Tin-Man VS Monolith?

#1DrDuckmanPosted 2/7/2013 12:04:33 PM
I am kinda puzzled by the love for the Monolith in this forum. Granted, his def is amazing, but he does not DO much. He just takes some hits, until someone starts blasting them with magic. His attack consistently does 1 dmg, even on the second form.

I've been thinking of switching him with the Tin man, but I dont want to waste expirience leveling him up to see if he's worth it. But he is the only familiar I have that can take armor and axes, and given that he also takes sheilds, surelly he'll be a good tank as well, while also producing damage?

Keep in mind that with the Aye Aye monkey, I'll already have Upsy Daisy on Swane, so I dont need the paleolith for that.

Also, if I did go for the Tin man, which evolution should I go for? I am thinking Beam man.
#2shadowsfmPosted 2/7/2013 12:08:44 PM
i guess hes a defense/magic user (or was that the cog), while tin man is a defense/melee type. but i agree. i love my steam man
#3XV-DragonPosted 2/7/2013 12:09:41 PM
DrDuckman posted...
I am kinda puzzled by the love for the Monolith in this forum. Granted, his def is amazing, but he does not DO much. He just takes some hits, until someone starts blasting them with magic. His attack consistently does 1 dmg, even on the second form.

I've been thinking of switching him with the Tin man, but I dont want to waste expirience leveling him up to see if he's worth it. But he is the only familiar I have that can take armor and axes, and given that he also takes sheilds, surelly he'll be a good tank as well, while also producing damage?

Keep in mind that with the Aye Aye monkey, I'll already have Upsy Daisy on Swane, so I dont need the paleolith for that.

Also, if I did go for the Tin man, which evolution should I go for? I am thinking Beam man.

Think Monolith's main method of attack might bee magic, Tin Man is the phyical attacker based tank from what I have seen in the stats.

I plan on going with Beam Man as well, it looks like the better route for Tin Man's final form imo
#4DrDuckman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:29:56 PM
The problem with the monolith being a magic attacker is, he does not seem to get any attack spells until his third form. All his spells are debuffs and buffs, which are not great.

Still can anyone who has loved the paleolith tell us if he gets suddenly amazing at form 3? I think I am switching mine for now. Besides, SOMEONE needs to use all those armors.
#5MyzticRedPandaPosted 2/7/2013 12:34:21 PM
He gets upsy daisy, 'nuff said
---
Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all
#6Black_BoxxPosted 2/7/2013 12:54:07 PM
DrDuckman posted...
The problem with the monolith being a magic attacker is, he does not seem to get any attack spells until his third form. All his spells are debuffs and buffs, which are not great.

Still can anyone who has loved the paleolith tell us if he gets suddenly amazing at form 3? I think I am switching mine for now. Besides, SOMEONE needs to use all those armors.

That's what gems are for. Pick a few attack spells you want it to use and then you should be set until it learns its own.

That said, I am using the tin man as well. He makes life easy when you don't need to worry about dying, though he doesn't really do well in dealing damage thanks to all that low accuracy. I already have a girlfiend as Swaine's magic user (giving her some attack spells), so I don't need a monolith type. I don't doubt that my setup is sub-optimal (still learning things about the game and familiars, but I never care for only using the best choice), but I just like the design of the fiend, so I'ma use it.
#7shadowsfmPosted 2/7/2013 1:05:51 PM
i gave my steam man the water hammer because it has no negative accuracy stats and no armor, because they reduce accuracy too
#8LLelouchPosted 2/7/2013 1:16:00 PM
I'm actually using both tin-man and monolith at the moment. It let's you have a tank that can keep defend up nearly 100% of the time, assuming Swaine is the leader of course.

To be honest neither of them are good for attacking, so don't worry too much about their offensive abilities. Yoo-hoo + supportive skills should be your focus.
---
No matter what you plan for, always have a backup.
#9KukaiDragonPosted 2/7/2013 1:18:20 PM
Black_Boxx posted...
DrDuckman posted...

That's what gems are for. Pick a few attack spells you want it to use and then you should be set until it learns its own.

I second this. Monoliths get decent mag atk to go with their insane def.

I haven't decided what to give mine yet as I have not really needed a tank.
#10shadowsfmPosted 2/7/2013 1:22:04 PM
magic familiars aren't very productive. i never set my allies to use mana unless i'm up against a boss.