Are you watching this Square Enix?

#41Cobra1010Posted 2/7/2013 6:07:57 AM(edited)
I dont know if you guys realise but if you think about it, the effort they put into the backgrounds and environments of FF13 is bare minimal. Its a budjet game where you just run down a corridor. Whereas if you look at games like Uncharted, also linear game, the environments are built beautifully and you dont feel like your just running down a corridor. At least games like uncharted mix it up, you have puzzle solving, gun fighting, bit of stealth and platforming.

For christs sake, they dont even have climb animation or interactive edges for you to climb on. You have to find a bloody circle to do a jump.

I don't know how people can defend a game as bad as FF13. And its even more laughable when you look at japanese magazines giving the game 40/40 or something.

I say they've been spending too much time on thinking of stupid looking vans with angled wheels, flying weird objects and instead of exhaust smoke, vehicles spit out gundam particles.

The list goes on.
---
Playing: Nothing, maybe a bit of LoL. Am I getting old or are games this gen just mediocre?
--Yoichi Wada needs to be fired--
#42LeanaunfurledPosted 2/7/2013 6:06:55 AM
Square Enix still gets more sales than Ni No Kuni, so I'm sure they don't care, and I don't care as well. JRPGs don't have to be glued to old school style to be good, and I wouldn't want them to.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#43Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/7/2013 6:07:21 AM
Damien94 posted...
I really don't get everyone's problem with FFXIII. The main complaint I hear is "linear". But the issue with that is that the game was no more linear than it's predecessors. It was just more obvious since the "world map" was essentially zoomed in. In previous games you could travel around the map, but it didn't do you any good except for random encounters. You still couldn't continue the story unless you went to a specific place, and you were locked out of places you weren't supposed to go yet.

It's just a special set of blinders/rose-tinted glasses brought to light by making it over-the-shoulder instead of top-down.

This is patently false. X , XI, and XII didn't have world maps either and they are no where near as linear as XIII. XIII is on rails for the first 2/3 of the game. The map design is a tube with few/no hidden side areas etc. The growth system might as well be automatic because it comes across as a poor man's sphere grid with no thought/customization to character builds.
#44Hash062Posted 2/7/2013 6:08:25 AM
Square-Enix isn't watching or listening, but I agree with the sentiment. JRPG should stay that way, and become better on their own style, without becoming so "revolutionary" they turn out into a mess.

Also: Auto battles, jpop culture, motion capture and real-life asian models must go. I'm not saying western models would be better, they would be as bad! Anime style is ok. The most loved JRPG games ever have anime style, so why the **** are they throwing away what works best?
#45uekijusticePosted 2/7/2013 6:12:11 AM
I remember reading an article where Wada stated that Modern Warfare 2 was one of the influences for XIII's game design... LOL!
#46BrimuslabusPosted 2/7/2013 6:14:40 AM
Cobra1010 posted...
I dont know if you guys realise but if you think about it, the effort they put into the backgrounds and environments of FF13 is bare minimal. Its a budjet game where you just run down a corridor. Whereas if you look at games like Uncharted, also linear game, the environments are built beautifully and you dont feel like your just running down a corridor. At least games like uncharted mix it up, you have puzzle solving, gun fighting, bit of stealth and platforming.

I don't know how people can defend a game as bad as FF13. And its even more laughable when you look at japanese magazines giving the game 40/40 or something.

I say they've been spending too much time on thinking of stupid looking vans with angled wheels, flying weird objects and instead of exhaust smoke, vehicles spit out gundam particles.

Actually, Famitsu only gave it 39/40 because one reviewer felt the battle system was a little confusing and too fast to see what was happening.

As for the environments of XIII, they were all fully designed and not bare minimal at all. The point is to stop and take in the scenery, pan the camera around to see different design elements such as the expansive forests and ocean that were just outside of Sunleth Waterscape, or the massive city design they created for Palumpolum, etc. Yes, it was linear but that doesn't mean they didn't design the areas well.

It's funny that you mention gundam like vehicles when the new Xeno title was praised for using a system that looks exactly like a gundam-like vehicle transformation.
#47Cobra1010Posted 2/7/2013 6:19:34 AM(edited)
Look just stop. Your trying too hard. Nobody mentioned gundam-like vehicles.
---
Playing: Nothing, maybe a bit of LoL. Am I getting old or are games this gen just mediocre?
#48BrimuslabusPosted 2/7/2013 6:22:26 AM
Cobra1010 posted...
Look just stop. Your trying too hard. Nobody mentioned gundam-like vehicles.

Uh-huh. It's alright, I was just correcting your mistake. The game didn't get 40/40, that was Final Fantasy XIII-2.
#49Cobra1010Posted 2/7/2013 6:23:42 AM
You might as well want to correct my grammar and spelling while your at it.
---
#50uekijusticePosted 2/7/2013 6:26:15 AM
I wonder how much SE had to pay famitsu to give XIII a 39...