Are you watching this Square Enix?

#61LenneValkiryePosted 2/7/2013 8:13:34 AM
The JRPG genre is almost dead now because the previous generation was full of FF clones, just like this one is full of CoD ones. Don't be surprised if the FPS genre will suffer during the next generation because of this.

People eventually get tired of playing the same game dozens of times, so they lose interest in the genre as a whole.

SE did the right thing not to turn the PS3 FFs into carbon copies of the previous ones, while releasing the occasional oldschool FF (again, like Dimensions) to please the oldschool fans.

This decision, whether you like it or not, is the reason FF is still uncontested in the console JRPG market, as they have always been.

Of course, SE did one gigantic mistake with FFXIV, but that's because they have absolutely no business in the MMORPG field nowdays.
#62DragoonGriffithPosted 2/7/2013 8:18:17 AM
That would all be true, if FFXIII didn't play like unreplayable garbage made out of ****.
---
Waiting for: Tales of Xillia 2
#63LeanaunfurledPosted 2/7/2013 8:23:34 AM
Of course, SE did one gigantic mistake with FFXIV, but that's because they have absolutely no business in the MMORPG field nowdays

Final Fantasy XI and I'm sure its players disagree with that. And XIV: RR looks to be pretty good, with the issue being the stigma that's now attached to it.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#64Rowen_J_IlbertPosted 2/7/2013 8:24:56 AM
Don't mind Snowx_ (LenneValkirye), FFXIII fanboy and White Knight for SE, yet is inept and has no idea about FFXI or ARR.
FFXIV was crap, but ARR is a far cry from it.
#65Rydiafan013Posted 2/7/2013 8:48:03 AM
NNK in all honesty looks boring as hell from what i seen ... it brings nothing new ... it maybe better then 13-2 but that aint saying much
#66drclaeysPosted 2/7/2013 9:18:27 AM
Friends,

I think one of the reasons NNK is so well liked, is because we are STARVING for good RPGS. at one time you could have like 50 on your ps2, you could play for years. Now after like 4+ years, and talk of the ps4, I still have like 15 Ps3 games I like.

NNK filled a nitch, and everyone jumped on it. I loved FFX, I like FFX-2, I loved XII, I got 13 and could not get more then 2 hours in. I started again, and could not get more then 30 minutes in. I KNOW I have to push my self hardly, to get farther, but for some strange reason, its just not fun.

I do hope square takes notice. You DONT need the best looking game, to make sales. Thats only one part. There are lots of parts to a good video game.

Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#67Vidius101Posted 2/7/2013 9:25:42 AM
Good msg, Square Enix won't ever listen to fan advice lol.
---
Programmed Java, Python, Mat Lab, Project Alice, MS DOS and ADA.
#68IzzythewinnerPosted 2/7/2013 9:31:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#69Thanatos2kPosted 2/7/2013 9:49:40 AM
I respect people who admit they enjoy something far more than those who kick and scream when they don't. Anti-XIII are the biggest kickers and screamers RPGs have had in years, matched only by the ME3 ending crowd. For that reason, I like FFXIII.

It doesn't get much more pathetic than liking something because everyone else hates it.

Then people complained that Lightning wasn't the main character

Not a single person complained about this.

and that the story didn't have a true ending,

Um, the ending to Final Fantasy 13-2 is one of the worst endings in the history of video games. Who asked for THAT?

This decision, whether you like it or not, is the reason FF is still uncontested in the console JRPG market, as they have always been.

By uncontested I think you mean "riding on name recognition alone." Call of Duty will be able to do that next gen as FPS games die. Quality of the games themselves doesn't matter.

See, and this is why I know people that defend 13 don't know what they are talking about. When people say linear, they don't just mean you're running through hallways. Final Fantasy 13 is linear in every sense of the word. Party members? **** it, you can't choose them until Chapter 10, and even then, the game crams Lightning into the until Chapter 11. Before that point, you can never choose party members at all because of "the story," A story so poorly crafted that I'd wager that no one even bothered to edit anything from it. If a story is going to dictate gameplay so much it better be good. 13's isn't. It's a complete mess. Anything that could be good is so poorly communicated that it becomes moot about the ideas behind the progression.

Level progression? It's idiotic. I'm given a limited arsenal of skills, and I literally have no real choices for how I'm going to evolve my characters. I may as well not even be given the choice considering how linear the progression is. Is there any reason to not have a straight up level system? There's innovation, and then there's a waste of time. Final Fantasy 13 hits that level. Even worse, is that it tries to vary the characters by having them have ****tier movesets. Lightning's medic class for instance is pretty much garbage and yet it's supposed to be one of her "main" skillsets. Did they even playtest this game? How could they think that this was a strong paradigm for her?

Weapon upgrading system? It's pathetic. Not only can you barely use it over the course of the game without massive grinding, but it's not even intuitive. You have no idea what items you should be using on what, and there's not really any hints available. Trial and error is the only real way. Even worse, is that the weapons have arbitrary level caps, so it's possible to continue upgrading a really terrible weapon. Yay. I'd rather just have the system of going to a new place and buying new weapons. It's simpler and less of a time sink.

The only other Final Fantasy games that actually rip control from you like this for party control is 4 and 9. It sucked in those. It's obviously going to suck in FF13. I could go on and on about the faults of FF13. It's hardly nostalgia. People need to stop saying that BS every time someone doesn't worship the newest entry in a series.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. The battle system is fatally flawed in multiple ways and poorly balanced
---
-Thanatos2k-
#70DeadSPosted 2/7/2013 9:49:50 AM
Versus and FFX HD are delayed due to FFXIV: ARR according to SE's 2012 financial review... not because they are making FFXIII-3.

Like, 13-2, 13-3 will just be using a lot of previous developed (used and unused) pieces from 13 and 13-2 so it will be a "quick" game to produce from the developers standpoint.
---
"Through time, through space, it will never end."