Are you watching this Square Enix?

#121LeanaunfurledPosted 2/7/2013 9:17:29 PM
That's what I'm getting at. Square prioritizes their business, hence why only FF13-2 was localized. I'm not saying this is wrong, but people should stop hoping for Square to listen to us.

They do with some things, like with XIII-2, but you're right that people shouldn't expect them to localize with little to no profit in it for them. It's unfortunate, it looks like a great game, but at this point our hope is to either learn Japanese or wait for the translation team to get a move on.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#122MetalKeiyaPosted 2/7/2013 9:20:10 PM
I think the main reason why Ni no Kuni's so successful is that there's been a lack of JRPG's on the home consoles (even if you throw in NISA, XSeed and Atlus' efforts, it's still a fraction of the JRPG library of the SNES/PS2/PS3), and more importantly, there's been a lack of JRPG's on the home consoles that follow the more traditional approach. The result is either you got games that are very niche (anything NISA releases), or the ones that try to deviate from the traditional approach (FFXIII, Tales of Graces, Resonance of Fate, Xenoblade Chronicles). They've been heavily experimental this generation, but with mixed results.

So, in a bit of an irony, Ni no Kuni is a breath of fresh air by actually returning to tradition. It took all the tropes, norms, and traditions of a JRPG, but presented them in such a good and detailed way that you can't help but enjoy the game. In a way, Ni no Kuni is what Square Enix was pre-FFXI, and what Square Enix needs to be, according to the fanbase.

So, if anything, Ni no Kuni is a very good counterpoint to this idea that JRPG's need to be experimental and move away from norms to be successful, and it's also an excellent counterpoint to Greg Zeschuk's claim that JRPG's are irrelevant because of their structure.
---
By reading this post, I have just killed off one of your brain cells.
#123Thanatos2kPosted 2/7/2013 9:21:53 PM
They do with some things, like with XIII-2, but you're right that people shouldn't expect them to localize with little to no profit in it for them. It's unfortunate, it looks like a great game, but at this point our hope is to either learn Japanese or wait for the translation team to get a move on.

If they're not going to do it, let XSeed do it. They'd be glad to.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#124nicodemus82Posted 2/7/2013 9:22:07 PM
FFXIII was bad. The characters were instantly forgettable and uninteresting and the story was a convoluted mess. That being said i did have some fun with it thanks to the battle system which I enjoyed.
That story really should have ended there though. The majority of people disliked the game and yet SE decided to make not one but two damn sequels to it... Smh
---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Nicodemus82
#125LLelouchPosted 2/7/2013 9:26:54 PM
Thanatos2k posted...

If they're not going to do it, let XSeed do it. They'd be glad to.

Who knows, maybe SE is serious about outsourcing some of their work. I wouldn't mind, personally.
---
No matter what you plan for, always have a backup.
#126Bronze_StuffPosted 2/7/2013 9:32:28 PM
Leanaunfurled posted...
Versus isn't on the PSP so what's your point? And with that remark, I and many others awaiting Versus are glad you're not in charge of Versus development, then.

Because from a developmental standpoint... It's a nightmare. That's my point. Obviously someone that's awaiting it would be glad.
---
Jimbo.
#127AceviperPosted 2/7/2013 10:49:36 PM
Leanaunfurled posted...
and they followed their business logic over their fanbase.

They can't even be blamed for that. You can't honestly expect them to spend the resources and time localizing a game at a loss.

*cough*FF14*cough*
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#128the_requiemPosted 2/8/2013 12:17:35 AM
SilentProtag posted...
also yes it's nice to see games go back to their roots, but don't pretend this game sold for any reason other than Ghibli designs.

people prefer new and innovative battle systems over stagnant ones.

Nope. People prefer nostalgia above anything else. After a really long time, old becomes the new, new. Why else you think they're remaking movies and TV shows all the time.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Unfinished Swan
#129Thanatos2kPosted 2/8/2013 12:28:13 AM
the_requiem posted...
SilentProtag posted...
also yes it's nice to see games go back to their roots, but don't pretend this game sold for any reason other than Ghibli designs.

people prefer new and innovative battle systems over stagnant ones.

Nope. People prefer nostalgia above anything else. After a really long time, old becomes the new, new. Why else you think they're remaking movies and TV shows all the time.

Brand recognition.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#130DDR MidianPosted 2/8/2013 2:21:07 AM
zyrax2301 posted...
I don't think elitism applies here. Obviously an RPG fan would have some sort of basis to compare with and form their opinions of other RPGs, while someone who has never played an RPG would just be dropped in the deep end. They may be able to tell a good game when they play it, but how can they tell what a good RPG is if they haven't had any other experience?

Oh it definitely applies when both sides have equal amounts of experience but one small subset still maintain their superiority over the other and assume that differences in taste must therefore mean the other side has less experience. It's a logical fallacy and comes about purely thanks to elitism.

Thanatos2k posted...
No, not elitists - people with experience.

Sounds like YOU'RE the elitist.

Poor child, you're so mixed up. The trouble is, I do have experience. I've been playing games on as many platforms as possible for over 20 years in no small amount. The fact I like so many of them is because I'm reasonable and accepting. I appreciate games for what they are rather than what I expected from them. I understand and acknowledge the thousands upon thousands of man-hours that go into planning and developing a title, and I'm not so self-obsessed that as soon as somebody attempts something different I start kicking and screaming.

Remember me mentioning that back in my first post? I was making a point about a certain type of gamer, and ever since I wrote that, you sir, have done some absolutely epic kicking and screaming. You've done nothing but reenforce my view.
---
GFAQs - Where anything is grounds for moderation, courtesy of selective wordplay.
XBL: DDR Midian / PSN: MidianGTX