every time someone doesn't worship the newest entry in a series.

I agree with Bronze stuff. Since 9 they just keep taking more and more away from the series. Even though ive platinumed 13 and 13-2 they didn't feel very rpg like. Its like SE focused on the graphics and the new combat system and rushed the rest, it didn't feel like a final fantasy game at all.
Taking the world map away because of laziness for a dull fast travel destroys alot of the fun for me. I play rpgs like this for the sense of exploration, stumbling on an optional boss for cool loot and seeing a whole created world is very special which is why i love ni no kuni, blue dragon, ff8, 9 and even rainbow moon and its something this generation hasn't seen alot of, specially if your a ps3 owner
#103DDR MidianPosted 2/7/2013 4:50:30 PM
Thanatos2k posted...
Now I'm just laughing at the idea that majority vote equals good taste.

Majority subset of experienced RPG players in this case - also known as "people who know what they're talking about" - not all gamers.

Ahh, elitists. They're never happy. No thanks, I'm too level-headed for that kind of thinking. The best part is they're so involved with their superiority they never notice when they're being laughed at.
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX
#104zyrax2301Posted 2/7/2013 4:57:38 PM
DDR Midian posted...
Thanatos2k posted...
Now I'm just laughing at the idea that majority vote equals good taste.

Majority subset of experienced RPG players in this case - also known as "people who know what they're talking about" - not all gamers.

Ahh, elitists. They're never happy. No thanks, I'm too level-headed for that kind of thinking. The best part is they're so involved with their superiority they never notice when they're being laughed at.

I don't think elitism applies here. Obviously an RPG fan would have some sort of basis to compare with and form their opinions of other RPGs, while someone who has never played an RPG would just be dropped in the deep end. They may be able to tell a good game when they play it, but how can they tell what a good RPG is if they haven't had any other experience?
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#105Thanatos2kPosted 2/7/2013 5:33:18 PM

No, not elitists - people with experience.

Sounds like YOU'RE the elitist.

I don't think elitism applies here. Obviously an RPG fan would have some sort of basis to compare with and form their opinions of other RPGs, while someone who has never played an RPG would just be dropped in the deep end. They may be able to tell a good game when they play it, but how can they tell what a good RPG is if they haven't had any other experience?

This is an actual level-headed person.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#106FishermanFriendPosted 2/7/2013 6:10:11 PM(edited)
Yup SE sure is a screw up. They make the games they want and sell millions and this game sells a few hundred thousand. Take note SE. Do what these guys do if you want to cut your profits by hundreds of thousands!

New FF games might not have as many traditional jrpg elements that some wish for, but at least SE knows how to make a proper friggin AI and battle system.
#107thisranksPosted 2/7/2013 6:34:09 PM
LLelouch posted...
Square doesn't listen to their fanbase, and they probably never will.

That's funny considering i'm part of that fanbase and enjoyed FFXIII and -2. Of course i'm not part of that fanbase who has a pre-conceived definition of how their games should be developed.

Your dislike of SE's games is a personal issue and you resort to blaming SE instead. You don't make development rules and expect these people to follow them.

Until you grow up and recognise this you continue to fail as a gamer.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#108Thanatos2kPosted 2/7/2013 6:36:56 PM(edited)
That's funny considering i'm part of that fanbase and enjoyed FFXIII and -2. Of course i'm not part of that fanbase who has a pre-conceived definition of how their games should be developed.

Yeah clearly you're not one who has a pre-conceived notion that they should make good games.

You probably bought Unlimited SaGa.

From someone who likes FF13.....hahahahaha
---
-Thanatos2k-
#109FishermanFriendPosted 2/7/2013 6:40:08 PM
Thanatos2k posted...

Yeah clearly you're not one who has a pre-conceived notion that they should make good games.

You probably bought Unlimited SaGa.

From someone who likes FF13.....hahahahaha

What an amazing rebuttal. You sure shut him down.
#110hyperknees91Posted 2/7/2013 6:41:02 PM
XIII-2 was a good example of Square-Enix listening to their fan-base if you ask me.

But I agree the company makes some pretty lame games these days, but there's always the occasional awesome-sauce game from them (Twewy, BBS). So It kinda evens out sometimes?

Not like Level-5 makes stellar hits constantly either.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990